Thread: Does anyknow

Does anyknow

How Long I Should have Madison's Training Sessions and how many times a day..

I already have her fave treats to reward her with.. Which i think stink to high heaven but the lil fuzz Ball loves them (Liver Treats)...

I've heard five to fifteen minute sessions no more than one to five times a day; gradually holding them longer and longer as she gets older and her attention span improves. I would start out with maybe five five-minute sessions spread out throughout the day and gradually increase it to fifteen minutes.

facebook

Sometimes it just depends on what the pup will tolerate, with Tango I had started with 10-15 minute sessions, about 5 times daily when she was 8 1/2 weeks old and gradually, as her attention span lengthened and she became very excited for her training sessions I'd train her for about 20-35 minutes 5 times daily because she loved it (This was around 14 weeks). I don't think I ever went any higher than 35mins though. I'm not sure what the average is though, but this is what worked for Tango.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

For as long as she's having fun, but keep it short at first. Training should be fun, if she's bored or frustrated she's not going to learn very well.

Psst...we need a new pic!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart
    For as long as she's having fun, but keep it short at first. Training should be fun, if she's bored or frustrated she's not going to learn very well.

Psst...we need a new pic!

I just posted a couple of her in her hat the other day But I will take some more of her tomorrow and post them

I agree with the others. Start out slow & gradually increase the length of time.

With Kaige I started out doing about 5, 10ish minute training sessions a day. As he aged we increased the length of time, but I found out with him that as we started doing the 30 minute training sessions he didn't need or want 5 sessions a day anymore. We now do 15-30 minute training sessions about 2-4 times a day. (4 times a day if each session is 15 minutes long, 2 or so if we have longer sessions).
    You'll be able to tell by how much they are learning & how quickly they get bored with it.

But of course we also follow the NILIF rules (or at least try to most of the time) so we actually have a thousand, one minute sessions a day. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.