Thread: fluid therapy while under anesthesia?

Hybrid View

fluid therapy while under anesthesia?

I am going to schedule Kaige's neuter for early February and was wondering about the fluid therapy that they have to offer. This was not common at all when I was working at the vets and haven't had a dog under anesthesia since so I really don't know a whole lot about it.
    I do understand that it helps to keep the dog hydrated and may help him come out of it a little better, but does it really make that big of a difference? Or is it more of a waste of $50?

I've seen many dogs go under with out & they all did great so it makes me wonder if it really does make that big of a difference.

I was wondering if anyone here has had that done? Especially if you have multiple dogs or even the same dog, like if one had the fluid therapy and the other one didn't, or if the same dog didn't have it while under once but had it while under a second time, did you see a big difference?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Not sure about it for dogs, but for ferrets, as in Miko's surgery yesterday, it is a necessity. Sorry, not real helpful.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop
    Not sure about it for dogs, but for ferrets, as in Miko's surgery yesterday, it is a necessity. Sorry, not real helpful.
    Thanks anyways!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I don't know if it's the same, but they gave fluids to my RB terrier Sandy when he had to have a cracked tooth pulled. She recommended it for 2 reasons with him. 1) He was older (almost 12), even though his blood panel was normal 2) He had asthma (sp??) and a collapsing trachea. Since anesthesia tends to surpress breathing and it was a quick procedure, the fluids flushed his system a little faster, in addition it gave her a line already in if something went wrong. He came through w/o a problem and went home that night. I unfortunately don't have any experience with it in a young healthy dog so I don't know that I'm much help there.

I have several dogs who have had trouble coming out of a GA. The fluid makes it much easier on them. They rebound more quickly, can be released earlier and are back to their normal selves in no time. With an older dog or a dog with any kind of comprimised organ function, it's a must.

Also having the IV already in place is a huge asset if something does go wrong. Makes monitoring easier and give easy access to a vein if the vet needs to do something in a hurry.

My vet does fluid therapy automatically now. If you don't want it you have to tell him or the animal gets it. I always make sure my guys get it, even if they've never had problems with anesthesia before.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I have never even heard of this to be honest. Seems like I should probably ask for it if my girls ever need a surgery.