Thread: Own a Pekingese???

Own a Pekingese???

Recently I got a Pekingese Puppy. I've seen pictures of them as adult dogs and I'm not too fond of all the "poofy" hair. I was wondering if anyone with a pekingese gets its hair cut and how often.

***Also*** How old should a puppy be before going to the groomer?

Peke

Hi,

My Mom has a Peke/Tibetan Spaniel named Poo Poo Girl--she is so adorable and very polite (that's what we tell her because she has wonderful manners!)

They cut her hair about every 3 months--but I think it's every few weeks in the summer. The hair between her toes has to get cut quite often as well, because we noticed that sometimes it gets in her way as she walks.

I am not sure how soon a puppy should go to the groomer, but I am sure other Pettalkers will know and help you out.

Good Luck,

Snowy's Mom

Thanks for the reply!

Wow!, I had no idea they needed grooming every 3 weeks in the summer! Thanks for the information.

You're Welcome!

I don't like when they get too "Poofy" either! Too much hair for such a little dog!

Welcome to Pet Talk!

I don't like the poofy look either. I think your groomer will be able to give you a better idea. I think the poofy look is for shows. Just like poodles that are shown have that funk hair cut.

Just tell the groomer that you don't want all tha thair. I am sure that no matter what kind of haircut your pup gets, it will look adorable!

Here's a link to a website about grooming a pekingese. It has a poofy hair do, but has other helpful tips as well.

Grooming A Pekingese

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the helpful info. for my poofy pekignese!