Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What breed would you love to own but ...

What breed would you love to own but ...

... don't fit your lifestyle?

I absolutely LOVE Basset Hounds, but I don't think they'd suit my lifestyle I'm totally crushed. I love all of the Bassets at work, and I used to own a Basset mix. I've gotta do more research, but as of so far, it doesn't look like I'll be owning one Sucks too, because there's a rescue around here and I check every week for the new Basset boogers, and they're all so darned cute!

I would also love to own an Anatolian Shepherd, but they don't really fit my lifestyle either (possibly my future lifestyle though, if I *do* end up living on a farm like I want, they could be a livestock guardian).

There are more but of course I'm having a brain fart. lol

Great Danes! I have always loved Danes, they are amazing. I remember the first time I walked a Great Dane, I was working at a vet clinic. He was 9 years old and in very poor health (he passed away). I am 5' 6" and this dogs withers were at my stomach! Not to mention I had to hold his IV bag above him while walking him. I would love to be owned by one, but my daughter is still very small for a extra large dog. I live in a large, ground floor apartment, big enough for any dog, but I want to wait until I have a house with a large yard.

American Staffies are another on my list. I absolutely adore them. In all honesty, I dont think I could handle a dog that strong! Besides that, most of my family would be very upset with me if I ever adopted one. Thanks to the media!

My fave breed right now is Labrador Retriever. I love chocolates and I hope to come across one in the shelter soon. Strangely, there has been quite a few, but all say no cats, no kids? But yet the yellows and blacks are always the opposite!

Okay, I better stop before I get carried away...

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Papillion....They are totally adorable!! But a dog (any dog) simply would not fit into my cat-oriented lifestyle)

Well, if i ever got a dog.....

But i think that my lifestyle wouln't be right for a greyhound. It'd need so much exercise, and although i could give it that, when i'm not there my mum or dad couldn't. I love little dogs, like lancashire heelers , but we may be able to get a dog in the future, when my brother is old enough. And also, Zsa-Zsa would be so unhappy if we got a dog, and i wouldn't swap her for any dog in the world

Zimbabwe 07/13

Hmm...Probably a Greyhound. I absolutely love the breed, but my mom doesnt, and she would never let me have one...But someday...
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Belgian griffon, Chinese crested, Xolo...
    The first two are way too small and wouldn't do so good in a play group with newfies and other big dogs, they also don't do any work and would be to me as a gerbil is to everybody else. I'd be out doing things and the cute little gerbil dogs would be in a tank somewhere sitting on a pillow. Sorry all you small dog owners, they are adorable but I need a dog that can do stuff with me.
    The chinese crested and Xolo don't do as well in the sun all day and also they have no protection in the brush. In th dog park with other dogs jumping all over them I'd be afraid that they'd get claw scratches or cuts.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Newfoundland. I've always loved them but for me, they're just way too big. But who knows, maybe some day I'll live in a big enough house to have one a long with a couple Tollers....

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Caucasian Ovcharka without a doubt! I absolutely adore the breed but my house is to active for a Ovcharka, I'd be scared that the dog would go after someone that entered our hosue.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

Some dogs I absolutely love, but know will never fit for me:

The Tosa-Inu(or tosa-ken), the Kuvasz, the Neopolitan Mastiff, the Fila Brasileiro, and the Karelian Bear Dog. I just know I'll never be up to being the type of master and providing the type of training, handling, and environment that I believe these dogs need to have to really thrive.

Some breeds I love that don't fit for me right now, but I believe can/will eventually include most of the other mastiff breeds I love.
    Happy is he who causes scandal--- Salvador Dali.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Z
    Well, if i ever got a dog.....

But i think that my lifestyle wouln't be right for a greyhound. It'd need so much exercise, and although i could give it that, when i'm not there my mum or dad couldn't. I love little dogs, like lancashire heelers , but we may be able to get a dog in the future, when my brother is old enough. And also, Zsa-Zsa would be so unhappy if we got a dog, and i wouldn't swap her for any dog in the world
    That's not true at all. Whoever told you Greys needed a lot of exercise must have been referring to their puppy stages, and, even at that, they're major couch potatoes. From puppyhood til about 1 1/2 years, Greyhound pups have quite a bit of energy. They're like BCs up until this point, hence, their unofficial nickname, "landsharks" LOL. However, once they reach 2-3 years, they begin settling down and their energy decreases DRAMATICALLY. They can literally spend a week inside the house with no walks and have no qualms about it, although that certainly isn't recommended! This just means that if you're snowed in in the winter and it isn't feasible to take the Greyhound on a walk for a few days, s/he won't really care and will certainly not be bouncing off the walls for some work, like a JRT or similar dog would. The reason that Greyhounds don't need a lot of exercise is because, contrary to popular belief, they are sprinters and have small bursts of energy. I often joke that Greys are either sprinting or sleeping.

A brisk 15-20 minute jog/walk once or twice is enough to suffice an adult Greyhound, although more exercise never hurts. I usually take Giselle for 15 minute jog in the morning and an easy evening stroll later on in the day. On the weekends, we either hit the beaches or the dog park and let her run herself silly. She stays trim and healthy and spends the rest of the day *literally* sleeping on the couch.

As for dogs I would want but could never own would be:

Australian Cattle Dogs- I love the robust look of these dogs and I love their can-do, go-get-'em attitude, but they have way too much energy and need way too much mental stimulation.

One breed that I'm not certain if I could own, but there's a possibility I could is a Doberman Pinscher. I can socialize a Dobe puppy on the weekends, but I'm sure the pup would need way more attention than I can provide. Therefore, I think it's possible I could adopt or buy an adult Dobe. Still...who knows?

Probably a poodle, I could never deal with the hair and I really don't like the way they look with short hair. I love corded poodles too.
    Komondorok too because their cords are too hard to deal with.
    I can deal with hard push, terrierlike personalities because that is what I already have and what I'm used too.

Niño & Eliza

Hmm, probably a Kooikerhondje, I think they're so cute!

Thanks *sled_dog* for the siggy!!

aussies and border collies. definatly woulden't have enough time for their on going energy and drive to work! but i love them sooo much.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

American Staffordshire Terriers/APBT. They're beautiful dogs but they're not for me.Most of the smaller breeds dont really fit my life style either.

I thought of the some of the others.

English Cocker Spaniels: They fit my lifestyle for the most part, but even well-bred Cockers seem to be riddled with health problems. I just hate to see my dogs sick, even if it's minor. I also like larger dogs anyway.

Irish/Irish Red&White/English/Gordon Setters: They are so frickin' beautiful! They are kinda crazy though. I'd only get one if I had tons of time to devote to training.

German Shepherd Dogs: They are all beautiful. Mandy is half GSD and has the exact personality of one. I love love love my girl, but I'd never own a GSD again unless, like with the Setters, I had a ton of time for training!

Bloodhounds: I actually don't know much about this breed, but there is a lady who breeds them that I know and I truly love her dogs. She has the most beautiful Bloodhounds I've ever seen too! I don't see them fitting my lifestyle, but maybe!

And there is more, I know it, but I can't think of them again lol.