Thread: 6 year old Pit peeing ALL OVER CARPET! HELP!!

Unhappy 6 year old Pit peeing ALL OVER CARPET! HELP!!

New user here and am really impressed! I have a 6 year old Staffshire Terrier that was easily potty trained and has very rarely had issues with accidents inside the house. In the last six months he has begun peeing in various areas of the house and I am at a loss of why and what I can do about it. My son lived with me for a bit and was the dominant male in the group, and Eddy (dog) listened very well to him and not as well to me. He has been to the vet and is healthy as a horse, and the onl suggestion is spray the carpet with a neutrilizer to prevent peeing in the same spot. It obviously is a behaivor issue and I am looking for suggestions on what I can do. I am very willing to work with him, so no worries there. Any help is much appreciated.

Definitely get to a pet supply store and get "Nature's Miracle" or some other similar product - it has an enzyme that breaks down the chemical that makes pets think "Aha! Good spot to pee!" Clean every spot with that stuff.

Then be very vigilant - take him out often, don't go back in until he's "done his business." Bundle up if necessary, I do understand it is January out there!

Is he neutered? Are there any new dogs in the house? Any other recent changes in the household he might be reacting to?

I had the same problem with mine

Hiyah Eddydog,
    Dont worry about this it is naturalfor a dog that age to wee all of the house we were worried about our dog at first as well but we found out from our local vet how to fix the problem.

The way to sort the problem is by taking him to the place you want him to do the toilet and keep doing this till he realises that thats were he does it and so each time you do he will eventually stop peeing all over the house and start giving you a sign like whing which will mean he needs the toilet another way to sort the problem is to get dog pads this will help because the scent will bring him to this and he will dispose its whatever.

Hopefully this will help you alot
    Love Michelle x
    Michelle reid

Wee problems

Hiyah again im so sorry but i read your msg wrong but i thought your dog was six months anyway i still have advise for you ?

The problem is while your son was at the house he was not the top dog, No as your son is away he is probably marking his terriety and finding his place in the home again.
    hopfully this will help you
    love Michelle x
    Michelle reid

Your dog was checked by the vet? Is the dog actually using the bathroom in the house, or could it be a UTI or an incontinence problem? My 6 year old German Shepherd (female, though) is incontinent.

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    an incontinence problem? My 6 year old German Shepherd (female, though) is incontinent.
    I have the same problem with my four year old german shepherd - although we've only had him for 8-9 months. What do you do about your dog's incontinence problem?

About a month ago, we were just steam cleaning up after her. She really dosen't seem like she knows she's doing it. Then she started getting up on the couches when we left, so she stays out on the lanai (back porch) when we are gone. She has a washable bed that she goes to sleep on. We don't let her drink water after 8pm. We did have meds that we used for a little while, I forget the name, it begins with a P, but they didn't work. I am taking her to another vet in about 2 weeks to see if I could put her on a pill that was recommended, called DES. And we are also getting our house tiled next week. I have also heard that cranberries/cranberry juice helps with it, but I haven't tried it myself.

I wonder sometimes if Roscoe is marking the house - we started limiting his water and taking him for walks right before we go anywhere so he marks all over and gets all of his pee out. I try to make him mark outside until nothing comes out when he lifts his leg. I never heard of the cranberry juice, but that kind of makes sense because that's what a person is supposed to drink when you have a UTI.

What exactly is the problem

Sometimes people have a hard time making the distiction between bad behavior and submissive peeing. Forgetting their housetraining is one thing, but submissive peeing is something altogether differant and must be handled very carefully or it will get worse.
    Normally, being a 6 year old dog, I would assume that never having been a submissive urinater before she couldn't be one now. However there has been a change recently right, someone stayed in the home, and after some time left?
    Maybe the change triggered a submissive behavior the dog didn't normally have before? Does she pee only when you approach, or call her? Or does it seem to be something she goes off on her own and does by herself?
    Jen and pack

For Tok, I will always remember the happier days when you howled and played as one of our pack. You will never be forgotten, and you can never be replaced. God has a special place for special creatures, and that is where we will meet again. Forever in our hearts, love always, your family.

Peeing in the house

Sounds to me like this dog is marking territory HE believes he's the master of. I would strongly suggest obedience classes. Take him and learn to be the "alpha" through them. If you've been to obedience school before, go again for a refresher course. He needs to know that you're higher in the pack than he is and that it is NOT alright to be marking the territory that is YOURS.

An inexpensive alternative is to start teaching him tricks. This starts to put you in a higher position, as you will control the training times and treats (which I recommend to start with). Do keep an eye on him and when he starts to sidle up to something like he's going to lift his leg, growl at him and take him out. That helps him start to realize that you are not going to accept this behavior any more.

Let us know how it goes.

Christi
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials

It sounds like the dog might have a UTI you might want to call for an appt.

rennie

Quote Originally Posted by eddydog
    New user here and am really impressed! I have a 6 year old Staffshire Terrier that was easily potty trained and has very rarely had issues with accidents inside the house. In the last six months he has begun peeing in various areas of the house and I am at a loss of why and what I can do about it. My son lived with me for a bit and was the dominant male in the group, and Eddy (dog) listened very well to him and not as well to me. He has been to the vet and is healthy as a horse, and the onl suggestion is spray the carpet with a neutrilizer to prevent peeing in the same spot. It obviously is a behaivor issue and I am looking for suggestions on what I can do. I am very willing to work with him, so no worries there. Any help is much appreciated.
    Is he neutered??
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

An excellent question. Is the boy neutered?

I am assuming from your post that you are a woman, is that correct? If it is, you're just going to have to assume the role of the alpha bitch. Growling at him when he is doing wrong and crating for it are possible "consequences" for marking. There are the things you can put around him that prevent him peeing--sort of like the pads for females in heat.

I assumed you're a woman because you said Eddy minded your son pretty well. Men have the deeper voice and more "overbearing" stance that mark an alpha dog. You need to adopt some of that for your own dealings with Eddy. Take the voice from the diaphragm--almost like a karate yell. Firm and steady with a deeper tone.

Nature's Miracle and Simple Solution are both great for getting the scent he's leaving out. Don't use carpet or furniture cleaners with ammonia in them. Guess what he'll smell the next time??

It might also be worthwhile to get baby gates and limit his access to various parts of the house. Places you can keep an eye on him in.

Please keep us posted as to how he progresses.

Chris
    "Every creature is a word of God."
    Meister Eckhart, Animal Blessings
    Dog Potentials