Thread: Ipod- Not buying songs

Ipod- Not buying songs

Is there anyway, other than uploading cds into the computer to get songs for your ipod pretty much free? My friend said her sister gets these websites that have songs you can download and its not illegal to do this. Does anyone know some? Thanks.

Um I don't know how its NOT illegal if you're not paying for it but you could get a P2P filesharing program such as LimeWire and download songs via a program like that. I DO NOT recommend KaZaA -- I got so many viruses and spyware from that. Limewire is very good. And there is a loophole in the whole RIAA "downloading music is illegal" theory -- peer to peer (P2P) filesharing is NOT illegal.

facebook

Apple.com has one song every week that's a free download - it changes every Tuesday.

Until P2P's legality is cleared up, I would steer clear of it. There are many legal tangles in the courts over this, including a case where a mother is being sued for one of her kids' friends downloading songs into her comp at home. The RIAA is not stopping with the big cases, they are starting to go full spectrum with the lawsuits, and until they get decided one way or another there is a risk.

Until they agree on what "fair use" means with online file trading, I'd be careful.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Just do what my kids are doing -- they are downloading songs themselves, paying for them and then they team up with a group of friends and share the files among themselves through emails. They might each buy one song but end up with 20.

My daughter only paid for 25 songs, and has well over 500 songs on her MP3 player thanks to her school and soccer friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    Apple.com has one song every week that's a free download - it changes every Tuesday.

Where in apple.com? I went there but can't find where.

One thing I forgot to mention in my post....

P2P software opens up a giant security hole in whatever firewall your computer is attacched to, yat another reason it's not a good idea.

Well i havent ever heard of any downloading sight that is free and legal.........but if there is one i would like to know too !! But if there isnt i just buy my music from iTunes........its only 99cent a song......thats not that bad right?? Well thats all i know about this subject......

Quote Originally Posted by I_luv_rusty
    Where in apple.com? I went there but can't find where.

You can go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/ and download iTunes - it's free, and then open the Music Store - you'll see the free downloadable song there!

Found it thanks!

I also found songs, that were loaded into my brother window media player from his cds, I took a few of those songs