Thread: fostering

fostering

Has anyone here every fostered a cat from the human society? I hear they have a program there that lets you take home kittens to help socialize them and give them lots of love. I'm curious...

christy

I purr-sonally haven't fostered but know that many ppl on here have.

I *think* our shelter (which is the pound + the humane society) has a program very similiar to that. I'm not in a cat-ok apartment so I haven't researched it that much.

If I remember correctly, there are some more posts re: fostering in Cat Rescue.

I wish I could but Id fall in love and want to keep them....

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

I visited the Visalia SPCA yesterday, they only had a few cats, two of which, because I liked them so well, they were ready to sign me up as a foster parent. But the possibility of them not getting along with my other furkids kept me from going ahead with the unplanned project. What do any of you think?

I've fostered a ton of cats and always keep them away from my own cat. I usually have a room set up for the fosters with their beds, litter box, toys, food, etc and have them stay the nights in there. I let them roam around during the day but keep my cat contained in my room. She sleeps during the day anyway
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I have fostered many kittens and sometimes a mommy and her litter. I think its a great experience and as for getting attached I find that it gets easier the more you do it. What keeps me going is knowing that 99% of the fostered kittens get adopted out! It's an amazingingly simple way to give them the best of odds! I think you should go for it! I suggest keeping them totally separate from your own cats. It makes things simpler and unless your cat is pretty friendly they will usually feel threatened by the newcomers. That's how I do it anyway but its just because I know my cat is a loner and likes her solitude. It's a great way to dip into the vast array of kitty purrrrsonalities! It's really amazing how cats are such individuals and through fostering you can really see the rainbow of characteristics!
    ~Kate

**Owner of Nipo (classic tabby DSH)
    & missing her sweet doggy Jack who crossed the rainbow bridge June 2001**

Thanks guys! I may try the fostering. I always feel so bad for the cats when I visit the human society, I want to take all of them home!!

christy