Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sassy is showing the early signs of.....

I don't think there would be any need to put her down I hope she can get some medication for it and starts feeling better.

By the way, I like your new sig!

Thanks Cagneydog I FINALLY got PSP.

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Get Sassy on a daily dose of Glucosomine-Chondrotin-MSM. Talk to you vet for the right dose for her size. You don't need to buy the pricey one from the vet. A human supplement will work just fine.
    My sister gives her dogs Glucosomine and it works very well. Perhaps you can print these suggestions out and give them to your parents so when you all go to the vet, you can ask him/her about them?

Please keep us posted on Sassy. Eight is very young. Especially for such a small dog.

Good luck!

I had my Sasha to the vet 1 week ago for arthritis in her shoulders. The vet gave us some Metacam. I also went to the local doggie health food store and got her Lakota supplements for arthritis. Today we went for a 1 hour walk and she is doing GREAT!! No limping, crying or anything. She is 11 years old and our vet says she has alot of years left. Arthritis is NOT a death sentence!! Not for people and certainly not for dogs!!! Please, please see your vet right away, if you receive no satisfaction please see another one.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Get Sassy on a daily dose of Glucosomine-Chondrotin-MSM. Talk to you vet for the right dose for her size. You don't need to buy the pricey one from the vet. A human supplement will work just fine.

Keep her weight down, keep her moving. 8 is young for a dog Sassy's size. She's got years left!
    I agree with Glacier. Bears been on this for almost 4 years now. He's a little stiff but isn't in any pain and can run and play with the others.

I have learned that weight can be an issue with arthritis. From your sig it doesn't look as if Sassy is overweight, but if by any chance she is, losing a few pounds may make the difference. Our RB Nikki was about 8-10 pounds overweight and we noticed she was starting to limp when she was around 7 years old, always after sleeping for a while (the weight pressure on the bones). Losing a few pounds, especially after recommendation from the vet, helped her a lot.

I think Sassy is about 1 or 2 pounds overweight. But not to much. So, I'll take her for walks more often. She was overweight. But she's on a special diet now. Thanks for the info

At the beginning of arthritis, there is nothing to worry about. Sometimes it doesn't get ever get that bad. It ussually takes years before it gives them bad pain.

My old cocker, missy, was about 8 pounds over weight for a few years. That is alot for a dog. She was 32 pounds and was supposed to be around 25. Her arthritis was bad, but not bad enough to need to put her to sleep.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

But 8 years old isnt very old for a maltese? They live to 14-16.

its about mid aged.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*