Thread: Rat On The Loose!

Rat On The Loose!

Our rat maisy has gotten out of the cage and we've looked EVERYWHERE.. what can I do to find her!? We are soo upset, and worried. We have no clue where we are going to find her or how because she can live probably a year with how much food we have in the house... ugh. We don't want to put out traps because that's just horrible... but what can we do!?! Do we set up live traps? I am soo scared because this is like the 5th or more time she has gotten out of her cage, but then we found her within atleast 30 minutes or so. PLEASE, tell me what we can do!!!!
    THANKS!

THANKS SO MUCH BUTTERCUP!

OK, just keep calm, this has happened to me many times before with hamsters. The first thing to do is go into every room, and be completely silent, you may hear her scrabbling around. If not, does she respond to her name? Try calling her. If you can't find her at all, then leave food on the floor that leads to her cage, and keep it open. More often than not little animals try to return to a place they know is safe to sleep.

I hope that you find her and she is alright, keep us updated if you can.

Zimbabwe 07/13

My own custom "rat trap" from when I had six...

Take a five-gallon bucket and out it on the floor. Leave something REALLY tasty inside, like peanut butter, something that the rattie can smell. Tape the edge of a towel to the rim of the bucket and leave the towel hanging over the edge. (Also, make sure the bucket is set up in such a way that it will be hard to tip over.) My ratties would climb the towel to get into the bucket and not be able to get out.

Good luck finding your little advanturer!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Whoo Hoo!

We found that little rattie... we were so scared we might have had to use a glue trap.. but we would use that veg. oil to get her off, we aren't the cruel type! Well, thanks to our brittany she found that little bugger! She would still be out today if it weren't for her. It took us probably 3-4 hours of looking. My dog was sniffing the cabinet and we opened it, she smelled around, nothing to be found. She was just sitting there looking at the cabinet though, so i followed her eyes to the bottom of a drawer...when I oppened it... WOOPEE! There's are little baby girl! We are SURE to close the door to the room she's in now. Thank God we found that girl!

THANKS SO MUCH BUTTERCUP!

Glad you found her

Zimbabwe 07/13

Good thing you found her.