Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Mandy...

Poor Mandy...

Back in late Sept. when she was in heat (she's not fixed due to her heart condition) Mandy had an UTI. She gets them with her heat sometimes. This UTI drug on for over 3 weeks. Meanwhile ,of course, pups lick themselves 'down there' while in heat and she's kind of messy with her UTI's and it seems her skin in her private parts/groin area was irritated. We treated it with everything from cortisone cream to vasingil at the vets suggestion. Weeks later she was still licking so I took her back to the vet. It seems she has skin infection. She's on antibiotics and I was just using the cortisone cream to help with the itching. It seemed to work for awhile but she is just miserable. So we started her on benadryl today. The vet suggested it earlier but I'm so afraid to give Mandy anything because of her heart.
    She also has allergies and her eyes bother her (it happens every fall) and I'm using an antibiotic/anti-itch cream around her eyes.
    Hopefully we'll have her feeling better soon. I just feel so bad for her. Sorry so long, I guess that's why I put off posting, but I feel the need to ask for PT prayers and pawsitive thoughts for my sweet baby.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Aww, the poor sweetie. Give her a kiss from Auntie Krista. She will be held close in my thoughts and prayers. ((((((annette and mandy))))))
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Ah Annette, I am sorry to hear your girls are having such a rough week this week. Positive thoughts and prayers are going out for both Mandy and Lacey, they are such sweeties, and I want to see them both happy and healthy. Maybe the cooler weather and fresh winds that we are getting (are you getting them too?) will help get rid of some of the things that are bothering Mandy's allergies. Hugs to both of your girls, please.

Awww Mandy. I do hope she gets some relief soon. It does
    sound like she is not feeling well at all.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks everyone. Mandy seems to be ok with the Benadryl. It seems to be helping, she slept good last night. *fingers crossed*
    Forever in my heart...

You sure are having a rough week with your pups not feeling well. Please give them a hug for me and I will be keeping you all in my thoughts. Get Better Mandy.

You might ask the vet for some amitryptilline. It is an antidepressant (for humans) and also pain relief. As a "side effect" it has excellent anti-histamine properties and is very sedating. My Jake (golden retriever) has had long term problems with allergies, and when they get really bad, they amitryptilline helps, if for no other reason than it is a great sedative and he doesn't itch if he's sleeping. Good luck. Jake's mom.

She can't probly use that Jakesmom as mandy has a heart conditon that prevents her using a lot of meds and seditives .

Mandy is a fighter you know she'll pull though this too. (Hug)
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatepuppy
    Thanks everyone. Mandy seems to be ok with the Benadryl. It seems to be helping, she slept good last night. *fingers crossed*
    Im sorry mandy has such a hard time, but glad she is some better..

Ohhh poor Mandy baby.....
    I'm hope the Benadryl keeps working.
    Hugs and prayers to you and Mandy!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Thanks everyone. Mandy is doing ok, but if you don't give her the benadryl, she's right back to itching and chewing on herself. She still has a few more days on the antibiotics and then I will talk to the vet.
    Jakesmom, thanks for the advice, but Corinna is right ,no way I want her anymore sedated than she has to be, that's one of the reasons I was afraid to give her the benadryl in the first place.
    Mandy says she really appreciates all of the good thoughts and prayers coming her way!
    Forever in my heart...

Ah Mandy, sweetheart, I am sorry to hear that you still aren't feeling well. I was really hoping you would be feeling some relief by now. We will keep you in our thoughts.

Sorry Mandy that you are still not feeling well. Feel better soon, sweetie. ((((((hugs))))))))
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

An update on Mandy... she's doing better but still has spells where she itches. The vet wants to keep her on antibiotics and the benadryl for about one more week. If she's not all better then we have to take her back in and go from there.
    Forever in my heart...

Thanks for the update Annette . Get well wished on the way for Mandy {{Hugs}}.