Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neautering--- to give pain meds or not?

Neautering--- to give pain meds or not?

Im going to be making a appt for Max here soon to get neautered (since I have one male and 2 females--- the females will be getting done, just not @ the same time, since it will cost me around $500 for all 3)

Should I request pain meds for him? He is 12 weeks old and the vet does not routinely do shots or pills for pain meds However reading on other boards, it sounds like most ppl request this....

Id like your opinions....

~~~Rachel in Alaska
    Mom to "Max, Milo and Pepper Ann" 11.5 month old Teenagers

http://www.pbase.com/alasknmom/kittens/
    updated 10/30/02

wow that is alot of money! I am not sure about the male as far as pain medicine. But I know when we had Yum Yum spayed and we bought her home she was not the same..she was hung over really bad. She did not look like herself and was very scared.

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

no medicine

When sydney got home after his "operation , he was sleepy and quiet ... . But he did not need any painkillers , just a lot of resT 8
    The next day he was again the old himself as before !!!
    Good luck !!!!

Expensive Vet!

I am surprised it is so much. Usually more for a female, but certainly that much! Yikes.

I didn't have my Abys done until they were 6 months old. Abys mature much more slowly than other breeds. I shipped them off together, so they would have company.

They are sedated for the proceedures and as far as I could tell, they were not in any pain afterwards.

I forget the total price for the two, but it seems to me it was $5o for the male and $85 for the female!

Females it's $200 and the male is $100. And since I have one male, I figured it's safe to do his first. I will be getting the females done before summer tho.... Just a lot of $$$ to shell out @ once.

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

$500!!

I knew things were expensive in Alaska but, WOW! Are there any program in the community that will help with the cost? We have a program here that lets you volunteer at the Humane Society to work off the cost... also our vets (We only have 3 on town) will give discounts if you bring all your fur-kids in at one time. Maybe if you ask your vet , they'll work something out with you to get the cost down.

I will double check tomorrow but when I called the 3 places I was told there are no discounts for spaying. Believe me I was hoping for a break.

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

We just gave our last 2 kittens pay meds after being fixed. My husband & I decided it wasn't for the best. Seems they tried to jump and climb more because they couldn't feel the pain. We had to seclude them more because of this.

Oh good thought. I didnt think about that!!!

How long did it take to recover?

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

Re: Neautering--- to give pain meds or not?

Originally posted by Lachesis
    Should I request pain meds for him? He is 12 weeks old and the vet does not routinely do shots or pills for pain meds However reading on other boards, it sounds like most ppl request this....

Id like your opinions....
    Lachesis, I'm a little confused. Are you talking about pain meds for after the operation or during the operation. I would think it is normal procedure to put them under during. If not, I would definitely question somebody. If you're talking about afterwards, I don't know as they are necessary, and like K&L said, it might actually aggravate the situation. It was 1986 when Tubby was done. I remember he was groggy when I brought him home, but the next day he was up and at 'em just like normal, and hasn't stopped since.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

11. I agree with K&L. Pain is not always something that should be masked with medication -- animals or people! Pain is the body's way of communicating "slow down", "don't use this leg right now", "Need to heal". Not getting these messages can result in a longer recovery!

Thanks for all the comments!! I really appareciate them...

~~~Rachel in Alaska

updated 10/30/02

painmeds

you're welcome !!!

Former User Guest
    How old is Max? Casper was done when he was almost 6 months, and Kitty when she was 8 months old. We didn't give any painkillers, just few pills from the vet agains infections. Casper was groggy for a day, then he was back to his normal self. Kitty on the other hand, was feeling blue for couple of days, and I think it took a whole week before she was back to herself! She did do her normal stuff, play, run etc. but was a bit slow, and tired of course! I can't believe the price! $500??? WOW!!! Now that's alot! For Casper the operation was $39 and for Kitty $71

Well having worked in several vet offices, I would personally not spay a cat unless I planned on giving her pain medicine. A spay is a very invasive and painful procedure. Neuters however do not involve going into the body and they experience very little pain. I would opt for the pain meds personally. But this is just my opinion. I have seen several cats given pain meds that still bounced around with no ill results. In fact all my females were active the next day. This shouldn't be a problem unless a cat starts licking the sutures or pulling on them. They will heal in the same amount of time whether they have pain meds or not.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.