Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of weather can dogs handle?

What kind of weather can dogs handle?

I was just wondering, how long is it safe to have zero outside? I mean, playing and walking with him, can he handle 1 hour, 2 hours? do i need to get him some special doggie coats or something? He is a male akita with lots of fur, it seems like he would be warm but I am never sure. It gets down to 0 degrees farenheit here sometimes...

And also, the other end of the spectrum, how hot is too hot? I am sure 90 degrees would be too hot right?

I'm interested in this too -- we have a relatively cold winter climate (it's been about -5f lately) but Bijou always seems happy and ready to go! I do make sure I dry the snow and ice from her feet when we get back home, though! I've often thought of getting her a cool raincoat/jacket for when it's actually snowing or raining, mostly because they're so darn cute!

The other day it got down to -9 F and Molli and Sammy stayed out for about 10 minutes. But molli has very thin hair and sam is a little puppy. I think Zero will be able to handle about 45 minutes out there before he even starts to get real cold. Akita's have lots of fur protection. I'm sure he could last longer, but I think he will be comfortable for that long. I'm no expert, so I would take other advice also.

Both Molli and Sammy have sweaters and coats *LOL* but Molli can never wear them because Sammy will grab the neck part and choke her.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

We get as cold as -40 celsius here.. I start limiting our time outside once it hits -25 celsius. Under -25 celsius, we usually can go outside for 45 minute intervals.

If you keep your dog outside and play or w/e you do for the same amount each day as the weather gets chillier, they should adjust as they are very adaptable. Just make sure they have some water which helps keep their body temperature regulated.

I do reccomend doggie boots. All brands WILL fall off sometimes if you're romping through the snow, but they are good for going for walks.

Doggie coats - not really needed for long haired.. but it's a good idea for short haired if you want to keep up their excersise.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Oh, you guys make me laugh with your idea of "cold"! 0F is about -18C, perfect dog sledding weather! Your akita should be able to handle that for hours without even noticing! In fact, he probably enjoys the colder weather.

Seriously, what a dog can handle varies wildly by breed & individual dog. Many sled dogs never get inside a house, but they survive and thrive in temps of -50C! With a decent shelter, a little straw and protection from the wind, a husky will be just fine in just about any weather. A toy poodle will have serious problems in a temp a husky considers too warm!

All of my dogs are outside for some period of time when it's -40C(-40F). Some of them for longer than others. The old timers go out and pee and come right back in. The younger dogs run around, play and then come in to warm up. Heyoka, my malamute, is at his most active when it's that cold. He loves it. Even the huskies think he's a little off his rocker! Hobo can't handle extreme temps as some of his fur never grew back where the wolf ripped him open. He gets frostbite very easily in those spots.

Last winter, in an extreme cold snap, I was outside trying to convince Pingo she should come in. I stuck my head in her doghouse and suddenly realized why she wasn't coming inside..it was warmer in her doghouse--insulated and full of straw! She was toasty warm!

Basically, use common sense and you and your dog will be fine.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

MAXIMUS loves the snow and cold. To bad we don't get more. But, when he has enough, he goes for the car. "Let's go, I'm freezing". I think they will let you know. He does have boots though. And doesn't mind wearing them. That is just not his idea of "frosty paws."

~siggy by LEXILOVER~thanx~

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Oh, you guys make me laugh with your idea of "cold"! 0F is about -18C, perfect dog sledding weather!
    I have to agree with ya there! lol.

If he is an Akita I also think he should be fine outdoors for some long time. Like Glacier my Huskies are outside, though mine don't come inside...My Australian Shepherd is also outside all the time, so I would think your Akita can handle it! The only dog I have inside is Meeko, but he is a Pomeranian

Well I don't know about celcius but it gets as cold as -50 degrees farenheit w/ the windsheild. My dogs have to go outside to go potty in that. Molli gets SUPER cold.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

This might sound absolutly horrifying to you all, but right now it is like 6 degrees farenheit, and my dogs stay outside all the time. And none of my dogs have that long of hair. They all have dog houses the people could live in ( they have insulation and windows and everything, VERY warm) but even so, some PTers probably disagree a lot with this, but my dogs have lived outside there whole lives. Boo boo has for 13 years, and at night it averages about -5 F.
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]

We don't really have to worry about winter here. Our winter don't get very cold, at the lowest we might get to around 30 degrees (-1 C) but that's only at night. However Payson is a wimp and he stands outside and shakes when we take him out, so we finally got him a jacket.

Summers here are horrible so we have to be really careful, we get temps of 115+ (46 C).
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I really feel it has a lot to do with acclimation and what the dog is used to. It's the same with people really. 35-40 degrees would feel awful cold to someone who was used to deep south temperatures, but it feels like a balmy day to me in the winter. Tommy and Tasha live in the house, if they go out and it is -10 F or colder they pick up their feet and Tasha trembles and they want to come in quickly. But if they were outside all the time they'd be more acclimated and handle it easier, at least Tommy would, not so sure about Tash . I think Zero will be fine in about any weather you'd have though, Akitas generally have thick wooly coats and enjoy the cool weather .

As others have mentioned, I'd worry more about heat in the summer. Overheating is definitely more of a risk for him than getting too cold.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh, you guys make me laugh with your idea of "cold"! 0F is about -18C, perfect dog sledding weather! Your akita should be able to handle that for hours without even noticing! In fact, he probably enjoys the colder weather.
    lol i new you wouldnt think that it was cold, i agree though my dogs love being outside in the winter its better cuz they dont get hot very fast so they can play more, i wish i could sled with my dogs how do you do it glacier?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

its gets to around -50*C over here and most of my dogs have short coats lol they do get cold at around -30 and start listing their paws, but 0*F is not cold at all, an akita should not have any problem at all.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Yea i was just making sure. akitas have double coats, and he is very furry so I think he likes the cold just fine.

I am sorry but 0 F is very cold. You can't just walk around in regular clothes. You gotta get your parkas on!! I mean you gotta get bundled up for that kind of temperature because it's just dangerous! I went snowboarding yesterday and it was like 5 degrees F and I was dying from the cold!!! I am talking layers of pants and long sleeved shirts and sweatshirts!!!!

15. Im not recomending this.. but our neighbors kept their dogs outside in pens all the time.. and it gets rather cold here during the winter. but their dogs never sufferd any ill causes from it.

dogs do much better then we give credit for out in the elements.
    but again,, im not recomending this,, nor do i think its the right thing to do..
    i think dogs should be as part as the family and 'with you' not stuck outside.