Thread: Another dog food question

Another dog food question

As I discussed in another thread, I am in the process of switching Roscoe's food to Nutro Max beef and rice. Yesterday, I got a sample in the mail of Nutro Natural Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal and he LOVED it. Is one better than the other? He likes both. If I do switch him to the Chicken food, should I mix all three together (I am currently mixing the beef and rice with his old food, Bil-Jac). Thanks!

I like the ingredients of the Nutro Natural diets better than the Nutro Max diets.

There is no corn in the Natural diets.

The oaltmeal is good for stomach & disegstion issues.
    Personally for a reg. adult diet for a dog with no allergies or tummy problems I reccomend the Nutro Natural choice Chicken & Rice. Just because IF your dog ever does get any issues later on down the road you have a different diet available that you can try him on, one that his system is not used to yet.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Well I can't really tell you if one is better than the other, but I recently had to change food (our place hadn't gotten an order for Canade in over a month ) and I started feeding
    NATURAL CHOICE®
    CHICKEN MEAL, RICE &
    OATMEAL FORMULA
    Bon always does better on chicken products than beef or liver.

They all seem to like it so far (but then we've only been feeding it for the last week).

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs

The oaltmeal is good for stomach & disegstion issues.
    Ahhh maybe that's why he's doing alright with it! Good to know

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

It would help if I could spell today. lol

Digestion.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

hmm, ok, maybe I will change him (again). He seems to really like it, and if it's a better food, that works for me.

There is no corn in the Natural diets.

Sorry I am going to jump all over you for this, because some dogs like mine are highly intolerant to corn products and it can make them very ill.

Some of the Nutro Natural Choice diets do indeed contain corn, I found that out the hard way, because at the time of the mad cow incident,pets foods containing lamb and beef suddenly were not allowed across the border, being I had ran out of their regular food I was feeding I made a switch to one of the other Nutro NC products believing, because people like yourself posted in other forums that none of the NC diets contained corn.

A few hours after feeding, my corn sensitive boy started puking all over, luckily I decided to check the ingredient list on the bag first , rather than running him over to an e vet and spending hundreds of dollars on tests, luckily the corn was farther down the list of ingredients in the food I chose, so he recovered relatively quickly

Here are some of the Natural Choice diets that contain corn

LARGE BREED ADULT- blue bag,--- ingredients - Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Bran, ......

HIGH ENERGY (yellow bag)--- ingredients - Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat .....

LARGE BREED WEIGHT MANAGEMENT (yellow bag) --- ingredients - Ground Rice, Chicken Meal, Rice Bran, Wheat Flour, Dried Beet Pulp, Corn Gluten Meal, ....

LARGE BREED SENIOR (reddish bag) --- ingredients - Rice Flour, Chicken Meal, Rice Bran, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten Meal

My vet recommends not feeding beef based foods of any kind as beef tends to cause allergies in a lot of dogs. If your dog liked the chicken/rice food better, that would be the way to go.
    My vet had me add some of his diet tips to their website, if you'd like to take a peek:
    http://www.gilroyvet.com/564460.html

**hugs**

Oh my I am so sorry. That must of been awful scary.

Although I didn't specify that there is no corn in ANY of the NC diets it sure does sound like I ment for it to be addressed that way. I am sorry I didn't mean for it to sound that way, I ment that about the lamb & rice & lamb & rice & oatmeal diets, the diets she was discussing & asking about.
    I do know that some of their diets contain corn as I feed the large breed senior food & know that.
    I'm not sure if I ment for "the" to be "those" or just worded it the wrong way. I did not mean for it to sound like that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolflady
    My vet recommends not feeding beef based foods of any kind as beef tends to cause allergies in a lot of dogs. If your dog liked the chicken/rice food better, that would be the way to go.
    My vet had me add some of his diet tips to their website, if you'd like to take a peek:

**hugs**
    There are some really good ideas on the website, thank you! I've never heard of giving them raw eggs, what does that do for them? I do spray some vegetable oil over his dry food, he loves that and it has seemed to make his coat softer

Thank you everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    Oh my I am so sorry. That must of been awful scary.

Although I didn't specify that there is no corn in ANY of the NC diets it sure does sound like I ment for it to be addressed that way. I am sorry I didn't mean for it to sound that way, I ment that about the lamb & rice & lamb & rice & oatmeal diets, the diets she was discussing & asking about.
    I do know that some of their diets contain corn as I feed the large breed senior food & know that.
    I'm not sure if I ment for "the" to be "those" or just worded it the wrong way. I did not mean for it to sound like that.

I understand, and I know no harm was meant from your post

I just wanted to make sure the right info got out there before someone else ends up with a sick dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ontariogreys
    I understand, and I know no harm was meant from your post

I just wanted to make sure the right info got out there before someone else ends up with a sick dog.
    I understand & I'm glad you pointed that out! Thanks!
    Last edited by lv4dogs; 12-22-2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: to fix spelling

Quote Originally Posted by wolflady

**hugs**
    Thanks, those are some good tips

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets