Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth on Eyelid

Growth on Eyelid

My Rottie boy has a growth on his upper eyelid , it started small but has gotten a little bit bigger, he is going to the vet tomorrow morning, but i am nervous, has anyone dogs here had a abnormal growth on the eyelid? If so what was the treatment?

He is 6 years old, do u think dogs get skintags like us humans?

Nanook has had his share, he actually has one right now.
    He has his removed every few years then it grows back. The first time I had a biopsy done on it, it was benign, but over the years it has most likely turned cancerous. The vets & even I can guess just by the looks of it. I haven't had it removed because he has a few other cancerous tumors, one, the biggest one, is un-operatable due to its location, his age & condition. With his health problems it's not worth removing the few small ones when he still has the large one & major arthritis.

I do know of a few other dogs that have had them & they never returned or they never turned cancerous.

It is a simple procedure & they heal up in no time. He was back to his old self the same day each time. I had to put drops &/or ointment in his eye for a week or so afterwards but thats it.

And yes they can get skintags just like us.

I'm sure he'll do just fine.

Is he getting it removed or looked at tomorrow?
    I wish yous the best of luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

My RB pup Sandy had one removed from his when he was I think about 6-7. It was benign and never grew back. He had a little indent on his eyelid where they took it from, but it never bothered him. He recovered quickly and was back to his normal self in no time.

Thanks for the responses guys, he is just having it looked at tomororw i am having it removed asap though, i was curious do they have to put them under anesthethia to do this and what exacty do they do if they dont put them under, is it pricey procedure?
    I am worried about having him go under anesthethia is it dangerous the older they get??

Usually all that is needed is just a little local anesthesia as its a very quick procedure (unless its a very large, very oddly placed growth).
    As with anything, yes anesthesia can be a little more dangerous for an older dog. 6 isn't too old yet and he's in good health otherwise right? He should be fine, but if you are worried they can run a CBC (complete blood count panel) before he goes under to make sure he is healthy. That usually runs about $35-$55 ish. If you are interested in running the bloodwork I'd call them now & have it done tomorrow when you go in, that way IF there is anything wrong you can fix it before he gets it removed and he won't have to spend a whole day at the vets for nothing. You will need to fast him for that too, usually you just put up the food & water before you go to bed.

Its not pricey, I think the most expensive eye growth removal for Nanook was just over $100, the lowest one was about $65. Biopsy ran about $15-$25 ish.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Thanks for the info, i was thinking they were going to tell me i had to have him go under anesth, becuase it is right next to his eyeball and i guess if he jerked they would slice his eye, was yours right on the lid so the growth was actually touching the eye ball? (Well Nanooks not yours ) LOL
    Faces is actually touching his eyeball, but it is on the lid,

lv4dogs is right if your concerned discuss it with your vet, mine usually recommends the blood panel prior to surgery on older dogs, which gives them a good idea that nothings wrong initially that might cause complications. Sandy had a form of asthma (sp??), the vet knew this and gave him a few extra shots with the anesthesia to open his airways, so his was a little more expensive, I think about $300 for everything.

Sorry saw your post afterwards his was right next to his eyeball so he was put under since he was way to squirrely to sit through that type of procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by senorita02
    Thanks for the info, i was thinking they were going to tell me i had to have him go under anesth, becuase it is right next to his eyeball and i guess if he jerked they would slice his eye, was yours right on the lid so the growth was actually touching the eye ball? (Well Nanooks not yours ) LOL
    Faces is actually touching his eyeball, but it is on the lid,
    Yes, it was on the eyelid touching the eyeball.

Nanook is VERY good with things like that, we had to stitch him up twice from a cut from rocks on a hike & he didn't even need anything at all either time for that.
    Local Anesthesia will make a dog a little bit groggy and if he's a passive dog thats all they will need. If he's hyper then maybe they will put him under fully. They pull the eyelid away from the eye & cut it out. If the dog jerked then yes they may accidently slice the eye.

I forgot to mention that Rotts are known to have problems with anesthesias so please discuss that with your vet. Make sure he knows that already.

But I'm sure he'll be fine. Ask your vet ALL & ANY questions that you need to.

I thought i had heard that as well, that is why i am so hesitant, i am going to see if they cant just do it without it, i would feel much more comfortable, he has been under before the last time was 1.5 years ago for his hip dysplasia xray , he was fine, but i was a wreck!

Raustyk has been fully under about 5 times since I adopted her about 7.5 years ago & has always handled it really well. If it makes you feel any better.

thanks it does, and by the way Raustyk is too cute for words!

I hope it's nothing serious. Good Luck poor boy!

{{HUGS}} to you and precious Face. I've known many dogs to have skintags - Simba included.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Your dog at 6 years old would be considered middle aged, basically in his prime, most of the growths that occur around the face are benign, Maya had one on her eyelid and it got a bit bigger than disappeared on its own sort of grayish coloured, forgot the type it is called, but common in young dogs. As far as anethesia in recent years pretty well vets have changed over to newer safer gases like propenol (sp) and isoflurane which are human grade, it is pretty rare now to have complications unless the dog has reaction like hyperthermia and since yours has already been under before without problems that won't be an issue, other problems could be blood clotting disorders but bloodwork is usually done just prior to make sure that is not the case, I know of 15 and 16 year old greyhounds who have had dentals done and came out just fine, so age is not really a factor, once my dogs turned 7 I asked for senior blood panels and physicals to be done prior to any surgery to see if there are any health problems that could be a concern, it does not mean if their is a health problem that surgery cannot be done, but it helps the vet know whether extra monitoring needs to be done or different choices of drugs should be used to induce