Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please

Help please

My charlie is 18 months old and has got an upset stomach this is the 6th/8th time now and it is upsetting me, we took him to the vets when he had it once before and he tested his poop and that was ok and gave him a blood test, the vet said he had a slight allergy but it was nothing to worry about. Ii have starved him for 24 hours and fed him chicken&rice this morning his stools were hard so I fed him this evening with dry food {james wellbeloved} and it is back.I am very frustrated and wondered if any of you had any suggestions.

thanks julie

Maybe there is something in the dog food that you are feeding him that is upsettin him, what kind of dog food does he eat?

Quote Originally Posted by senorita02
    Maybe there is something in the dog food that you are feeding him that is upsettin him, what kind of dog food does he eat?
    Thats what I was thinking.
    All dogs are different, one food may be great for one dog and another may have a problem with it. Even if it is a decent brand.

Did the vet say or did you ask what he's allergic to?

Also did you only take him to the vet once? Some parasites may not show up on every fecal, you may need to have another one done. Besides if it's happening this many times I'd really suggest you bring him back for a second opinion.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I have changed his dog food 3 times now and hes been on james wellbeloved dry food for 6months.The vet didnt say what the allergy was and when he said its nothing to worry about I didnt. should I chance vets.

I've never heard of that food. I did find it on the net but I still was unable to locate the ingredient list.

How long did you keep him on one food before changing it? Sometimes it takes a little while to see a difference. And you should also change their diet gradually, slowly adding a little of the new food to the old food, within about 2-3 weeks they should be on the new food & off of the old food.

Is he having any other symptoms at all or is it just the upset tummy? When you say upset stomach what exactly do you mean? What is he doing?

I wouldn't change vets... at least not yet anyways.
    First I'd call them & explain to them that the problem keeps returning. I'd also ask them what allergy they found and why they thought it wasn't important.
    Since this problem has happened quite a few times i'd deffinitely bring him back for another exam & fecal sample.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

I did change his food slowly, hubby has just reminded me that the vet said to find out what the allergy was we needed to have further tests so we are going to next week, he has diarreaha.I am from England so maybe the food is only available here. thank you for your replies.

When he's having diarrhea make sure he drinks plenty of water please. That can dehydrate a dog (or any other living creature) in no time.

Good luck at the vets next week.

Thankyou for your advice about the water.

Hi, Maybe the food, maybe something else. When you switched foods were the ingredient list very different? People often change foods not realizing they are not getting anything different.
    Are you using heart worm protection? Just tossing this out there for thought.
    FYI
    Ivermectin has been proven to cause the following side effects: Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, paralysis, jaundice and other liver problems, coughing, nose bleeds, high fevers, weakness, dizziness, nerve damage, bleeding disorders, loss of appetite, breathing difficulty, pneumonia, depression, lethargy, sudden aggressive behavior, skin eruptions, tremors, and sudden death. Though a minority of dogs experiences these reactions, they are seen in many breeds. Veterinarians also report that many dogs also get stomach and intestinal upsets, irritability, stiffness and just feel rotten for the first 2 weeks after each monthly dose of heartworm protection. An American Veterinary Association report on adverse drug reactions showed that 65% of all drug reactions reported and 48% percent of all reported deaths caused by drug reactions were from heartworm preventative medicine.

Keep in mind the stats at the bottom are from "reported" incidences and I believe that the reactions and deaths due to this drug are probably much higher. The reaction doesn’t have to be immediate either. A dog can be seemingly doing fine on heartgaurd or any other heartworm prevention containing Ivermectin (Ivomec) for months or years then all the sudden fall ill and neither the vet nor the owner would suspect the medicine
    Kim E.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."

we took charlie to the vets this morning, we couldnt start the tests for his stomach as he has a water infection and she has given charlie some antibiotics, but if he has it again we shall start the tests right away. the vet didnt seem to think it was anything serious as it was not something he has all the time. thankyou for all your replies.

julie

James Wellbelove and Burns is now being sold in Canada at speciality pet stores, I understand they are quality foods though I have not checked out the ingredients.

Others that suggested food may not be that far off, check for common ingredients in all 3 foods you have tried, in my one greyhound Sunny's case he cannot tolerate corn, it will cause him to vomit and cause loose stools.

Another possibility which can cause ocassionally vomitting is empty stomach symdrome, often you will know if this is the case as the vomitting is mostly occuring in the mornings, it can be helped by feeding 2 meals a day instead of one and also giving them a bedtime snack like bread or toast, so they are not going long periods without food in their stomach.

The vet said if it was the food he would constantly have the runs. not periodically.So we are all baffled as to what it is.

Blog Entries

Infection in Intestines?

Has the veterinary taken any samples & tested them to see what could be causing the food to pass through your dog like it has been doing. Maybe there is an intestinal infection & it needs to be treated with medication. Maybe check with the people you got the pup from also to see if they have had any problems their own dogs. Just some suggestions. Good thoughts & prayers sent your way for your pup.

when we had his poop tested about 6 months ago there was bacteria found, but as i explained in my other post test couldnt be done this time as he is on antibiotics for a water infection.

Quote Originally Posted by juju
    The vet said if it was the food he would constantly have the runs. not periodically.So we are all baffled as to what it is.
    The vet is wrong on that one. Dog food does not have the same sources of food in each batch/bag. In fact you don't have any idea what is in it or where it came from. Each batch may be simular, but its not the same chickens, the same corn, the same anything and dog food companies do not really know either. The dead/rejected for human consumption animals are taken to a rendering plant and cooked until the moisture is gone then turned into a powder and sold to dog food companies as 'meat'. The 'meat' now in powder form could have come from anywhere. Most likely diseased too. Not trying to gross you out, but if the meat in dog food was good enough for humans then humans would be eating it. That is a fact. What is in most if not all commercial dog foods is 'meat' that would be unacceptable/unfit for human consumption. So it CAN be the food and more then likely is in my opinion.
    Kim E.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it."