Thread: Weird discovery

Weird discovery

I made an accidental discovery some time ago, and I wonder if anyone else has made the same discovery. I have held back on mentioning it, because some people might find it a bit gross, and I will admit that it is weird. One time I was scratching my ear and a bit of ear wax got on my little finger. My cat Indigo was sitting on my chest at the time, and she got a sniff of the ear wax and went crazy licking it off my finger! When I told my son about it, of course he couldn't wait to experiment with our other cat, Beauty - and she, too went crazy for the taste!! Sorry if this is too gross, but I thought it was so interesting. Do other cats like the taste of ear wax? I know they like to lick us and each other as part of bonding, but this seems to go beyond that.

Wow, never heard of that before!

Ear wax is a natural antiseptic, so it's not poisonous or anything, i remember reading somewhere that rubbing it into your skin is good for you (I would NEVER try that though...LOL!)! Cats seem to develop strange tastes for things sometimes, my RB cat Brando used to have a particular liking for gravy granules.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Thanks for not telling me I am disgusting, gross, and weird for writing about my strange discovery. I just had to tell someone!!!!

It's only gross for humans. For cats- if it contains fat they'll like it. I never tried though

I don't think you are disgusting at all, I think it's fascinating. You learn something every day...
    Well at least you know what to do if they are ever off their food and need tempting...
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

One of my kitties seems fascinated by earwax as well. We have to bury the used Qtips in the trashcan in the bathroom or else he will dig them out, carry them into the living room and try to eat them (unfortunately, I've found remnants of the Qtips scattered throughout the house). There is definitely something that attracts them to it.

lol that's strange!!

WOW!! You never know what you will come across when you read the treads!!Actually, ear wax(cerumen) is produced by modified sweat glands in the exteranl auditory canal. Has not fat, just wax!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

chapstick

Our cat loves when my husband puts on chapstick (actually, its a burt's bees lip balm that he uses most of the time). If she smells him doing it, she will come over and want to lick him.

Jake's mom.

Yes, my cats like other special scents and tastes, too. One thing that at least two of my cats have loved is Patchouli oil, as licked off the inside of my wrist. Now that shows good taste! (It never seemed to do them any harm. I read somewhere that certain essential oils can be harmful to cats, but apparently not patchouli - at least not in very small doses.) My cat also simply likes it if I put my hands in my hair - then she likes to lick my fingers. The same cat - Indigo - also loves to lick the tip of my son's nose. Since he is an adolescent (and a boy), I assume he is "tastier" than his adult mother (me). She is a funny cat, because she hates being picked up by anyone else, but she allows him to carry her around, wear her on his head like a funny hat, and various other indignities.