Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rude Awakening

Rude Awakening

This morning at 5 AM I hear a loud gawwwk sound. Immediately I sit up straight in bed. This is not the first time I've heard this. Heidi is throwing up in her crate. Nothing much, mind you, just some gall. I open the door of her crate and she comes out. Let both dogs outside in the snow and Heidi goes poop as soon as she goes out.
    Do you think Heidi could whine or something when she needs to go outside? No. She throws up in her crate because she knows that I will wake up immediately and let her out of her crate, so she doesn't lay in her vomit. She has me well trained, wouldn't you say?

Happy.. Sounds like Heidi has you wrapped around her paw pretty tight!!! Are we sure she and Cody aren't related? Luckily I get nose licked. That's a pretty surprise awakening in it's own way, esp; from a sound sleep or great dream but, hey! I'm not complaining!!! xo

At our house it is "gurk, gurk, gurk" and that empty stomach bile that leaves the yellow stains on the carpet. A dog cookie before bed and one when we first get up can sometimes alleviate the acidy stomachs.

That's a good idea. I was going to suggest moving the feeding time to about an hour and a half before bed time. This would stimulate the dog to eliminate and use excess acid on digestion, but try the dog biscuit first.

Carrie, you've got to be kidding, right?
    She would never let me move her supper time! Her internal clock goes off at 4:30 PM, and she will not leave me alone until she gets fed.
    All kidding aside, she does get a few cookies before bed time. She has learned that if she throws up I get her out of the crate immediately because I do not want her to lay in her own vomit. I've conditioned her to that without really meaning to. But it's OK she doesn't do it often. Plus, I'd rather wash a dog bed than a dog.

Good grief that sounds like my dog!!! I swear she has to be the pukiest dog I have ever seen!!! Tho she usually does it in her crate while I am at work and has only gotten her head in it once.
    I know that when I say this I am going to get all Sorts of people YELLING at me but this is what I do.
    If I hear her stomach rolling I pop her a couple of tums or rolaids, and it does seem to help. She DOES NOT get these on a regular basis for those of you who think I am nuts, just occasionally.
    OR you can try your local pet food store and try the charcoal biscuits to help settle her stomach. I tried those too and they did pretty good.
    good luck!!

Ah, the fine art of throwing up...

Cinder talkin'. I've got this down to a fine science - almost an art form. Pick a nice day, shortly after brunch. Wander out of the shop on your rope and act completely normal (a gentle *Burp*, a stretch and yawn, maybe a quick pee, then flop in the grass). Dad will smile sweetly and retreat back inside to work. Select only the greenest grass blades -no weeds - and munch down a good pawfull or two of salad. Lay in the sun a few moments to allow everything to ferment and start to brew.

Now wander back inside and find Dad; smile sweetly at him and curl up behind where he's working. Important: be sure to muffle the first few gurgles and urrps - don't want to spoil the fun by being drug outside before the real action starts. When you've got the pressure built up to the max you can hold, let loose with a really good *Belllccchhh* and start moving towards a carpeted area. Walk quickly, 'cause your Human will be on full alert and make a mad dash to find you. On your way, dribble a few trails of barf so they can find you, but save the really good stuff for the carpet. Dad's always kind and gentle, trying to coax me to come to the door, but I always manage to stay rivited to the carpet while I hurl.

Don't dilly-dally after you're done - beat feet for the outer spaces; the Human will quickly loose his/her concern for your wellfare when they see the magnitude of your mess.

It's usally safe to return after the paper towels have been flushed and the blotting process has begun. Just be sure to wobble a bit when you appear, and have your best sad eyes and droopy tail look to obtain maximum sympathy and minimal shouting.

Couple of notes to doggie readers: don't try this more than three or four times per summer, and never on a rainy or snowy day. Human tolerance for this trick tends to be limited. And it's no fun to stand on the front porch whimpering to be let in while a winter storm is raging.

HAAAAHAAAHAA, sooooo true! MUST throw up ON the carpet! (True for cats too, BTW).

Phred (or should I say Cinder),

That was GREAT! Very, very funny...and true! Thanks for the laughs, it was very well written...good job, Cinder

That it too funny!!!!! Looks like someone's been peeking over the fence at my dogs. About the carpet thing: can anyone explain the "dogs have to do everything on the carpet" rule? Hubby and I bought a brand spankin' new house with brand spankin' new carpet, and the dogs have to take the crunchies out of the bowl (that is on vinyl floor) and bring them in to eat on the carpet. Not only that, but we have "carpet cookies" too. Anything that starts out (or should be) on the vinyl floor, always ends up on the carpet. Can't be cold paws because we live in the desert. Hmmmmmm. Ahh, almost forgot the "bones on the bed" rule too. Surely my home is not alone in this phenomenon?

Oh Cinder! And I thought our Frito Feet topic was a hoot!! Thanks for a real tear producing laugh! Have you been talking to Cody? Are you conspiring against me? Hmmm, I think I'm wise to your antics now!

Hey Teena!! Could be the linolium (sp) or wood floors. Why slip and slide when you can dig into that carpet to barf, eat, play? And the bed? Yummy! Your scent smells so good, compliments the doggie treats! I think they only like the plain ole floor when it's hot but they keep the good stuff for the carpet! I have beautiful golden hair complimenting my red rugs at all times. I call it frosted rugs!

Teena,

My dogs call their food "crunchies" too. And both my dogs take the cruchies out of the bowl and crunchy the crunchies on the carpet instead of the linolium (sp!) floor.

two out of three of my dogs puke in the house but my hercules refuses to puke in the house. one time when we weren't home and he couldn't get out side to puke so he jumped in to the bath tub and threw up in there! And when we are home, he run to us and then runs to the door with a really weird look on his face like "let me out nowww" and if we don't let him out in time he holds it in his mouth till we get to the door to let him out.

Hey, Herc,

Be careful holding in a good barf like that - you could blow your brains out. And doin' it in the tub - Wow! That must have earned you treats for a week.

I prefer the instant attention you get from doing a really nice cookie toss in the house.
    And if you have to do it at night and can't wake your Human up for the actual event, be certain to stage it directly between the bed and the bathroom - so he'll be sure to notice it first thing in the AM. Nothing more satisfying than hearing your name (rather than the Kat's) ringing throughout the house at the crack of dawn . /s/ Cinder