Thread: raw food question

raw food question

When Daphne's up with her current bag of purina one I'll be switching her to raw. The bag's getting low, so my question is, should I switch cold turkey (no pun intended), or gradually? I've heard that it's bad to feed raw and kibble in the same meal, so I suppose if I did it gradually I'd feed raw in the morning, kibble at night. But then she probably wouldn't eat her kibble at night! I don't want to make her sick - she has a sensitive stomach.

And if you're wondering... Cocoa isn't really on raw anymore. I tried, I really did. But she's not my dog. My grandma feeds her. At least she isn't eating chicken anymore, which we found she is allergic to, so she should be doing better.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

switch her cold turkey...your dog might have the runs for a day or two.....it just depends on the dog..but its best to switch them cold turkey

mine had some soft stools to begin with but nothing bad(i feed shadow and maggie raw)

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmericanPUP
    switch her cold turkey...your dog might have the runs for a day or two.....it just depends on the dog..but its best to switch them cold turkey

mine had some soft stools to begin with but nothing bad(i feed shadow and maggie raw)

Okay, thanks! I'll have to make sure I do it on a day when I'm home to let her out often.

why switching to raw, will you only be feeding turkey?? or what other stuff will you feed?? Is this better than kibble??

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I think it's best to switch completely, not gradually. I did that with Finn when I got him at 7.5 weeks, and, he was fine. I don't even remember his stool being affected. He was eating Eukanuba or Iams at the breeders, and, the night he came home, he had his first chicken leg.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I did cold turkey for both of my boys. It didn't seem to upset their tummies at all.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

7. Quote Originally Posted by poofy
    Is this better than kibble??
    Raw is better then EVERY kind of kibbled dog food out there. LOL
    i wish i could switch my dog to raw.. but my parents just gave me a weird look.
    plus i dont know what im doing and it kinda creeps me out.

Okay, thanks. I'm going to the butcher this week. (my parents were shocked, since I'm a vegetarian... going to the butcher. lol)

Quote Originally Posted by poofy
    why switching to raw, will you only be feeding turkey?? or what other stuff will you feed?? Is this better than kibble??
    No, we won't just be feeding turkey. Actually, it'll probably be mostly chicken, because it's cheap. Some people who feed raw don't add any veggies, but I'm going to. And yes, it is much better than kibble. Do a search on google for raw dog diet (or something along that line), and you'll find tons of sites about it.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    Okay, thanks. I'm going to the butcher this week. (my parents were shocked, since I'm a vegetarian... going to the butcher. lol)
    That's really funny, actually -- I'm a vegetarian too and at first I thought it might be wierd feeding them raw, but I'm seriously considering it now. Let me know how akward it is

Definatly cold turkey! Visa has diahrrea when she is switched to a kibble cold turkey, but she's never had a problem going onto RAW. Once I get a freezer, we can do RAW full time. Good luck!
    I've been BOO'd!

i did an overnight switch too

when my RB angel dog, duke, came home to me, he did an overnight switch. i had planned on slowly changing him, after all, he was 10, but he was MUCH more interested in the eaw food alex was eating, so i fixed him a bowl and that was it, he was raw fed. alex gets veggie mash (food processed veggies) and meats- ground beef heart, mackrel or chicken. he's been raw fed for 5 years now.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.