Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheesy gift... or not?

Cheesy gift... or not?

My sister is closing on her very first house December 15th.

I know there are quite a few walls she wants painted in her new home and there's some things she wants to do with it. I know she can't afford to do it all right away.
    I was thinking of getting her a Wal-Mart or Home Depot card for $100 as a Christmas Gift. I'm leaning more towards Wal-Mart as she can buy paint as well as other home essentials there.

I plan on making/drawing her something as well. She's always liked my drawings/crafts/etc.

What do you all think?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I think thats a great gift, I always love gift certificates, and specially sinc she is buying a new home she need that kind of stuff!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Gift certificates are always great, much better then buying something they may never use!

That is a great gift for a new homeowner. She can put it to good use for sure.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

I think it sounds like a great idea, but I'd suggest an actual home improvement place over Wal-Mart. The quality of paint is actually different and you'd be shocked to find out exactly what kind of things you can buy in a Lowe's or Home Depot that you never thought about. My brother asked for ideas for gifts for Josh and I and I actually said a gift card to Lowe's would be awesome. We want to paint, switch out faucets in the kitchen and numerous bathrooms, get new towel racks, new lighting fixtures, you name it... I definitely think it's a great gift, but I would definitely suggest a home improvement store over a Wal-Mart type place.

Just my $.02.

Thats a great idea.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I have to agree, I would pick Home Depot or Lowes over Walmart. I do shop at Walmart allll the time, but their paint quailty is no good, IMO. I have used their paint and Home Depot is much better. You could always do $50 Walmart, $50 Home Depot too, and add a note inside saying you will help her paint a room when needed . I love gift cards to Home Depot, I can always find stuff there I need/want.

Quote Originally Posted by Christiansmommy
    I have to agree, I would pick Home Depot or Lowes over Walmart. I do shop at Walmart allll the time, but their paint quailty is no good, IMO. I have used their paint and Home Depot is much better. You could always do $50 Walmart, $50 Home Depot too, and add a note inside saying you will help her paint a room when needed . I love gift cards to Home Depot, I can always find stuff there I need/want.
    This is exactly what I was gonna say I know that when we bought our new house, suddenly home improvement became not boring ideas, but a passion and pasttime! I'm sure your sister will love the paint idea!

I too would be wary of the paint at Wal-Mart. Personally, I think a new home owner could go right through $100 at Lowes, especially if there are a lot of walls to paint. Paint can be expensive.

I think I'd go with Lowes.

Are you kidding? $100 gift certificate for a home improvement store sounds like a fabulous gift to a homeowner! (I agree, better quality at Home Depot or Lowe's or whatever you have around) plus a drawing or project from you will be a treasured gift for their new home!

One time I got one of those form emails that people pass around and one of the questions was if you could have a gist card for $1000 from the store of your choice, which store would it be.. I said Home Depo. Days ;later I told Marie about it and made the comment "Just THINK what you could do with a $1000 gift card from Home depo!" I got a gfit card from there that Christmas... not for $1000 though, but I did get enough to get the cabinet for my fabric that I wanted.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Home Depot for the home for sure..great idea..

I think she would really love it Anyone would, I think!

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

Definately a great gift idea... and definately NOT Wal Mart. She'll be living at Home Depot or Lowes - trust me!

Sounds like both ideas are great .
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel