Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Near Bridgeport Connecticut??? HELP!

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?

Anyone Near Bridgeport Connecticut??? HELP!

Subject: CT: 30 Cats Thrown Out On Street Along W/Owner By Landlord!
    (I crossposted this from a Yahoo Groups list I'm on)

[email protected]

Sent: Friday, November 25, 2005 10:17 AM

Subject: Adela please read this

Adela,

I don't know where to go with this information.

I met a man who has an apt he owned in Bridgeport, Conn. He threw out a
    woman
    tenant who didn't pay the rent. She had 30 cats of all ages. Some
    babies.

She "said" he called the Animal Control Agencies. Who knows. But there
    are
    now 30 cats..who we know will multiply soon..or just die.

He threw the cats out too!

They are all now on the Street.

I found the address out:

25 Whittier Street
    Bridgeport,CT

He said he has carriers. But they are out in the street.

Can we make a mailing and see if ther are any recuers out there who can
    help?

Please get back to me at 631-445-5383

Thank you

Diane Cohen

[email protected]
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

Jan,

The message is dated 11/25 which was Friday. Are you SURE Animal Control hasn't gotten involved already? I live in New Haven which is about a half hour from Bridgeport. Anything I can do??

I can call my contacts at the newspaper and tv stations. Let me know.

Donna

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

There's a phone # and email for Diane Cohen who may have the best idea of what's going on down there. What a terrible time of year to ditch housecats out..well no time is good, but with Winter looming...GRR!!!!! Can you contact Diane (who I don't know, but she's posted her # and need so hey)!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

I left a message on Diane Cohen's cellphone and told her to call me immediately. I won't make any calls till I hear from her as to the status of the situation.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Another big THANKS Donna! If I lived near there, I'd be at that address posted getting things done in anyway I could. So happy for the internet and quick notification of things like this. Keep me posted once again and sure hope the cats will be OK and not slammed by cars etc.
    Author Unknown ~*~

I talked to Diane Cohen. She seemed a bit "flighty" but did say that a woman in the building at Whittier Street is feeding the cats. I contacted the Bridgeport Cat Project and left a message to have them call me. Diane said that the landlord DID in fact, put all the cats out. They range in age from babies to adults. They are friendly. She said the landlord went into the woman's apartment and it was covered in cat poo and pee. Evidentally they never had litterboxes.

I am online now looking into other rescue organizations that might be able to help. I'll let you know how I make out. What a nightmare!!!

How awful! Poor cats didn't deserve to be tossed out like that, but the landlord should have put his foot down before renting! I wish it was mandatory to alter and vaccinate any pet that renters bring in. Not only would a situation like that have potentially been avoided (as no doubt the cats have been reproducing right & left) it would have saved rescuers the nightmare of trying to find places for these cats. Maybe the media should step in....'famous cats' get homes fast. What an awful sounding situation for all involved. Geesh...sure wish I were closer to come a snoopin'!
    Author Unknown ~*~

I called Pet Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) and left a message there. They're located in Norwalk. Let's see who can help. I'm also going to call WTNH Channel 8 and give them the address. Maybe with a little media involvement we can get the cats the help they need.

I just talked to someone in the newsroom at Channel 8. He took down the address and said that he'd look into it first thing in the morning, that there wasn't much he could do tonight (it's 9:50 pm here). They also have my cellphone number and will call me tomorrow. Let's pray the power of the media will help these furkids!!!

What that landlord did was despicable!!!

I hope it actually is 25 Whittier St. and not some other location just in case the news crew does show up! The landlord deserves a good smack for dumping the cats out. At least he could have called a shelter and explained the situation first! Most shelters would have come and taken all the cats & kittens away. Instead this idiot creates a nightmare by dumping them outside! And we wonder why there's so many feral colonies and euthanasia by the millions in this country??!!! OK..GRRR...Off my soapbox and off to bed. Thanks Donna for helping out on this, and do keep me uppydated if you hear anything more.
    Author Unknown ~*~

Diane Cohen confirmed the address for me. I'll let you know what they say when Channel 8 calls me. When I heard the rain outside, all I could think about were those poor discarded babies hovering to keep dry. UGH!!!

All in a day's work, but you KNOW that silly billy!!!

I spoke with a woman from the Bridgeport Cat Project tonight. She sent a bazillion emails to all the volunteers at the BCP. I told her I'd help her in anyway I can. We're trying to find out the name of the landlord so we can have charges pressed against him for animal abandonment and abuse.

I gotta tell ya though, that woman Diane Cohen is a bit of a flake. She was mad because one of the women she talked to who was involved in rescue, according to her, "wanted to be in charge". She rambled on about how how she didn't believe that cats should live in cages. I told her it was much better than being on the streets fending for themselves. BCP said that they only put them in cages for a week, just to isolate them while they're tested and vaccinated.

I also called WTNH Channel 8 to follow-up on their coverage. They said they'd call me tomorrow and let me know either way.

That's it for now. Stay tuned!!

Well maybe Diane Cohen is willing to take them all into her home uncaged until room is available in shelters for them? And sure hope she's financially prepared for the URIs that crop up from them being in the cold damp weather. She sounds like a flake, too bad there isn't anyone else to go through and get things rolling.
    Author Unknown ~*~

Well, I think that a bunch of us are going to converge on the place this weekend. Since the cats seem to be friendly, according to Diane, we're going to bring carriers. Weather reports say we're getting snow on Sunday. I HOPE we can get them off the streets by then.

My roommate did a check on the property (it pays to live with someone with connections ) to see who owns the building. It's owned by a guy who lives in Stamford. The lady from the BCP said Diane is going to call her later on tonight with the landlord's phone number. This guy is going down for what he did to those poor kits.

Way to go Donna! I'd love to know who the tenant who was evicted is as well...as she is going to start up the same crap,in a different location. And it's good to get incriminating testimony from the landlords mouth that can be used in court..otherwise well...you know how the court system works in America. Wonder if there's a form sheet that could be made up for him to sign? Something like I (landlords name) allow such & such an orginization to remove said cats evicted from property at (address)... The only way he'll get prosecuted is via some sort of document that states he threw out the cats etc.
    Author Unknown ~*~

He CLAIMS he called Animal Control. But according to BCP, the guy never does anything when cats are involved but call them. Nice, huh??