Thread: What really is a tabby cat?

What really is a tabby cat?

I have been so confused about this. I now confirm that the forehead M and stripes is the most tell-tale sign of a tabby. They do come in colors other than gray and brown .... as I had thought ... but my new webpage for tabbies can only hold so many! For those who have tabbies other than brown and gray, I will soon be making a page for Orangies .. and may go further with color patterns as well.

OK ... here is a website that explains colors, patterns, and etc....

http://www.devons.com/tabby.html

Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Down here orangies are called ginger cats or red tabbies. Cat show people are more likely to call them red tabbies.

I had no idea there was so much variety in tabby patterns. I thought they were all like the classic and striped one shown. I didn't know they could be ticked, etc. I have seen them in several colors, though. I've also seen Calico tabbies ... if that makes any sense.

My Inka is a grey tabby, but with lots of white too; her chin and nose, part of her belly and her paws.

I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I recall reading many years back, that genetically every cat has tabby in them. Not sure how much truth in in that, but I've noticed often with 'solid' black kittens that if sunshine hits their fur just right, they appear striped. There's so many variations it boggles the mind!
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

I thought that Tabbies had a blending of colors.I know Michael is an Orange Tabby,but Is Nugget who is a solid Gold Color?
    This is confusing to an Old Cat Lover.

A Nugget more [precious than 24 Karat Gold!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Chester and Amy are what I call "Tabby & White". If I had the choose WHICH tabby I liked the best I would have a bad problem deciding. They have that "M" thing on their forehead. When Samantha had kittens, her little solid black ones seemed to have stripes, like Jan said... when the sun hit them right.

I just know that God knew what he was doing when he created cats and their many colors and patterns.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Gary, I do believe that Nugget is a tabby. I can faintly see his "M" marking on his forehead. Heck, I would venture to say that every cat here on PT is a tabby in one form or another! I had just mostly associated tabbies with the brown and gray colors, sorry I made my website page exclusively for those ... but I do have limited space ... I have to pay for more!

Jan ... you were right, that site also said that all kitties carry the tabby gene.

Kim

Queen Scoop Alot and I must have read the SAME book, because I recall "that all cats are tabbies," too! Our Tuxedo, Tina Peepers, when in the sun, you can see the faint stripes on her!!! I have read about the CLASSIC, BLOTHCED, and Mackeral striped tabbies. The blotched has the swirls, the mackeral the stripes go 'round the body, and the classic has stripes, but I do not remember how they go!!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

My Felix is Tabby & white

Felix's Catster Page- http://www.catster.com/?150963

Felix's Website Page- http://www.felinefelix.piczo.com

Beer's Dogster Page- http://www.dogster.com/?168340

Here is a page that describes the different tabby patterns!

http://www.devons.com/tabby.html

Well that was very interesting to read Kim. I thought the Classic Tabby was the one with the stripes and the Mackerel had the swirls like our Chipper.
    That's what I love about this site. I have learnt so much in the years I have been here.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010