Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitty question

Kitty question

I have a 5 month old cat that has an unsual habit. She like to climb on my lap and suck on my shirt. I am wondering why she does this. Does anyone here have this same thing happen to them? I also have a seven year old cat that likes to pee on throw rugs in the bathroom or in the living room. I am wondering why she does this. When they are gone she doesn't do it. Can someone please help me with this. I would really like to have my rugs back in my bathroom. Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to PT. I think that your little kitten Star may have been weaned too early so she's now suckling on your skirt like she'd be doing to her mother. When she does this, is she also kneading and purring? My RB Pepper used to knead on my neck or chest and drool because he'd get so excited. She must find comfort with you and your skirt.

I'm not sure why your other cat keeps peeing on your bathroom rugs but I remember some other people here having the same problems. I think that they just ended up throwing their rugs away and this solved the problem. Maybe she's trying to tell you that she doesn't like the rugs in the bathroom. Good luck.

I have two 5 month old kitties and one is named Star and the other is Smokey. Yes she does need and purr when she is doing that. Then she will sit down on my lap and get comfy. Maybe she does find comfort with me. WOW that makes me feel kinda good. Thank you for the nice welcome.

When Miss Kitty kept peeing on my bathroom rugs I kept washing them with Kids and Pets. It was supposed to kill any odor from the caprets and keep them from peeing there again. Oh well I guess it did not work. I did end up thowing them out. Now she likes to pee on the kitty mat we put infront of the litter box. Man I can't win. Star like to kiss us, we just think she loves us. We sure do love her.

Its just a phase and they will grow out of it. I had adopted a kitten who was abandoned by its mother and was weaned POSSIBLY too early, I'm not sure as I don't quite remember his exact age when I adopted him. But he would suckle on the skin between your thumb and index finger. He grew out of it of course.

facebook

I've been worried about this same thing with my little one; she is three months old now, and the only time she really gives affection is when she is perched on my breasts sucking the top of my shirt. We found her at 3 weeks, so I had been guessing this was a residual calming mechanism. I hope she grows out of it at least some though, its kind of sad watching her faux-nursing.

My RB Pepper used to knead on my neck or chest and drool because he'd get so excited. She must find comfort with you and your skirt.
    My Peppurrr does the exact same thing. I thought he would grow out of his suckling habit, but he is almost four now, so I guess not

I don't know if there is much truth to this, but my mom told me that cats love to pee on dirty things so if the rugs were dirty that could be why. Also, to eliminate pet odors on something they peed on, I use a very strong spray cleaner called Awesome. It's available at most dollar stores, more specifically dollar tree always has it. I sprayed it on some things my cat peed on and he hasn't gone on them since.

I had just put them back down after I washed them. She came into the bathroom right after that and peed on it so I pitched it.. Thank you for a name of a cleaner,I will check it out..

Every time I pick up Pesca, she kneads my shoulders and licks my neck.
    I don't mind the kitty kisses, but I could do without the kneading, she has sharp claws!
    I don't think she will grow out of this habit b/c she's 2 yrs old.

Oh well....
    Van
    Tux and Pesca's meowmie

Quote Originally Posted by Van10
    Every time I pick up Pesca, she kneads my shoulders and licks my neck.
    I don't mind the kitty kisses, but I could do without the kneading, she has sharp claws!
    I don't think she will grow out of this habit b/c she's 2 yrs old.

Oh well....

Yes it hurts. I hate that when my Boots kitty does that. I wonder if they realize they are hurting us when thet kneed on us? I don't mind kitty kisses either it makes me feel loved.

your kitty guestion

get your kitten some vitamins then maybe she will stop mine does that to my bed covers shes a devil and its the only time she will be sweet so i let her do it have you ever heard of bitter apple spray. Cats hate the smell and they will stay away from any thing that smells like it call around to vets to see who has it because not all vets carry it. Spray it on things that she pees on and tends to scratch up and she may leave it alone.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette165
    get your kitten some vitamins then maybe she will stop mine does that to my bed covers shes a devil and its the only time she will be sweet so i let her do it have you ever heard of bitter apple spray. Cats hate the smell and they will stay away from any thing that smells like it call around to vets to see who has it because not all vets carry it. Spray it on things that she pees on and tends to scratch up and she may leave it alone.

My husband just read your reply and said he has heard of that. I am wondering if I can get it at Petsmart? I really would like to get some new rugs for our bathroom,but not if she's gonna pee on them. I will ask out vet about bitter apple spray and she if they carry it.

Hi, about the shirt-sucking thing... it's called wool sucking and is usually not a problem. A cat will suck and chew many materials (not just wool) and may also seem relaxed and contented, a bit like when a baby sucks its thumb. It's probably and inherited trait, especially if your cat is a siamese. However, make sure that your cat doesn't swallow too much material because it may need to be surgically removed.
    Also, the peeing thing, cats just tend to do that as they get older. I had a cat called Brando who used to do it a lot, there's not an awful lot that can be done about it.
    Hope i've been of help!

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Mom
    I have a 5 month old cat that has an unsual habit. She like to climb on my lap and suck on my shirt. I am wondering why she does this. Does anyone here have this same thing happen to them? I also have a seven year old cat that likes to pee on throw rugs in the bathroom or in the living room. I am wondering why she does this. When they are gone she doesn't do it. Can someone please help me with this. I would really like to have my rugs back in my bathroom. Thank you in advance.
    Star's Mom, We did have a cat who did sucked on shirts we were wearing (mainly flannel) when he was weaned very early, and also one who sucked on her own self. We rescued her at seven months and she was still doing it. I started rubbing her under her chin each time she did this and she sort of transferred to that pattern. Both outgrew their habits and were fine feline friends. Sucking like that usually means that they miss their mothers. Sort of a little kid on a pacifier longer than usual. The one who sucked on herself is 17 now and still with us. She had one litter and grew up through that. A wonderful pet and companion for all these years.

Not sure about why the peeing on the throw rugs...but good to wash them in strong soap...so that the smell is completely gone. Could be just a bad habit once they start is hard to break. We have had a couple of cats over the years who chose the bathtub in which to leave their presents. I soaked the tub with purex letting it sit for a few hours and this helped. If they can't smell the previous smell...they tend to stay away from the areas where they peed. And putting down additional litter boxes has helped us too.

We have had cats for 44 years and each one is different. Hope this helps.

treybabe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Yes, each and everyone of you has helped with with this sucking on shirts and Miss Kitty peeing on my throw rugs. I always washed them every week. I know they pee on things that are dirty or they think are dirty. I even scoop thier littler box's 2 times a day. I will try the bitter apple and see what happens. Thank you all for the very sound advice.