Thread: Citronella collars

Citronella collars

Hi All,

This is my first official post. I think this site is pretty friendly and informative.

I am wondering about the effectiveness of citronella collars. If they work to control barking, which brand is the best purchase?

A little about my situation:

I live in an apartment complex and my dog is a two year old, red merle aussie. For the most part, he is a fantastic doggie. I say most part, because his misbehavior only occurs when raining or my fiance and I have a test--these occurances result in less time for Foster to run and wear himself out outside. When we first brought Foster home, we lived on the bottom floor and received less traffic than we do now on the second floor. Foster barks at the door of all those who come by, and especially those outside bouncing basketballs.

Though I do not mind his door barking (let's me be aware of people hanging around my door), it is unacceptable for my apartment. I do not want to get kicked out. What is a safe, gentle way to train my doggie to tone down his barking'

Thanks

hi fosteraussie....how is foster written in your lease???? what are your guidelines??? is this a new place?? maybe foster needs time to settle...don't forget...aussies' are herding dogs....he wants to round up whats' on the other side of the door....does he have a good brisk walk before you go to bed or leave in the a.m.???? does he have toys to play with when you are not there???? how about those ones that let out a little kibble at a time as a treat??? this is meant to occupy his time....(some are better than others)...see what others on the board have to say....ck. with logan,sleepinir,ally,,,etc.,etc., they always have good suggestionds....and dixie dancer let us not forget....
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Hi and welcome! We've got a 1 1/2 year old black tri Aussie named Eli, and we know all about the Aussie urge to "alert" people to threats outside the door.... Eli used to be terrible about this, especially when we'd travel and stay in hotel rooms where unfamiliar noises were so close to the room. We did this: when Eli first barked, we praised him for doing a "good job" of protecting us. (Aussies love jobs!) Then we gradually taught him the word "quiet" (treats and praise, treats and praise), and he eventually learned that it's okay to bark ONCE but then he must not continue barking.

Your boy Foster is no doubt way-smart and will catch on to the commands easily if you work with him. Use "quiet" along with the finger-to-your-lips signal, and I bet he'll learn pretty fast!

Post a pic when you can, too!

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

I used the citronella collar on my previous dog Ripley who had a problem with barking when we weren't home. I don't think it would be necessary if your pup only does it when you are there. In that case, you would need to do some hands-on training and Im NOT the person to help you as I'm in the process of teaching "quiet" myself!!! But I wanted to let you know that I have used that collar. In fact I still have it if anyone needs to borrow it. ( It cost an arm and a leg! The vet has actually borrowed it from me to loan to her patients before ) I purchased it in a last ditch effort to keep my severe seperation anxious, clomicalm taking shih-tzu Ripley in an apartment. It didn't work and he is living in a wonderful home

The problem with the collar is that it will only spray once when they bark which sometimes will stop them (Ripley used to bark at the spray! He was such a tough little guy!!) And it only squirted about 15 times if that. So if 16 people come in the building or 16 separate "bark-at-able" situations occur, they are back on a roll.

Welcome to Pet Talk by the way. I"m sure plenty of people here will have more advice for you. You will love it here!

Thanks everybody!

Foster is written into our lease and is accepted here at our apartment. When we first got Foster, my fiance and I were finishing our lease in the undergrad section of the the complex. Our new apartment is in the graduate/professional portion of the complex. Here, I believe that noise will be less tolerated, as our apartment complex is pet friendly, but people first. I have met and discussed Foster with 90% of our neighbors and they like him. As Foster sexually matured, he became a tad agressive towards people outside and near me. He also had to spend the past summer with another Aussie (while my fiance and I did an out of town internship) who was owner protective. You would think his sister would be nicer! He picked up some naughty habits from her, which thankfully, we mended. However, we did have to neuter Foster. I know that it is not a sure fix for agression, but he back to the lovable Foster I knew prior to summer and all problems gone (except for barking). During the day, the barking is not a problem. It is just during the evening when people are coming home. The foyer to our building echos and I do not want it to sound like we live with cujo.

How can I teach the quiet command to Foster, when my bedroom is far from the front door? We have tried the easy trainer, and it somewhat works. However, as it gives me a headache, I have abandoned it believing it will cause damage to Foster. I think the citronella collar might work because Foster scurries from the room whenever I take out any of my purfume bottles.

I know Foster is smart and can learn. He learnt his tricks weeks before puppy school and when we decided to get fancy covers for the couch it only took a few weeks to erase a year of being allowed on the couch. All I did was get him a super nice bed (it is so comfy) and give him treats and all his toys only when he was on his bed. Soon, he learned that his bed is like his crate, a "special Foster place." He even jumps on his bed when it is proped up on our weight bench.

Another no no I want to cure from Foster is licking guests and trying to hang on them. However, even with his quirks, he is a fantastic dog and very well behaved. I will post two pictures of him tonight.

Picture number one, the night we brought him home.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Picture number two. Foster on his bed (good boy!). Amber (cat) still tolerates him! It was so funny when we took Foster to puppy class. He would lose every play fight because he ran at the other puppies and pounce and wack with outstretched paws as he learned from playing with Amber.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ACK!!! Puppy-itis! He's GORGEOUS!

Does Foster bark only when he's being protective of your home, or is he also "mouthy" during playtime and/or when he's happy and excited? Eli, like lots of Aussies, is VERY vocal when playing and getting wound-up, so that's a good time to try out the training words and signals (if you can be someplace besides your apartment!). Or if that's just not feasible I'd say the citronella collar is the best bet, although I've never actually tried one.

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

OMG!

Foster is such a beautiful dog! Just wanted to add that, sorry, don't have any advice, my dogs don't bark! Lucky me!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Foster is beautiful!! And he was a adorable puppy! How did you ever spend a whole summer away from him!!??

I think we should ask Carrie or Dixieland Dancer or KYS maybe for help on this one. I would sure like to hear their response too! I know how frustrating it can be when a dog is barking and you can't get him/her to stop. Especially when one lives in an apartment...
    I dont' think the citronella collar would be useful if the barking occurs when you are home,like I said before. Or does Foster bark whether you are home or not?
    I think training the "quiet" command would be appropriate for when you are there and if the barking continues when you are not home to stop him, then the citronella collar may come in handy. I consider any "aids" such as these extreme myself and don't like using them. I used it in Ripley's case because he had severe seperation anxiety and it was a last resort.
    If you believe Carrie and many other dog trainers/ behaviorists, which I do!, once a leadership is established, the dog should respond to your commands once trained. I really shouldn't talk though since Duncan does not know "quiet", among other things! Everytime I put my sneakers on, he goes nuts barking at me until I get him outside!

I'm sure someone will chime in with help soon! If we get lost, I'll email someone! I want you to hear some of the wonderful advice offered here and since I've been here longer, I won't let your problem go unsolved!!!!
    Last edited by jennifert; 04-02-2002 at 11:57 AM.

Foster thanks you tremedously for all the warm compliments (he is a real ham for attention).

The more I think about it, I really do not want to employ the training collar. I believe that Foster will learn very quickly. The reason his barking is reduced during the day is due to less traffic and his crate being away from the door. When he is in our bedroom, the barking is elminated. However, we cannot all live in the bedroom. He learned not to sit on the couch, I think he can learn barking at the door is a no no.

I was heartbroken to spend the whole summer away from Foster, but it was justifiable for the situation. Everytime I missed him, I had to remind myself that he was at family member's home playing in a yard with another aussie (his half sister) and another dog. The alternative was sitting in his crate for over 12 hours, living in a smaller apartment, and not even having a field for frisbee. It would have been selfish of me to take him with us. Being at the still impressionable stage, he did learn a few bad habits, but we quickly rememdied those!

oh foster!!!! i see that you can absolutely can do no wrong!!!! you are too precious!!!!! right from puppyhood!!!! you keep those photos coming!!!!! he is ssooo beautiful!!!!
    maybe if you asked your question on "dog general" you might catch the eye of dixie dancer,etc....but i have seen so many great words of wisdom for you and your dear foster!!!! aussies' being sssooo smart i am sure that this barking issue will be over in no time!!!!!
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids