Thread: Heeeelllpp Please!

Question Heeeelllpp Please!

Hi Everyone, please help. I have a 9 month old Yorkshire Terrier, his name is Scrappy Doo. I love him sooo much and my son is attached to him as well. Scrappy tends to bark I would say 50% of the time that he is home and if he is not barking he is trying to bite my flip flops of off my feet or chew on something else that he shouldn't be chewing on. He still goes to the bathroom in the house, regardless of how much we take him outside (which is every 2 hrs when we are home). He used to wake me up at 3:30am every night when we had him sleeping downstairs, but he has gotten better since I let him sleep in either my room or my son's room. I have tried to take him to training classes which introduced the clicker method, but now he only listens during our "training sessions" and then starts going crazy shortly thereafter. I don't want to get let him go, but my husband and I are so frustrated. I feel like we have tried everything, but I would like to know if there is something else that I should be trying. We do have a crate for him and he stays there overnight and during the day while we are at work. Please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scappy'sMoM
    Hi Everyone, please help. I have a 9 month old Yorkshire Terrier, his name is Scrappy Doo. I love him sooo much and my son is attached to him as well. Scrappy tends to bark I would say 50% of the time that he is home and if he is not barking he is trying to bite my flip flops of off my feet or chew on something else that he shouldn't be chewing on. He still goes to the bathroom in the house, regardless of how much we take him outside (which is every 2 hrs when we are home). He used to wake me up at 3:30am every night when we had him sleeping downstairs, but he has gotten better since I let him sleep in either my room or my son's room. I have tried to take him to training classes which introduced the clicker method, but now he only listens during our "training sessions" and then starts going crazy shortly thereafter. I don't want to get let him go, but my husband and I are so frustrated. I feel like we have tried everything, but I would like to know if there is something else that I should be trying. We do have a crate for him and he stays there overnight and during the day while we are at work. Please help!!!
    Alright, as far as the chewing goes, you can buy this stuff called bitter apple spray, and I think you can spray it on pretty much everything with it being safe. Maybe get someone to exercise him more too during the day for the other problems..it may help him sleep. for the potty training, try taking him out every hour or so if possible. And while he goes potty, say "go potty, go potty" and reward him when he goes.

AHH i'm late gotta go to class , good luck!

Yes, exercise is always a good thing. He might be bored. What you need to do, is tie him to you. When he goes to chew on something he shouldn't, interupt him and offer something else. He'll get the idea. If he dosen't, try using a water bottle and squirt him. Make sure he is outside about a half hour after his meals. Don't free feed him, keep him on a schedule. Make sure to pick up food and water at about 6 pm, or a few hours before you go to bed. He will come around eventually. Keep it up with the crate.

Don't give up on Scrappy yet

He's starting into puppy adolesence (his teenage years) and will be recalitrant, moody, disobedient, etc

I am a beleiver in 'positive re-enforcement' training over clicker --- you always have love and attention on you.

He needs to burn off Yorkie energy - so a long play session outside (not alone) each day will help alot. Also, consistency (especially at his age) will get him in line --- sit means sit not think about it or not do it. As 'no' means 'no' with consequences for not obeying - be it chewing barking, nipping, etc. Have him wear his collar and leash in the house and when he starts chewing/barking, etc tell him no and leash pop him (a hard tug on the leash so he turn toward you then praise and reward for stopping. As for the bathroom prob - crate train him. Cowboy (my 11 mo old ESS) is the first dog I have crate trained - and I will ALWAYS use one from now on. Our field trainer has lifted Cowboy off his feet (at 54 lbs) by the sides of his neck and yelled 'no' in his face - once a dog is off his feet he has no control - and by usung the skin on the sides of the neck you have control of the mouth (can't bite you).

Potty=reward (loves and treats) - make sure he has plenty of 'acceptable' chew toys...

Terriers are barkers, that's a given. lol. They are VERY vocal and the yappiest of any dog out there. If you don't want a dog that barks a lot then a terrier probably wasn't the best choice. BUT with proper training you can teach him to control it sometimes.

But he just sounds like he's going through his rebellious "adolescent" stage where it seems all the tricks and training go out the window. That's not the case, in fact its when they REFUSE to listen to you that you know they really do know the commands, so be proud of yourself. He'll "grow up" one day and everything will just click. Until then -- PERSISTANCE!! Don't slack in training, and don't loose your cool, even if he doesn't listen!

facebook

Thumbs up

DON'T GIVE UP!!! He is still just a pup and he'll need some training. It sounds a lot like what I was going through w/ my dog. For your help w/ only being good at the classes, just work w/ him at home. Make it a duty to practice with him at least every other night. FInd some treats he likes and use those. He will get better as he grows. PLZ DON'T GIVE UP FOR SCRAPPY'S SAKE!!! I can tell he has a loving home and he needs you. And don't get frustrated. He will sense that and try to make you feel better by what he calls playing and what we call being annoying. It just takes some time.
    Love my dog, I'll love you,
    Corner my dog, I'll corner YOU!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

An animal's eye have the power to speak a great language. - Martin Buber

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney

Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you everyone for your posts. They were all good and really helped me feel good to know that we are at least trying to do the right thing. I have talked to many people at my job who are dog owners as well and they have told me the same. I tried having him on a leash with me at all times tonight and he did get a bit aggravated because he is used to having free reign of downstairs, but he was a little bit more calm and spent most of the night in my lap. I took him for a very long after work and he loved it and was definitely a little bit more calm. I suspect he was just tired from the walk. But I will continue trying the various suggestions and keep you updated of my baby's progress. Thanks again.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Scappy'sMoM
    hi. I think the problem is your dog is not around you enough. he needs a baby sitter. or when you leave your dog put a radio on with soft music so that he doesnt think hes alone. dogs are like kids. they nedd to be w/someone 24/7.

Yorkie

Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I have a year old yorkie female and I am currently feeling like she may have to go. She is driving me crazy as well. She was housetrained great, would come and get us if she had to go, but now has totally regressed. And she totally attacked me tonight, so I am hoping she outgrows this because I do know they can go through a bratty period at about a year old. This is my first yorkie, however, so I am not sure if this is typical. We had a sheltie for 11 years and she was a dream, never an accident at all. So any yorkie owners out there, is there hope?

Question charlie 213

hi, I have a male dog he is 13 years old(people yrs). he is starting to wheeze really bad every time he gets up and moves around .It breaks my heart everytime. because there is nothing i can do.its like hes gasping for air.does anyone have any suggetions? :

I Understand

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle33
    Hi there, I just wanted to let you know that I have a year old yorkie female and I am currently feeling like she may have to go. She is driving me crazy as well. She was housetrained great, would come and get us if she had to go, but now has totally regressed. And she totally attacked me tonight, so I am hoping she outgrows this because I do know they can go through a bratty period at about a year old. This is my first yorkie, however, so I am not sure if this is typical. We had a sheltie for 11 years and she was a dream, never an accident at all. So any yorkie owners out there, is there hope?
    Judging from the advice that I received, I think it may just be that "adolecent" stage. Scrappy was such a sweetie when we first brought him home. I love him so much and when I look at his face I melt every time. But trust me when I say for the last month I have been feeling like I hit a road block. He "attacks" us to by either biting or barking and just being just plain bratty. I think it is just the fact that they want the attention 24/7 and we are only able to give them a portion of that. I know someone with a yorkie and she is as calm as can be. She just lays around and waits to be cuddled and never really went through the bratty stage like our babies. Good luck please let me know if you find out anything as well.

Right now, I am training my aunts dog (a lab/dalmatian mix, I know, that is a HUGE difference) Anyways, persistancy works. I almost gave up with the training when Alex went backwards! She had learned sit, and quit jumping, then she turned around and started jumping and wouldn't listen to me! I just kept on, and "retaught" her that when I say down/no/sit, that is what I mean!

All I would say, is use positive words, and I have found that showing what is good to chew on (a toy) and what is not good to chew on works very well. Never use negative training.

Try to take a ball or a favorite stuffed toy and get his full attention by tieing him up in a little area where it is just you, and telling him sit. After he sits successfully (you might have to make him sit for a couple of tries) you give him the toy and play. After about a 3 minute session, give him a 5 minute break of offleash time and play time, then do another three minute session. Do about five three minute sessions a night. Thank you for not giving up on Scrappy Doo!

Good Luck!-
    Steph (and the gang)

Well to help him sleep threw the night, never let him have a nap right before bed. Then when it's time to sleep he will have renewed energy. Give him vigorous exercize before bed. (about a half hour before bed time) I have never heard of the yorkie breed having these problems, so it's not because he's a yorkie. He is old enough now to hold going potty all night now, so if he crys during the night, don't give in. It took Molli until she was 10 months old to be potty trained, so don't give up. Bitter apple works great for chewing on inappropriate things. Make sure when you correct him for chewing on things that you give him a toy right away, and lots of praise.

Good Luck, and don't give up!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*