Thread: potty training

potty training

Sometimes Sammy will only make 1 mistake during the day. The next day he might make 6 mistakes. Now that its cold he doesn't want to go potty outside and when he comes in he pees!! It makes me soooo ANGRY. But then his cuteness makes up for it..... anyways, I take him out every hour to an hour and a half. He holds it for the intire night (most nights) and doesn't wake me up at all. But during the day he's not that great. He has learned that he can go in his kennel and pee on his pad. sometimes he does it, and other times he doesn't. It's like he plans in the morning "I am gonna pee all over the house today" and the next day "I feel like being an angel"

Please help!

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

what i found that helps a little bit, is if you make your dog run around a bit outside...it usually helps their bladder and digestion. that may help if your dog walks outside, comes back in & pees

sometimes i put molli out with him and they run around and he usually doesn't make mistakes then. so maybe that works some?

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I always put my two outside together if not for convenience on my part but they usually run around together outside too.

I've also trained them to potty on command. When I let them out I watch them. THE SECOND they start going potty, I say "GOOD POTTY!! Good potty girl!!" etc. Now I'm trying to help them distinguish between going outside to potty and going outside to play. If they're going out to potty I say "let's potty!" and if they're going out to play I say "let's go outside!!".

Teaching them "potty" also helps if you're on a walk or in apartments to make them potty on a leash.

Anyway just give your pup TONS of praise for going potty outside/on the pad and absolutely NONE for going in the house. Eventually he'll get it, "hey if I potty on the pad mom is REALLY HAPPY and gives me lots of attention but if I don't I don't get any attention at all!" and he'll learn in time!!

facebook

ok thanks for the suggestions! i did catch him go potty on his pad and right when hes done i gave him lots of kisses and told him what a good boy he was. but i can't tell him he's good right when hes going because he will walk over to me while he's still peeing! weird huh? lol

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Hehe I can see how that would be a problem, but the point being is that he will start to associate potty with the pad, and associate that with attention, and that's what matters.

facebook

yep. i will keep doing that. he is outside goin potty.... prolly freezing his butt off. its prolly below zero right now BrRrRrR

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*