View Poll Results: Have you ever rescued from a shelter, pound, or rescue group?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I have one that I rescued from the pound right now.

50 66.67%
  • Yes, I have rescued one before.

15 20.00%
  • No.

10 13.33%
  • No way... Too risky

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever rescued from a shelter, pound, or rescue group?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy'sMom
    Spot was rescued from a shleter in very sense of the word. He was literally on the table to be PTS, when the the girl with him started crying. The shelter manager gave her one more day to find him a home, and long story short, after a 500+ mile round trip, I brought him home and have never regretted it for a minute.

This type of story makes my eyes well up with tears!! God love you for taking in Spot.

Quote Originally Posted by gini
    This type of story makes my eyes well up with tears!!
    Me too! A mixture of sad and happy tears.

All of these stories are so touching. Thanks for sharing them. My two didn't come from a shelter but from couple who were moving and because of the travelling they were doing thought it best that they go to another home. I got them at the "nth" hour....the night before they moved. As of then, they had no home so I don't know what would have happened to them if I had not seen their ad a couple of days before. When I retire, I will be getting an adult dog from a shelter and maybe a kitty or two.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Spot was rescued from a shleter in very sense of the word. He was literally on the table to be PTS, when the the girl with him started crying. The shelter manager gave her one more day to find him a home, and long story short, after a 500+ mile round trip, I brought him home and have never regretted it for a minute.
    That's so awesome of you to have taken him in on that short of notice!

Of our pets, only one was not from a rescue of some sort. Lucas, our RB kittie, was rescued from a home where he was being abused by multiple other cats. Trillian was found in the woods as a kitten and would have been PTS by the people who found her if we had not adopted her. Pippen, AKA big and stupid, was not a rescue, but was a kitten from a barn. Lady, our neurotic mutt, was from a shelter.

No, I've never gotten a pet from a shelter or rescue group. I still think that I "rescued" some of my animals though.
    I've been BOO'd!

All three of mine are from shelters, of course a friend of mine was fostering Casey and I got to meet her before she was ready, but we did adopt through the shelter. My horse was a rescue case, pretty much, even though I did purchase her. We are thinking of adopting another dog through a shelter too.

All three of mine are from the local shelter/pound.
    Simba "lived" in the shelter for 4 months, he was overlooked many times and probably would have been killed very soon. They already had another dog in his kennel with him while the other dogs got their own.

Kiara barked at everyone except for my dad and I.

I think Nala would be the only one who would have gotten snatched up the next day if we didn't take her. She was with her littermates and they were all playful... playful puppies go like hotcakes in shelters!

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

No, all of my dogs have been pretty much the last of a litter that nobody wanted but not from a shelter/rescue group. I plan to get my next husky from a rescue group though.

He was literally on the table to be PTS, when the the girl with him started crying.
    Thank goodness for her tears and thank you for making that long trip. I remember when you brought Spot home.

My Ripley was in a kill shelter and I was lucky enough to spy him the day after he was brought in. I filled out the first application and someone else filled one out after me so I don't think he would have been PTS but I shudder to even think about it.

Payson came from animal control, however he had been tagged by S.A.F.E. (saving animals from euthanasia). Everyday they walk through and tag animals that they feel are adoptable, if they don't get adpoted through animal control then they foster them until a home is found.

Tibby came from a no kill/no cage shelter and Corkscrew was adopted from a shelter and then went though many homes, the last home was going to take him to the humane society so I decided to adpot him.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

no, but our american bulldog is coming from a rescue organization
    Kari (me), Kiera (B&T Coonhound), Jesse (cocker), Jada (Ball Python), Derek (Betta)

Add Glitter to your Photos

~Kari~

yes!!! Batman is froma rescue group

Yes, Misty was adopted from the SPCA and Jack was a stray we took in. The rabbits (except Jack) all came from breeders and Squeekers came from a family who couldn't keep her anymore.

-Amanda-
    Owned by...
    (Betta) Neptune
    (Bunny) Chester
    (Cats) Misty and Squeekers

*Pet Portraits*

Yes! Niki and two of my cats are from the Humane Society, Bozy is from the ARPH and Buddy came from a high kill shelter. I am also fostering a Border Collie that came from a high kill shelter in Utah. Cody is the only pet that I have ever purchased and believe you me I will never do that again.

I have a few snakes I have managed to basically sneak out of a local animal shelter with the help of a friend who volunteers there, since the shelter automatically puts down any reptiles that come in, no matter how healthy, adoptable, or endangered. One of my cats was 'rescued' from life as a stray, and I rescued my other one when I saw him thrown from a moving vehicle out into traffic. My dog was thrown over my fence as a sick puppy too small to be away from his mom. But the only animals I have that are technically from a rescue are a sweet little pair of guinea pigs that came from a cavy rescue that was no-kill, so they were the only ones who didn't really need to be rescued.
    Happy is he who causes scandal--- Salvador Dali.