Thread: Interstitial Cystitis...after surgery nightmare

Interstitial Cystitis...after surgery nightmare

On November 14th (8 days ago) my Oliver went in for surgery to remove bladder stones....what they found was 'IC'...no stones. His surgery went as well as could be expected, and he's been on antibiotics and steroids since then. I've had to force feed him wet c/d food and water with a syringe because he wont eat or drink anything. My biggest problem were having is his potty issues....he wont use the litter box! Before this happened he never pottied outside the box...he still poos in it, but potties everywhere and anywhere he likes. I've gotten new boxes, new (same brand as before) litter, confined him in the bedroom with the litter box, but nothing is helping. I realize he is relating the box with his pain and I've been coping with this problem the best I can and I know it's going to take time, but I dont want him to pick up on these bad bathroom habbits! What can I do to make sure this doesnt happen?
    This is a picture of Oliver the day he came home from the vet...and he's lost so much weight from all of this...

And here he is on the toilet...he figured this one out all by himself...

Oliver looks like such a sweetheart and I am sorry he is having these bladder troubles

Interstitial cystitis is something I have been suspected of having myself - it is a painful inflammation of the bladder lining and causes ulcers to form in there, too. You might read up on the human form via the internet - lots of info you may be able to try on a feline. At one time, I went to a support group and a drug they talked about as working *miracles* on the pain (for people) is Elavil - generic is Amitriptyline. I know that this drug is sometimes used for spraying kitties. It is very inexpensive and is also available as an ear cream for pets. It might be something to ask about. I am thinking that if you can relieve Oliver's pain - that alone might get him back into his litterbox.

As far as practical suggestions - it sure sounds like you are on the right track for trying things. Since the clever boy decided to try the human toilet - how about a completely different litter than you have ever used - like feline pine, crystals, etc??

Good luck to you and to Oliver

Sorry to hear of this.

Sending good thoughts to you and Oliver, what a sweet little boy!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

Thank you for your replies!!!!! I've been hoping to hear something positive to help Oliver. I will ask about Elavil and it's generic as soon as they open back up!
    Poor Oliver is still in alot of pain and he's suffering so...he walks around and howls and squats on anything that's nearest to him. Tonight I watched him squat on the lid of the fish tank...I wasnt sure if he was really peeing on it, but sure enough there was a little urine there. He's squating about once a minute right now and just paces. I'm afraid if something doesnt help him and he feels some comfort soon, I'm going to have to have him put to sleep instead of being in constant pain the rest of his life...that just wouldnt be fair to him.
    Thank you so much, I'll let you know what they say

I'm so sorry to hear about Oliver. Hopefully you'll be able to help ease his pain. You might also want to ask your vet about Cosequin. I know it's supposed to help arthritis in cats but it can also help maintain the health of a cat's bladder. The inner lining of the bladder wall is protected by a layer which contains some of the same compounds as are found in cartilage. This layer prevents urine and waste products contained from seeping into and damaging the lining. Since the components of Cosequin are available to more than just cartilage cells, the bladder may use them to help support this protective layer. It comes in pill form and usually takes about 4-6 weeks to see any results but I think that some vets also have a liquid form that should be able to help your cat immediately. Good luck and please continue to keep us updated.

This is all wonderful information! I cant thank you enough for your help! I plan on asking my vet tomarrow about Elavil and Cosequin for Oliver. He is a little better today it seems...not so irritable with everyone...but I'm thinking it's because he finally ate something. He's refusing to eat the c/d food and was literally starving to death and losing weight by the hour, his bones actually make it hard to hold him. I mixed a little Iams urinary tract soft food with the c/d and he gobbled it right down. I hope this didnt hurt him, but I figured if he didnt eat something soon he wouldnt make it much longer. I've given him the mixture several times today and he's eaten most of it and his need to squat and urinate every minute has slowed to about every 5 minutes with a larger amount of urine output...he can be soooo stuborn and being ill on top of it has made it worse.
    Thank you again for all your help, I'll keep you posted on his situation