Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to spay?

When to spay?

I am having trouble deciding when to spay Nova. I have heard from numerous dog "experts" to wait until they go through their first heat, as estrogen is what strengthens the muscles to help with incontinence later in life. But, ever since agility class I have been worried about waiting through her first heat. You see, there was an Australian Shepherd in the class who was semi-aggressive. The man told me that she used to be just as submissive as Nova, and then once she went through heat (she wasn't IN heat, but had been through it) she completely changed. I am soooo worried that Nova's temperment will change. She is absolutely the perfect dog in my eyes and if she ever becomes aggressive just because I had her go through heat I'll be extremely upset. I'd rather put her on Proin (incontinence drops) later in life than have my baby change.

I'm just so confused! Any input would be appreciated.

I always had heard it was better to spay them before their first heat cycle b/c the incidence for uterine cancer is higher the more cycles they go thru.
    Keegan was spayed about about 4 months before she went thru her cycle.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

its much better to spay before their first heat.

every heat they go through, the more they are at chance of certain cancers.
    and yes it can and usually does change their temperment

I'd also always heard it was better to spay them prior to their first heat for the same reasons as shais_mom listed. Savannah was spayed prior to her first heat and has never had any problems. Nikka came to us spayed so I'm not sure about her.

I agree with the others. The chances of possibly getting cancer AND possibly having a total attitude change greatly outweighs the chances of possibly becoming incontinent which may happen anyways as the dog ages.

I'd get her spayed as close to 6 months as possible yet before her first heat.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I'd get her spayed as close to 6 months as possible yet before her first heat.
    She's almost 9 months now. I probably will get her spayed before her heat, I just want to see everyone's opinion on in first.

I'd do it before her first heat, but a different reason than already mentioned. I can not stand female dogs in heat (cats too). . They drive me crazy. Can't cope with it and a female in heat, even around neutered males, is a sure fire fight in my yard.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    She's almost 9 months now. I probably will get her spayed before her heat, I just want to see everyone's opinion on in first.
    Wow, most dogs that size go into their first heat about 6-9 months. I'd make up your mind fast or you may not have a choice. She could go into heat litterally any day now.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

You and she are better off spaying before the first heat. For all of the reasons above.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    Wow, most dogs that size go into their first heat about 6-9 months. I'd make up your mind fast or you may not have a choice. She could go into heat litterally any day now.
    I've never met a dog her size that went into heat this early. It was always around 12 months. All the smaller dogs seem to go into heat around 6 months.

This is a good topic to start Sarah because I had similar questions about Jamie. She just turned 10 months though. The only problem I've had with not spaying is I was afraid it was going to cost me an arm and a leg, since to have Charlie neutered it put us back $235! I mean he had both testicles retained, but that was still an insane amount of money to pay. So if they charged me that much for a MALE, I'm scared to know how much they will charge me for a female

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by .sarah
    I've never met a dog her size that went into heat this early. It was always around 12 months. All the smaller dogs seem to go into heat around 6 months.
    I know quite a few medium-large size dogs who have their fist heat at about 6-9 months. When I worked at the vets office I couldn't even begin to count how many people had medium-large dogs who had an appointment for a spay at 6 months of age & had to re-schedule because their dog went into heat. Raustyk went into heat just before 6 months of age (she was still in the shelter then).

They are just like people, some girls get their first cycle when they are 11 or 12, others not until they are 15-16. You just never know.

Jada went into heat at around 6 months. I got Ebony spayed before she came into heat she was around 6 months when we had her spayed.

Jessika, our vet only charges $85.00 to spay. You can also get coupons from the humane society here, they pay $40.00 toward the spaying. It only cost us $112.00 to have Ebony spayed, that also included her eye surgery and her shots. It looks like we are real lucky with our vets prices.

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    This is a good topic to start Sarah because I had similar questions about Jamie. She just turned 10 months though. The only problem I've had with not spaying is I was afraid it was going to cost me an arm and a leg, since to have Charlie neutered it put us back $235! I mean he had both testicles retained, but that was still an insane amount of money to pay. So if they charged me that much for a MALE, I'm scared to know how much they will charge me for a female
    Yes female dogs are more pricey but it shouldn't be that much or at least any more than that. When the testicles do not descend they could be in numerous places. Therefore it is an exploratory surgery. It takes the doctors a little longer as they have to find the testicles first. A female dog well unless deformed it's always in the same spot. lol

Besides even a thousand dollars would be cheaper & better than cemo later on in life, cheaper than a litter of puppies and certainly better than shortening your dogs life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadapit
    Jessika, our vet only charges $85.00 to spay. You can also get coupons from the humane society here, they pay $40.00 toward the spaying. It only cost us $112.00 to have Ebony spayed, that also included her eye surgery and her shots. It looks like we are real lucky with our vets prices.
    It looks that way! Maybe its just my area, but it wasn't just ONE vet that quoted outrageous prices, ALL of them in my area (and then some) did because I called a number of clinics before scheduling an appointment with one. I would kill to only have to pay about $100 to spay Jamie. That would be SUCH a relief!

EDIT: Yeah I knew it was gonna cost more because it was an exploratory surgery, but even the BASE price for a regular neuter was insane.

facebook