Thread: How often should you worm your dog??

How often should you worm your dog??

How often should you worm your dog and what is the least expensive way to do it?? Thanks

It really all depends. I wouldn't de-worm them unless you suspect something.

Interceptor prevents round, hook & whip worms so you don't need to worry about them if your dog is on interceptor. Revolution also protects against some too I think.

Tape worms are the safest type of worm. The dog has to eat an infected flea, mouse or feces to get them. And those you will usually see rice like segments around the dogs rear, possibly on the dogs bedding too in their feces.

If your dog is showing any symptoms, weight loss, diarrhea, or if you see them or if they have been around other animals that may have them I'd get a stool sample to the vets. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Nanook has had tapeworms maybe twice in his life. And all 3 were dewormed when I got them just to be sure. Kaige was still a pup so he needed to get treated. Almost every puppy is born with roundworms as roundworm larvae is tranmitted from the mother to the pup while still in the womb. Even if the mother doesn't have roundworms. A female dog is ablt to harbor roundworms in her tissue often making them immune to dewormings. Nanook & Raustyk were shelter dogs with unkown history.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

My puppie Yollie has only been wormed once.Should she be wormed more??We will be going to the visitig vet the first of next mo,but I was just wondering, thanks for so much information..

Nebo was de-wormed as a puppy. He takes heartworm preventative every month which helps prevent heartworm and some other types of worms (can't remember which). My vet is always trying to convince me he needs to be de-wormed every year but it seems kind of pointless if he shows absolutely no signs of even having worms?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    Nebo was de-wormed as a puppy. He takes heartworm preventative every month which helps prevent heartworm and some other types of worms (can't remember which). My vet is always trying to convince me he needs to be de-wormed every year but it seems kind of pointless if he shows absolutely no signs of even having worms?
    You are right, your vet is after the almighty american dollar.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by poofy
    My puppie Yollie has only been wormed once.Should she be wormed more??We will be going to the visitig vet the first of next mo,but I was just wondering, thanks for so much information..

The person you got her from should of told you if she was due for another series or not. Do you have the vet paperwork from the person you got her from?

Yes i will ck it and see what it says..didnt think of that, I did look at the shots ,but not that..thanks..

I do all mine once a year with Strongid, usually, sometimes Panacur. I only do it that often because I feed alot of wild game and fish--and my dogs are big hunters, they like to eat squirrels and mice so the odds of them getting worms are little higher. With so many of them I could never figure out who's got what from a fecal exam so I just do them all at the same time.

This year I did them all with Droncit, but that darn near broke the bank. It was over 500 bucks. Strongid and Panacur are much cheaper and my dogs think Strongid is a caramel flavored treats! Silly mutts!

When I had fewer dogs, I had fecal tests done if I suspected worms and then medicated with whatever the vet recommended.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I typically don't worm unless I suspect my pups of having worms.

Heartworm however is higher risk depending on where you live so if you live in a high-risk area I suggest giving the preventative monthly

facebook