Thread: thinking of another beta........

thinking of another beta........

I've had alot of bad luck with betas, because i get them at petco or walmart, because i want to save them. BUt my uncle sent me a christmas present which happend to bea fish aqauiriam. I decided to not rush threw and when i find a perfect beta then it will be a perfect beta. ( i belive in everything happens for a reason.) I want to save a beta but i want it to live for along time. So basically waht i am saying is there tips to help you find a fish that is healthy. Thease are some tips i already know but i need more tips!
    • The fish can't be floating (duh)
    • the fish shouldn't have parisites or ick
    • they should be flare at the other betas for a sign of being healthy
    • curious when they see you
    • but I need other tips too!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

If you're very discouraged by your pet store Bettas dying, definitely look into other venues for buying your fish ! Just about every state has at least one Betta club, so search for your local club and ask them about local auctions and meetings, or ask private breeders from the local club about buying a young Betta directly from them. A Betta from a breeder is MUCH more likely to lead a healthy, long life... you'll get the Betta when it's 3-4 months old and healthy, as opposed to a 6-12 month old Wal*Mart Betta with fin rot, parasites, and having been through strenuous shipping and living in a tiny cup for months. When you buy a Betta from a good breeder, you also know you aren't supporting how Wal*Mart and Petco neglectfully treat their Bettas.

You could also call around to local aquarium stores to ask if they have Bettas. Most fish stores don't keep their Bettas in cups dying from disease and ammonia, they NEED to have a nice presentation for fish owners so they're much more likey to keep their fish clean and healthy and buy from local breeders.

Also, make sure you check to be sure that you aren't doing anything to shorten the lifespan of your fish. How big is your tank? Anything under 5 gallons should be changed 100% every week. Is your water PH at a safe level? Do you use dechlorinator? Just make sure you have everything down

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Yep, definately look into breeders and aquarium stores. The aquarium specialties might not have the best selection, however they are healthy. My two I got from Petsmart, and I didn't really have issues with them, only one issue with my first betta that I'm still confused about, but he's okay. When I went with my brother to get him a betta, we went to about 4 different stores looking at them, and finally got one from Aquarium Creations, and he's extremely healthy and doing well, despite my fish killing ignorant mother.

If she can keep a betta, you should be able too.

I got my Betta about a year ago from Petsmart and he is very healthy and doing great. When I went I just picked one that seemed very active and had nice looking fins.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

thanks for everybody advise!
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Just my thoughts, but ...

If you feel like you're saving the betta's from the pet stores and walmart, then you feel like they shouldn't be bred, right? So quit buying from there! You're supporting them being bred by "saving" them.

I would look into a breeder or maybe a store that focuses just on fish. The aquarium stores around here have much healthier looking fish IMO.

good luck finding the right betta.

Well, it shouldn't have any weird looking things on it. This can be parasites,tumors,wounds,ect. Obviously, don't put the fish togather. Make sure it's coloring is nice and bright. Make sure the fish has been fed well.