Thread: Cats licking their noses

Cats licking their noses

I have been meaning to ask this question for some time now, and usually forget to do so. Have any of you cat "owners" noticed how a cat (and I mean most any cat) will lick their nose whenever they are plied with a question or a different circumstance? All of mine do this. It appears to be something inherent with domestic cats. It doesn't make much difference whether they are friendly or feral. Usually the situation goes like this; I'll ask them a question, or give them something different to do. They will look intently at me and then very quickly lick their nose. Has any one ever noticed this behavior with their furkids? It appears to be an acknowlegement of the situation or perhaps an acknowledgement of me.

.....wayne

I've never noticed this, Wayne, but I'll ask them something tonight and let you know the response. It'll be interesting to see if they do lick their noses.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Former User Guest
    Wayne, nothing but "meow" or sort of a squeaky noise comes out here when I asked a question....
    I guess C & K won't fall for the "most any cat" you mentioned...

The mentioned "licking their nose" happens so fast that it may go unnoticed. Or that it is so commonly done by any of them that it may go unnoticed because of its commonality. it appears that those who are more intimate with their affection are not so prone to do this with respect to those who are "part of the gang", but not yet so affectionate.

BTW, I have learned in the past week that even though a furkid may be intimate with you, that they may not be fully affectionate (to their natural ability) because of the lack of intimate affection shown them. A case in point was with Tigress. Now she gets much closer to me when she is hungry and actually allows me to hold her close to me before eating. This same affection is still present even after her meal. Also I have noticed with her that when she gets very hungry she gets weak and cannot jump with the same agility as at other times. She instead gets next to me and has me pick her up for her private feeding, as she cannot eat dry cat food with the others.

....wayne

No I haven't noticed that but I have noticed another funny cat habit. My Andy in particular does this. If he has just done something silly, like knocked something on the floor that he shouldn't have, he immediately starts this hasty obsessive grooming. It's almost as if to say, "Who me do that? No, you must be mistaken. I have much more important things to do like lick my leg!"

Originally posted by Pam
    No I haven't noticed that but I have noticed another funny cat habit. My Andy in particular does this. If he has just done something silly, like knocked something on the floor that he shouldn't have, he immediately starts this hasty obsessive grooming. It's almost as if to say, "Who me do that? No, you must be mistaken. I have much more important things to do like lick my leg!"
    That's the old "play innocent" trick. Don't fall for it. Anytime they are acting unusually innocent, it's time to start looking for something broken around the house, or a plant tipped over, or.......
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Former User Guest
    Pam, C & K do that too! And also they just fast lay down on the floor, as to say, "wasn't me, I've been laying here forever"