Thread: cronic cough

cronic cough

My 11 year old cock a poo, has been coughing lately, and in the past two days it appears to be getting worse, she coughs so hard that it sounds like a seal. Nothing comes up, no phlem, nothing. Her energy is the same as it always has been and she is eating. Does anyone have an idea, I can't get an appointment to see her vet until next week.

It could be kennel cough which needs antibiotics she really needs to see a vet, could you take her to emergency?
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Im not sure if they have an emergency, we are in a small town and they are very busy

Get to the vet as soon as possible. 3 of my dogs came down with kennel cough a few weeks ago, it was horrible. KC is basically just a cold in dogs but meds can help clear it up. Not to alarm you but the recent dog flu has the same symptoms so I would definately get it checked out. Good luck.

Sounds like something other than kennel cough

Kennel cough that severe is usually accompanied by a fever, and the dog becomes lethargic and anorexic.

More likely migrating round worms gagging the dog. Although one can not eliminate a structural problem such as collasping trachea, or even heart problems. Have the Vet do some diagnostics to limit the possibilities.

I finally was able to get Molly into see the vet. She is going back on tuesday for Xrays as the vet believes she has an enlarged heart and it is causing her to have these coughing fits. The coughing happens mostly at night, she says that as her heart is enlarged it is putting pressure on her lungs. We will find out on Tuesday what medication and we have to do to help Molly.
    I was so afraid to go to the vet, the last time I went with one of my dogs I had to have him put down a couple of days later as he had leukemia. My husband has been taking the other two to the vet for their check ups and their shots.
    The vet did advise that she felt that we can treat Molly. I don't care what it takes, just make her life comfortable.