Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: giving shots yourself???

giving shots yourself???

i saw these 7 way shots at rural king. are these shots legit? they are really cheap. cheaper then going to the vet. i'm not going to use them, but i'd just like to know if they actally work.

here's a link to the item on ruralking.com
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Yes I've heard about giving shots yourself at-home and it generally is LOADS cheaper. I've looked into it but haven't done it myself yet. I will really consider though once I get more comfortable with giving shots though

facebook

Some places it is illegal to give them youself, chances are that your local store sells them that it is legal.

And yes it is cheaper! Just make sure you do it right. I suggest having your vet show you just in case. And also remember to make a yearly appointment with your vet for an exam & other needed things like heartworm etc...
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

it is illegal here, even for Rabies shots, except with the rabies you have no prof to get the license..and its only 8 dollars to have shots done by the visiting vet,checkup are 15.So my friend is doing the shots for me, I will get rabies and cks from the visiting vet..

When I do vaccinations, I do them myself. I get the vaccines from my vet though. If I recall correctly, it's around 15 dollars a dog, instead of the 45 it would cost at the clinic.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

i used to go to the vet when i was little but as i grew up i started giving my dogs their shots by myself, only the rabies i still go to the vet so i can get a certificate that it was given. i dont know the quality of that brand, but do a research about it and maybe if you feel comfortable and get practice (not on dogs of course, maybe in oranges or something) than you can do it yourself, its WAY cheaper, but you have to know what you are giving them.
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

another question....
    if you do the shots yourself, how do you proove that the dogs are UTD on their shots?

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    another question....
    if you do the shots yourself, how do you proove that the dogs are UTD on their shots?
    Oh good question, I would like to know this, too!

facebook

You have to have permission from a veterinarian, and they will usually provide the proof. Otherwise, what these people are selling is illegal, and should you give them without permission and then take them to the vet and they see that they're not UTD, they will give them again (most likely).

so could you buy the shot, and give it to the vet to give to the dog? will they give you the proof if you did it that way?

Hmm ... I don't know. Maybe, but then I'm sure the vet will charge you a bunch for their time. LOL

The vials should have a label that can be placed on the health records you maintain. Most breeders give their own shots this way (Vets hate it because they don't get paid 4-5x what the cost is). Rescues sometime do this also. It's MUCH cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by ESS-lover
    The vials should have a label that can be placed on the health records you maintain. Most breeders give their own shots this way (Vets hate it because they don't get paid 4-5x what the cost is). Rescues sometime do this also. It's MUCH cheaper.
    I work at one of the most expensive vets in town, but just to give you guys perspective: Vaccines cost about 50 cents each, and we charge about $100 for them. It's outrageous!!

14. I cant give shots myself. it just gives me the creeps,, and i woudlnt trust myself enough to do it.

feeling the needle going through tissies just makes me want to puke.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    I cant give shots myself. it just gives me the creeps,, and i woudlnt trust myself enough to do it.

feeling the needle going through tissies just makes me want to puke.
    I hope your dog doesn't become diabetic I was the same way, actually, until Button's had to get insulin every day. And then I started working at a vet, so injections aren't unusual to me.