Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny Cavalier behavior - thoughts?

Funny Cavalier behavior - thoughts?

Odd question, I have never seen this dog behavior before and wonder if anyone has.

My 8 month old Cavalier King Charles is a total love bug. She follows me everywhere and when I lie down on the couch she immediately hops up on my chest and lays down with her throat over my face. She'll stay there for a couple minutes and then walk down to my feet and go to sleep on them.

It seems that either:
    A. She knows about the life insurance and wants to smother me
    B. The throat on my mouth is total submission
    C. She likes the warm breath and thinks my laughter is funny.

...there is no hint of anything remotely resembling a dominant or aggressive posture, she just soaks in the love. I interpret it as "OK, folks... this is my human!". She definately considers me top dog and follows me everywhere whn my daughter isn't playing with her.

Any ideas? Anyone else have a loving but suffocating pup?

Chuck

lol...that is hilarious. I wish my dog would be more snuggly , but I guess that's just not in his nature. I envy your situation!

She's pretty darn cute. Swore I would never get another dog... relented when I told the kid she could have anything she wanted if she finished third grade with high honor roll. Kiddo averaged 98, found the pup she wanted, did all the phone work... what are ya gonna do? Now if I can get the Macaw to love her we're set.

rofl, that last picture is the funniest thing i've ever seen

I love the last pic!

Cav's are companion dogs - been bred that way for centuries. If you see pups climb all over mother dog and snuggle next to her -- she's feeling your heartbeat (very reassuring and comforting to a pup). Down by your feet I'd bet she's feeling an artery pulse too...

Is that a purebred cav? I never knew they looked like that.

that is so great..what a lover..and the last picture is a treasure..love it

She's actually a Cav vrossed back to a Cocker so I guess that is genetically 2/3 cocker, 1/3 Chin.

She's about 12 pounds of pure lover though. Recently she has gone from laying on my feet under the desk all day to insisting on being in my chair with me. Usually wants to lay in my lap but just now she's gone to lying behind me in the chair. Total love sponge is the bottom line... can't imagine a better dog if what you are specifically looking for is a lap dog who is great with kids. She is gentle as a lamb and the only time she is remotely a nuisance is when she wants to be loved on and you are busy.

If you want a LAP dog then well, they are tough to beat. My friends with cavs report the same thing - total lovers.

For more laughs: http://www.carlofranco.com/beebee.htm

The top picture was when we got her: Left is when the stranger at the gas station told my daughter she cold hold his puppy, right is when she learned that it was a setup and this was her new dog.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, despit my protests the girls picked a chick dog over a proper dog like a basset or blood hound and yes, the $&%&(*# thing has me wrapped around her fluffy little paw.

No idea. I have a Cavalier they are very funny dogs that always manage to suprise you. Does any cav. owners agree with this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy (2) of Lily 2.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	24947   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of Lily 1.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	24948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lily On Christmas Day.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	331.3 KB 
ID:	24949  
    Hannah-Lily

Lily's Dogster - http://www.dogster.com/?217854

HL - 1...2...3....
    AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Is your pup a complete love sponge also? I never met a dog that did not wiggle around if you try to hold them, pick this one up and she'll literally go to sleep in your arms and be fine with it... Friends will tell you when you have food caught in your teeth, Cavs will go get it.

LOL, pathetic, that's what she is pathetic.

So I am gathering nobody else has a suffocator? I mean she literally lies with her chin/throat directly over my mouth and moves if I move. Cute, but I'm gonna need hairball remedy soon.

The only thing I can think of is it being a dominant behavior. Dogs are smart & can be very sly with their actions, making a dominant behavior seem like a playful/loving behvaior. But you say you know it's not.

My cats do that to me, and even though it seems as they are just wanting to be loved it is a dominant behavior. I don't tollerate it with them even.

Whats her name? She sure is a cutie!!!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Her name is Beebee... the kiddo's nickname is Booboo so it fit (yes, I am a nerd)

My first thought was dominance or an announcement that "This is my human!" but I don't think so. She is like the France of dogs - one look and she rolls over in complete surrender. Meanwhile she is currently snoring happily behind me in my desk chair. She's become less of a companion and more like a hairy appendage... kinda thing you suspect is secretly growing from your mother in law's butt.

Good grief she is adorable though, darn it. I swore, swore, SWORE I would never have another dog and bought a pet that would outlive me. Kid wants dog, kid pleads, kid begs, kid makes straight A's and I have a dog. I'm spineless.

Whaddaya do when they give you this look? This one is back from potty training days. The caption is: "Well dad, I didn't see who did it but I think it was mom, I saw her under the table... it wasn't me, honest!"

She is like the France of dogs - one look and she rolls over in complete surrender
    Love this thread! Such a great sense of humour - that little puppy face is pretty adorable too
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum
    Love this thread! Such a great sense of humour - that little puppy face is pretty adorable too
    I have to agree on that one!

Your last post got me cracking up. lol

Well then maybe she is just a suffocator. lol
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

CavOwner, I just love your style of writing--perhaps a blog or book in the future?