Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need breeder help...

I volunteered for GSD Rescue of NorCal at a few events, and I learned SOOO much about the breed in that short amount of time. Most of the dogs (90+%) who were turned into rescue had very unstable temperaments, super high energy and nerves, and almost all of them were in horrendous condition. Consistently, these dogs were of "American" type, with ridiculously curved backs and sloped haunches (total hock-walkers). These dogs were mostly from BYB's, but some were from very popular AKC breeders with Ch show dogs!

I think the BIGGEST red flag you need to look for is anyone who exclusively shows their GSD's in AKC conformation. German Shepherds are NOT Toy Poodles who should be bred to prance around a ring. They are working dogs, above all, and they DO need a job in their life... whether that's a constant companion, a herding dog, a Schutzhund dog, a police k-9, etc. Any breeder you look at should have at least SchH1 titles on all of their breeding dogs and routinely herd with them also. The most important requirement is all of the testing... OFA, Patellas, BAER, etc. GSD's are a very popular, large breed and therefore many of the lines have been ruined by dysplasia and other genetic diseases. You need to get at least a 2-year health guarentee, a spay/neuter contract for pets, and a breeder that is happy to give tons of advice and take back their pup at any time ~ if all of that isn't offered, the breeder is NOT worth your time or money! This is my favorite breeder EVER, of any breed ~ http://www.truehaus.com/index.htm ughhh I love them. I met Cindy and I got to meet 2 of her amazing dogs! I was actually going to get a puppy from them but instead I ended up with Gonzo by chance. Check out their comments page with pics and messages from owners of their puppies... and notice how gorgeous their dogs are! ^.^ they all have nice, sound, beautiful structure and solid compact size. They are NOT sitting on their haunches while standing, and their butt is not 3 inches from the ground because of an awkwardly sloped spine... as you might see in AKC GSD's. They are all working dogs and extensively temperament tested to have the most solid personalities and wonderful obedience you could ever ask for in any dog.

AllAmericanPup... to the contrary, a GSD from working, titled Schutzhund parents has the most reliable temperament you could find anywhere. Schutzhund dogs CANT fly off the handle or go attack whoever, they are a lot less prone to even think of biting anyone than the average neighborhood dog. Schutzhund is basically the highest level of Obedience work - where a dog will literally put his life on the line to complete a task given by his handler. An aggressive dog would never make it in any Schutzhund trial, because the dogs need to release after one word from their handler. Obviously, ANY properly bred GSD will have high drive.... they are a herding dog, and a working dog. Her parents obviously want a high drive dog, if they wanted a dog to lay around the house and not even wake up when burglars break into their house, they'd probably be looking for an English Bulldog =0). Of course, since it does not seem like they intend to work this dog, definitely getting a pet quality puppy is the best route to go. I know what you mean, but honestly, if some one looking for a GSD wants a low/no-drive dog, they should look elsewhere. Drive and the desire to please is what makes a GSD the awesome dogs that they are.

YEAH... this dog from champion Shutzhund parents really looks like he's about to rip someone's face off

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

HTH - a referral

I have had White Alsatians (White Shepherds). I love GSDs and they can be a good companion if they are socialized and exercised.

I don't know of a breeder in FL but the owner of Cowboy's Obedience School (Dog Sense) has about 6-8 of them. All the staff is involved in rescue. Kirby Hill (the owner) has CH GSDs and many of the staff have GSDs also-- call there at 301-340-8766 and either one of the trainers or he will be able to refer you to a reputable breeder or even set you up with a rescue rep in your area. You can tell them I referred you (Cowboy's Mom - Sandy).

And also ask him about obedience schools in your area (all staff there is into obedience trials and showing too).
    Last edited by ESS-lover; 11-17-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Wow that Jerland's is a huge kennel. The dogs look sound. Too much of a slope in the backline though. Do you think all the litters have four pups, except for two that had five? Weird to me. The Hunt's kennel shows how the parents are certified on the puppy page. They have certificates in Schutzhund and obedience. They have one litter planned for November, December, and January already! Wow! Thats a lot of litters for a reputable breeder. Especially since they only have three females. Honestly, I'd look at the rescues. The Tampa Bay GSD Rescue has some pups right now, and lots of young adults.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

THANKS for all the wonderful info. I will defnitely be sharing all of this with my parents. I guess it's now to the point where they might have to go outside of Florida to find a pup from a reputable and responsible breeder. I will try to keep everyone updated on the progress of my search. Thanks again so much.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Use this as a guide for filtering out the good and bad breeders:

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Fair/1901/chart.html
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Chick

Wow, that is a wonderful guide!

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Chick

I love it, I will have to have all of this info to show my parents. Talked to my Mom today and have gotten through to her about BYB's, now have to work on my Dad and this is an excellent tool.

Quote Originally Posted by bckrazy
    I volunteered for GSD Rescue of NorCal at a few events, and I learned SOOO much about the breed in that short amount of time. Most of the dogs (90+%) who were turned into rescue had very unstable temperaments, super high energy and nerves, and almost all of them were in horrendous condition. Consistently, these dogs were of "American" type, with ridiculously curved backs and sloped haunches (total hock-walkers). These dogs were mostly from BYB's, but some were from very popular AKC breeders with Ch show dogs!

I think the BIGGEST red flag you need to look for is anyone who exclusively shows their GSD's in AKC conformation. German Shepherds are NOT Toy Poodles who should be bred to prance around a ring. They are working dogs, above all, and they DO need a job in their life... whether that's a constant companion, a herding dog, a Schutzhund dog, a police k-9, etc. Any breeder you look at should have at least SchH1 titles on all of their breeding dogs and routinely herd with them also. The most important requirement is all of the testing... OFA, Patellas, BAER, etc. GSD's are a very popular, large breed and therefore many of the lines have been ruined by dysplasia and other genetic diseases. You need to get at least a 2-year health guarentee, a spay/neuter contract for pets, and a breeder that is happy to give tons of advice and take back their pup at any time ~ if all of that isn't offered, the breeder is NOT worth your time or money! This is my favorite breeder EVER, of any breed ~ http://www.truehaus.com/index.htm ughhh I love them. I met Cindy and I got to meet 2 of her amazing dogs! I was actually going to get a puppy from them but instead I ended up with Gonzo by chance. Check out their comments page with pics and messages from owners of their puppies... and notice how gorgeous their dogs are! ^.^ they all have nice, sound, beautiful structure and solid compact size. They are NOT sitting on their haunches while standing, and their butt is not 3 inches from the ground because of an awkwardly sloped spine... as you might see in AKC GSD's. They are all working dogs and extensively temperament tested to have the most solid personalities and wonderful obedience you could ever ask for in any dog.

AllAmericanPup... to the contrary, a GSD from working, titled Schutzhund parents has the most reliable temperament you could find anywhere. Schutzhund dogs CANT fly off the handle or go attack whoever, they are a lot less prone to even think of biting anyone than the average neighborhood dog. Schutzhund is basically the highest level of Obedience work - where a dog will literally put his life on the line to complete a task given by his handler. An aggressive dog would never make it in any Schutzhund trial, because the dogs need to release after one word from their handler. Obviously, ANY properly bred GSD will have high drive.... they are a herding dog, and a working dog. Her parents obviously want a high drive dog, if they wanted a dog to lay around the house and not even wake up when burglars break into their house, they'd probably be looking for an English Bulldog =0). Of course, since it does not seem like they intend to work this dog, definitely getting a pet quality puppy is the best route to go. I know what you mean, but honestly, if some one looking for a GSD wants a low/no-drive dog, they should look elsewhere. Drive and the desire to please is what makes a GSD the awesome dogs that they are.

YEAH... this dog from champion Shutzhund parents really looks like he's about to rip someone's face off

wth? WHERE did i say ANYTHING about a shutzund dog being AGRESSIVE???
    i said PERSONAL PROTECTION because that is what SHUTZUND is about.

Wow that Jerland's is a huge kennel. The dogs look sound. Too much of a slope in the backline though. Do you think all the litters have four pups, except for two that had five?
    The dogs from Jerland are Pure German shepherd meaning they come from Germany. The sloping back is the breed standard in Germany. Larry (the breeder) only goes with the German ratings. and I think the pictures of the puppies are of just certain puppies in that litter. I dont think that it is all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmericanPUP
    wth? WHERE did i say ANYTHING about a shutzund dog being AGRESSIVE???
    i said PERSONAL PROTECTION because that is what SHUTZUND is about.
    -_- sorry... I'm used to hearing people say Schutzhund dogs are vicious. I re-read your post, and you're totally right. That wasn't really directed toward you, just to anyone who thinks dogs from Schutzhund lines don't make great pets.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Ok here's a little update. I think I have gotten through to my parents about BYB's. I bombarded my Dad with info that was provided here by all of you. Thanks also to Erica and Sophie for the extras. My Dad is looking into rescue now ( ) much to my excitement. This is the route I wanted him to take from the beginning and hopefully he can find a great dog. My Mom said he was on one of the local rescue sites and filled out an application. I will be sure to keep everyone updated and hopefully he will be getting his dog in the near future. He is even looking into a GSD that is not a puppy but still young. I am excited for him and also excited to be getting a new dog in the family.

Amber

That's great news! Good thing you could get through to your parents!

Amber, that's fantastic news!!! I think that was the best route they could have taken!!! I'm so happy for you, and please do share pictures!

That's awesome, Amber! Great job helping your parents out. I hope the find the perfect dog for them.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Wow, Schutzhund training sounds SO awesome. One day when I have enough time and money on my hands I would love to train or compete in those schutzhund trials. sounds really really tough but so much fun...