Thread: Need advice please

Need advice please

Our new dog wich we rescued is a bit ruff taking snacks out of your hand. She gets all excited but grabs it real hard and fast. She doesn't chomp your hand or fingers. But it can smart. I held on to the snack and was trying to tell her easy as she took it but I guess she really wanted the dried jerkey. I held a piece in my hand and she still grabed my finger with it and it was not a small piece. Is she affraid she wont get any or the other dogs will get it or is it because she was on the roads a while and affraid the snack will disapear? I don't want to yell at her but I want her to take the food easy and leave the fingers in one piece. any advice would be appreciated.

How old is she? How long have you had her?

Perhaps she needs to be trained to perform a few small tasks, and then remain calm before she gets her treats? A "sit," "stay," and she doesn't get the treat is she budges before you say "okay," ... with the office Sheltie, we practiced just that way, sit, stay, waiiiiit, and I'll put the treat on the floor, still having him waiiit, then he gets to gobble it up when I say "okay!"

I have tried saying sit to her nothing happened so i did gentley push the rump down and she sat. I noticed when I yelled down as I walked in the house from work today as soon as I said a firm down to the two other dogs she sat so quick I thought I was seeing things. I tried it again tonight and she sat at the word down. so now I will have to treat her like a pup and teach her and show her with the other dogs. On the last snack for the night tonight I cupped the snack and would not give it to her until she gentle touched my hand with her snout she get all excited with the other two getting snacks so I have started a retraining and training program with the other two setting an example. I hope I am doing this right. Thanks

try not to go to fast. She is only a pup. With my dog (alex) I try and teach him 'touch'. He has to touch my hand with his paw before he gets anything. Then I tell him 'good' and he gets it. You know, I also play this game with my dog where i have a treat in one hand and the other is empty. Then he has to sniff out the treat before he gets it. Then he *aplys (is that spelled right?) 'touch' to the game. You could try that. And I feel weird righting this to people because I am new and I feel like i'm boasting. plz tell me if I am. There will be NO offence taken.
    Love my dog, I'll love you,
    Corner my dog, I'll corner YOU!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

An animal's eye have the power to speak a great language. - Martin Buber

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney

Sounds like you just need to make her calm down a little bit...What may help is what Karen said. I just make my dog do a trick , or sit for his treats, he will listen and calm down a little.

Make her do something as the others said, and say eeeeeasssssyyyyy..do not let her have it until she takes it gently, plain and simple. She'll quickly go from a full bite to a gentle nibble. Hold a treat in your hand with your hand closed. Offer it to her, and if she goes after it, pull back immediately. She'll try different things to get it, and when she realizes the behavior you are after she'll catch on.

Thumbs up

i wouldn't pull it back because then she will think you are playing. just tell her 'NO!!!' but not yelling...just stern.
    Love my dog, I'll love you,
    Corner my dog, I'll corner YOU!

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings

A dog is the only thing on earth that will love you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. - Mark Twain

An animal's eye have the power to speak a great language. - Martin Buber

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Bern Williams

Dogs are miracles with paws. ~Attributed to Susan Ariel Rainbow Kennedy

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. ~Phil Pastoret

If dogs could talk, it would take a lot of the fun out of owning one. ~Andy Rooney

Ok thank You I held it in my hand at three diffrent occasions tonight when she went to snap at my hand and snack I told her the firm no. I said easy she looked at me like I was crazy . I made her niff at my closed hand and she started nudging it. When she was doing what I wanted I gave her the snack and praised her. My other two dogs said we can do that also. So now I am doing it to all three dogs. they think I am playing a new game with them . Thanks no hurting fingers tonight.

This is what works with my kids.
    They both started out snapping treats out of our hands.When they try to grab it out of our hands,we pull the treat back and tell them 'GENTLE' in a stern voice.Mine caught on quickly and they know what gentle means now.Put him in a sit too.