Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Roscoe still peeing in the house!

Help! Roscoe still peeing in the house!

I think I posted about this before - we have been having problems with Roscoe peeing in the house. We never actually catch him do it, so it must be at night while we are sleeping or while we're at work. I really didn't want to put him in a crate, because he has pretty much had free run of the house. Would it be traumatic for him if I suddenly put him in a crate, or would it be better to confine him to one room? I don't know what to do!

I think if you introduce the crate properly you shouldn't have a problem. Start off slow & ALWAYS make sure the crate is a happy fun place for him to be.

Start off by not locking him in the crate (unless you see that he loves it right off the bat, like he was crated before?).
    Start off by just letting him walk in & out. Feed him in the crate etc... After a few days (or once he gets more used to it) start locking him in there for a few minutes at a time, multiple times a day. Eventually work your way up to a few hours. Once he is in the crate for 1-3 hours and remains calm then it is safe to say that leaving him in there all night & while you work is ok to do.

When you do find the accidents in the house is it all on the floor? Or is it on the wall or something like he lifted his leg? If he's not lifting his leg I'd get his urine checked for a UTI or the like first. It may be a medical issue not behavioral. Chances are if he's lifting his leg it is not medical, not always but most likely. Does he usually go in the same place or all over the house? What are you using to clean it up with?

Good luck!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I think if you introduce the crate properly you shouldn't have a problem. Start off slow & ALWAYS make sure the crate is a happy fun place for him to be.

Start off by not locking him in the crate (unless you see that he loves it right off the bat, like he was crated before?).
    Start off by just letting him walk in & out. Feed him in the crate etc... After a few days (or once he gets more used to it) start locking him in there for a few minutes at a time, multiple times a day. Eventually work your way up to a few hours. Once he is in the crate for 1-3 hours and remains calm then it is safe to say that leaving him in there all night & while you work is ok to do.

When you do find the accidents in the house is it all on the floor? Or is it on the wall or something like he lifted his leg? If he's not lifting his leg I'd get his urine checked for a UTI or the like first. It may be a medical issue not behavioral. Chances are if he's lifting his leg it is not medical, not always but most likely. Does he usually go in the same place or all over the house? What are you using to clean it up with?

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice! I don't know if he was crate trained before, he was 3 1/2 when we adopted him. I've been wondering if this is why his last owner gave him up He does lift his leg, but I took him to the vet anyway a few weeks ago to make sure it wasn't a medical problem. I use Fresch & Clean: http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1131985200498
    to clean it up, it works pretty well. Thanks for the help - I've never crate trained a dog before (especially one that's 4! )

I've never seen that product before. It doesn't say if it neutralizes the pet odors or not it just says it gets rid of them so I don't know how great of a product it really is. Maybe someone else may know?

Does he seem to pee where he may sleep? If so he may just have a week bladder. There are drugs to help with that. Phenylapropanolymene (sp?) is one that works great.

But it may just simply be a housebreaking issue. I'd try crating him first though.

have you tried limiting his water intake?
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Is there a better product? It seems to work, but maybe it's not neutralizing the odors well enough.

He usually sleeps upstairs in our bedroom, but the pee is always downstairs. We have a living room, family room, kitchen, and small 'bonus room' downstairs. He has peed in every room down there, although the living room and kitchen only once each. The bonus room and family room are his favorites. He lifts his leg to the couch in the family room the most.

I don't limit his water intake - I thought about that but have no idea how to do it. I usually try to keep it pretty full. How would I go about limiting it?

You need to try and figure out why he is going potty in the house? Is he bored, does he really need to go outside (does he have access when you are gone), is he just going to go? Does he go in the same place each time, could he be marking his territory?

I am all for crate traning but I would try just giving him access to one room to start. If he continues to potty in the house then I would go with the crate training. Giving him access to only one room might also help you figure out why he is going in the house. Have you changed anything in the house? Laundry soap, carpet cleaner, new furnature, anything that might be new?

This is trainable but you have to know what causes it before you can stop it.
    Good luck,
    Gina

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

Quote Originally Posted by ginagt
    You need to try and figure out why he is going potty in the house? Is he bored, does he really need to go outside (does he have access when you are gone), is he just going to go? Does he go in the same place each time, could he be marking his territory?

I am all for crate traning but I would try just giving him access to one room to start. If he continues to potty in the house then I would go with the crate training. Giving him access to only one room might also help you figure out why he is going in the house. Have you changed anything in the house? Laundry soap, carpet cleaner, new furnature, anything that might be new?

This is trainable but you have to know what causes it before you can stop it.
    Good luck,
    Gina

Sometimes he goes in the same general area, but not always. Nothing new to him (well, we've only had him for 5 1/2 months, so I guess in a sense the whole house is new ). He doesn't have access to the outside when we are gone, but he mostly pees during the night when we are asleep. This morning, I let him out at around 6:30, and when my husband left for work at 7:30 he found pee. It was not there when I let him out because I would've walked right through it. I don't know if he was ever crate trained before, which is why I'm a little nervous to start now.

I have another thread going in Dog General too about doggy diapers, which someone at work recommended to me. So, I guess I have three options (diapers/wrap, crate, or contained to one room) and not quite sure what to do. I will NEVER give him up, that is not an option.

Since he's lifting his leg than it is probably a behavioral problem. Sounds like he's marking his territory. Which is a dominance issue.
    Have you ever enrolled him into obedience classes?

I agree with Gina. I would close him off in one room. That in itself might help, or it may at least help you catch him the act and maybe getting a better idea on what causes him to go.

You want to look for a product that neutralizes ordors. Natures Miracle is awesome!

He is currently in a basic obedience class. Actually, the peeing in the house has gotten better, but not good enough yet. I talked to my trainer and she recommended a crate. Just checking to see what all options I have

Do you think I should keep him in another room at night, or close him in our bedroom? Also, this may be a stupid question, but would it be better to put him in a spare bedroom or buy a gate and keep him in the kitchen? The only thing that makes me nervous about the bedroom is we have a Bowflex in there and I don't want him messing with it. I could probably put a gate up in the living room too.

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    Sometimes he goes in the same general area, but not always. Nothing new to him (well, we've only had him for 5 1/2 months, so I guess in a sense the whole house is new ). He doesn't have access to the outside when we are gone, but he mostly pees during the night when we are asleep. This morning, I let him out at around 6:30, and when my husband left for work at 7:30 he found pee. It was not there when I let him out because I would've walked right through it. I don't know if he was ever crate trained before, which is why I'm a little nervous to start now.

Do you go out with him or do you just let him out?

I'd start potty training all over, just like he's an 8 week old puppy. Limit his water (take it up about 1-2 hours before bedtime and anytime you leave him alone for more than a few hours). ALWAYS go outside with him & keep him on a lead. Tell him to "potty" or whatever command you want to use. Ignore him until he goes potty. Once he goes potty praise, priase, praise! Once he goes potty you can let him off lead if thats what he's used to. Let him out about hour or so during the day when ever you can. Let him out very first thing in the morning & right before you go to bed.

Clean the areas that he has peed on with natures miracle or another pet odor neutralizer REALLY well.
    If he has a favorite area in the house where he pees you can try putting his food there, or his bed. Any important possesion of his, he shouldn't eliminate where he eats, drinks, sleeps etc..

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR
    He is currently in a basic obedience class. Actually, the peeing in the house has gotten better, but not good enough yet. I talked to my trainer and she recommended a crate. Just checking to see what all options I have

Do you think I should keep him in another room at night, or close him in our bedroom? Also, this may be a stupid question, but would it be better to put him in a spare bedroom or buy a gate and keep him in the kitchen? The only thing that makes me nervous about the bedroom is we have a Bowflex in there and I don't want him messing with it. I could probably put a gate up in the living room too.

Well you don't want to put him in a room where he is known to have accidents. But then again you don't want to keep him in a room with valued possesions that he can ruin either.

I would say your bedroom. That way you can hear him move around at night. It will be easier for him to let you know that he has to go out and It will also be easier for you to detect that he has to go outside when he's in the same room as you as it would be if he were further away from you.
    Can you maybe move the bowflex to another room? Or maybe block it off? Do you have a bathroom that adjoins your room?

Is this a new thing or has he been doing it since you brought him home?
    Diapers I think would only put a band aid on the real issue, which is what you are trying to figure out.

For now I would close him off in the kitchen it will be the easiest to clean up after him. Remember not to punish for peeing in house unless you catch him in the act. If you do catch him in the act say NO and take him outside right away. If he finishes outside lots of praise.

Crate training is going to take some time, that is why I suggested giving access to only one room while you train the crate. It will probably take a few weeks before you can leave him in the crate all day while you are gone or at night.

I can help you with crate training steps or you can do a search online.
    Good luck.
    Gina

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

Thank you so much for the great ideas! I wrote everything down and will stop at Petsmart on the way home for some nature's miracle. I think I'll keep him in our bedroom at night, and either there or the kitchen when we are gone and see how that works. I've never house trained a dog before, so I really didn't know how to handle this. Thank you SO much!

Quote Originally Posted by ginagt
    Is this a new thing or has he been doing it since you brought him home? Gina

It's fairly new, when we first brought him home he never went in the house. I asked the trainer about that, and she said probably because he was unsure of his surroundings at first, but then as he became more comfortable he decided it was ok. That's one of the reasons I think he's marking. We've never actually caught him peeing, when we are home (and awake) he jumps around a whines until we let him out. Usually we just open the door and let him out, but lately I have been putting his leash on before we leave to go anywhere and walk him up the street and back so he can mark (usually he marks all over outside, he is such a dominant male!). Maybe I'll start doing that before we go to bed too.

Gina, if I have any questions about crate training while I'm training him in it, do you have a problem if I pm you? Thank you guys so much for your help!