Thread: Looking for the breed

Looking for the breed

I'm slowly starting to research dog breeds and I think I need some PT help. I'm probably not going to go to rescue, however if I do I still want some breeds in mind.

Well first you should know about my living situation:
    I live in a condo, we don't have a backyard however we are located on a park and I would be willing to pay for a dog walker during the day. The dog walker I have my eyes on right now is very nice and reputable. The dogs are gone out for about three hours each day.
    We don't want a dog that needs to be exercised excessivly but excersize isn't a HUGE problem. Since our neighbours are connected to us we need a dog that is not going to bark excessivly. I have the time and commitment to do training classes however I want a dog that is pretty obedient by nature. Oh yes, and I would love to have a dog that is good offleash. I've heard that some site hounds can not go off leash easily.

I want a medium-large dog. Does anyone have any experience with St bernards, bernese mountain dogs or newfies? I've had my eye on those dogs too but I'm not sure if they're suitable

I love field dogs, retrievers, setters etc. I *love* the english setter but I am completley crushed that it barks a lot and commonly has seperation anxiety. I am not too fond of golden retrievers or labs though.

Oh and it needs to live with my roomates golden retriever.

I'm getting discouraged. Have you ever seen a dog and looked at it and NEW that you loved it. Well I've been doing that a lot lately but the dogs I *love* never seem to turn out to be a suitable dog for me. The most suitable dog I've come across so far is the Cavalier. However they don't jump out at me, they are cute, and pretty but aren't anything special.

I know that every dog differs however I know that there are some breeds that fit my lifestyle more than others. So please give some suggestions, pictures would also be appreciated but not neccesary.

Have you considered a greyhound? Despite their reputation as very high energy dogs, they actually make great apartment dogs. Their exercise needs are much lower than people think. They love a good run, but they are also couch potatoes! I don't have a clue what they are like off leash, but there are grey owners on here who could probably tell you more.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

From what you are looking for I see that you don't mind a large shaggy dog. With a dog walker they will get the exercise and socialization, but you would have to do a lot of training also. You seem to want a playful dog. I was going to recommend a chow, but a chow won't play much. A St. Bernard, bernese, or newfie are good for the qualities you are looking for. Have you looked at the briard, bouvier, or otterhound? It sounds like you want a serious working breed that will take to a daily routine. The dog walker sounds great, but you will also need to provide some exercise. Also with some larger breeds, though they are meant to work for hours, will not like three consecutive hours of midday walking or playing when the weather is hot.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

[QUOTE=.powerful]I love field dogs, retrievers, setters etc. I *love* the english setter but I am completley crushed that it barks a lot and commonly has seperation anxiety. [QUOTE]
    I have a english setter purebred and have had them all my life, every single english setter we have had no barking problems, thay actually never barked, only to warn you of something. They do have anixiety probelms but if you keep on going aww or something it will make it worse. you can see my english setter in my sig.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Hmm...what about a standard poodle? They are very active, are fairly quiet, and great all around dogs, as long as you can keep up with grooming. Greyhounds sound good too. Or perhaps a Samoyed, or Keeshond?

In general, Newfies are great. They are large and enjoy being out and about. St. Bernards are good, but they can be a little high strung and nervous. I have met good and bad Bernese Mt. Dogs, a lot that have problems with strangers. Do you have enough room for dogs that large? Be prepared for drool and hair. Good luck with whatever you choose.

While a greyhound is a good choice many rescues will not adopt one to a home without a fenced yard or who is not home regularly during the day.

I am a Newfie owner and they are a wonderful breed. I don't live in a huge dwelling and provide her with plenty of exercise. I am also an obedience instructor which plays a lot into her activities. They are very even tempered and such loves BUT when you get a dog of immaculate size, you need to consider several things:
    1) Larger dog = more food. I have a Lab and a Newfie and my Newf eats double what my Lab does per day.
    2) Grooming can be expensive. I brush her every day or every other day to prevent matting. She is also professionally groomed every 6 weeks, costing around $60 each time. If you don't take good care of their coats, I have seen people with $100 grooming bills.
    3) Going to a reputable breeder is imperative. Newfs and other XL breed dogs can suffer from various issues - patella luxation, hip dysplasia, etc. Even going to a reputable breeder does not necessarily deplete the problem.

Basing a dog breed on ability to go off leash is not always the smartest move. Some dogs develop that capability, some never will. Having trained many German Shepherds, I have seen an incredible number that are not able to be off-lead regardless of training. Some dogs will not, in the long run, fit the generalized breed temperament.

Exercising a dog is imperative especially without a fenced yard. Regardless of the breed, I would consider activities like agility or tracking to keep your dog happy. Dogs who are bored can be destructive regardless of the breed.

Some breeds you may want to consider:
    ENGLISH Cocker Spaniel (not the American)
    Australian Shepherd
    Flat-Coated Retriever
    Setter family
    Collie
    Sheltie

No matter what you choose, look into the hidden costs you will need to consume and decide whether or not you can afford the breed generally speaking.

Maybe an ESS???

English Springer Spaniels come in two categories Bench and Field - field are definate hunters and the bench have had some of that bred out for conformity's sake.

They are medium sized, usually calm indoors, loving and people oriented - absolutely lousy guard dogs (might lick an intruder to death but that's about it). They are eager to please so very trainable (important in an apartment/condo), friendly to people if well socialized, and do well romping for an hour or two a day (I take mine to the dog park where he can run and play off leash for about an hour a day).

Cowboy and I have just completed level 2 of obedience - he has done very well and knows all the basic commands. ESS do not do well on their own (love to be with their people) - but do crate well (suggested until at least 2 yo) and the love and wiggles when they come out even after 10 minutes is incredible.

BTW, I am in an apartment with one and it is a good match.

I have 2 Smooth Collies and wouldn't recommend them for your situation. They are incredible dogs. So very trainable, friendly, playful, reliable in the house, good off leash, do not need excessive exercise. They're just about perfect in every way. Except barking wise. With training, they're not really excessive barkers, but the decibal level is unbelievably loud and it can be high pitched. I would think in a Condo setting, that could be very annoying to your neighbors.

I actually would recommend the Cavalier. Not sure what influenced your "not special" observation, but there have been several in Oz's agility class that I've fallen in love with. They've all been so friendly and well behaved. Very trainable. Not barkers at all, that I noticed. Good off leash, playful and very devoted and loving to their handlers. They seem as happy to be lap dogs as they are agility dogs. Great all around dog. They're definitely on my small dog list to get someday.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I thought I had some comment to this post, it disappeared.

so did mine

Quote Originally Posted by senorita02
    so did mine
    My guess is the webmaster upload the backup database from yesterday. Anything posted after would be lost-just a guess

You all probably posted in the Dog General thread. There are to threads
    going on the same subject.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=92792
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Glacier mentioned greyhounds as a suitable dog for an apartment, and wondered how they were off leash. I've got a greyhound mix- she is great off leash- until she sees a bunny rabbit!
    It seems like you prefer big dogs, but have you considered a smaller one, like maybe a basset hound? They are not high energy dogs, and tend to make good apartment pets as they are pretty happy laying around all day! Good luck with your search!

English Springer Spaniels come in two categories Bench and Field - field are definate hunters and the bench have had some of that bred out for conformity's sake.
    They are medium sized, usually calm indoors, loving and people oriented - absolutely lousy guard dogs (might lick an intruder to death but that's about it). They are eager to please so very trainable (important in an apartment/condo), friendly to people if well socialized, and do well romping for an hour or two a day (I take mine to the dog park where he can run and play off leash for about an hour a day).

Cowboy and I have just completed level 2 of obedience - he has done very well and knows all the basic commands. ESS do not do well on their own (love to be with their people) - but do crate well (suggested until at least 2 yo) and the love and wiggles when they come out even after 10 minutes is incredible.

BTW, I am in an apartment with one and it is a good match.
    Wow, another ESS lover! I agree with a springer, they are generally well crate trained (atleast Jesse is), only, with the goldie, that might be a problem unless you get it as a puppy, and it is VERY WELL SOCIALIZED! Jesse was not socialized, so she suffers from fright of men and other dogs that are bigger than her, she also is very dominating. Definetely make sure that the puppy is well socialized.

I would also suggest a Brittany, Sheltie, Collie family, Aussie, ?Great Dane?, or a Greyhound!

Good luck!-
    Steph and the gang

From everything I've read and heard while researching the greyhound, they cannot be let off lead. At all. Ever. They will chase anything, including a gum wrapper blowing in the wind, and they usually won't have a reliable recall. To run and chase is hard-wired into their brain, as are various traits for other breeds. Otherwise, a greyhound would make an awesome pet. Clean, short haired and don't shed much, require little exercise copmpared to what most people think they need, and are couch potatoes!