Thread: Hamster Questions?

Hamster Questions?

Ok, I have been thinking about this and I kinda want a hamster for chirstmas. That or a kitten. Anyways. I would like as much info as possible and things that i should know. So any info is GREATLy appreciated!
    Sara[human] Maggie[lab/gsd]Autumn[chow/x] Boo Boo[mutt] Mittens[domestic long hair] CP[Domestic short hair] Cisco [Quarter Horse] Austin[Quarter Horse/Paint] and the ducks...

Well, what specifically would you like to know??

facebook

Anything like:
    How big they can get
    Best breed for beginner
    How old they get
    What exactly do they eat

We had some in our Science class and I did a lot with them, gave 'em soem attn. and stuff but I would like to know more before I commit to them...
    Sara[human] Maggie[lab/gsd]Autumn[chow/x] Boo Boo[mutt] Mittens[domestic long hair] CP[Domestic short hair] Cisco [Quarter Horse] Austin[Quarter Horse/Paint] and the ducks...

How big they can get: Depends on the breed, 4 inches or so? not really sure.
    Best breed for beginner: Dwarf or Syrian
    How old they get: their average life span is 3 years
    What exactly do they eat: hamster food and fresh vegetables daily, occasional treats

This is a *wonderful* website I used to frequently visit when I first got my hamster.
    http://www.hamsterhideout.com

They also have forums. I posted there a few times but haven't in about a year ... that was when I got my hamster.
    http://www.hamsterhideout.com/forum

I have had 9 hamsters over a course of 8 years...you have to keep the room warm in the winter and room temp in the summer...which can be difficult, but if you don't have a heater you can put a heating pad under their cage or a lamp, as long as they are warm

How big they can get: A couple inches, depnding on what breed

Best breed for beginner: if you think you can handle a dwarf hamster, go with one, but they are quick, and have mood swings, teddy bear hamsters are
    best for beginners, hold them about 2 days after you get it so it becomes used to the cage and you don't scare it to death when you go to get it

How old they get: My last hamster that died last month was 4. 4 is about the maximum age, but i had one that lived to 6 under extremely good care, plenty of excersise, being held, sleep, fresh food and water and weekly cage cleanings, but it was VERY difficult, normal hamster life span, 2-3 years

What exactly do they eat: lettuce, but it is tasteless to them, don't let anyone tell you it can kill them because it can not kill them, it has vitamins in it. Rabbit food pellets, sunflower seeds, you can but bags of mixed food for them and such, there are yogie drops(which taste good), wafers, and a stick that goes on the side of the cage it is a compact of food all mushed together with honey...they tend to like those, cheese, they need vitamins, and you can get that for them

vet care: go to an exotic animal vet because normal vets don't normally treat hamsters, but they don't normally need a vet, you can get them wet tail medications. Wet tail is deadly, so when you get the drops, put it in their water every time you change it and they should be fine

obediance: you CAN train hamsters. my hamster would go around the room and not run away, recomend a clicker for that, so when they are supposed to go back in the cage you click it to return...i taught my hamster to walk on a leash, she could go in a little litter box i made her out of an old ring holder so i could clean her cage easier, but that took about 9-10 week ends....

cages and other things to know...: Never put a male or a female in the same cage unless you are planning on breeding them, females will get territorial and kill or fight with other females, same with males, but some are different and you can put two of the same gender in the same cage. Change the bedding 1 time a week and food when the bowl is empty and i reccomend give them water daily.Hold them after 2 days of them being in the cage (48 hours), hold them regularly, big cages are good, tubes and tunnels are great things for hamsters and they enjoy them. Wire cages, no aquariams, that;s ot good for them. If you do keep them in an aquariam you should put a piece of wood from a pet store in it because with the bars they can chew down and keep their teeth short. If their teeth overgrow it is either because they have nothing to chew on or they are in an aquarium. Even though the biting on the wires is annoying, it is perfectly healthy. They tend to store their food in their mouth for a night time snack. Balls to run in or wheels are a good source of excersise. Hamsters are nocturnal, they only sleep in the morning.

Any other questions?
    Owned by Titus, Bob, Alice, Trixie, Honey, Chesterfield, Al, Oreo, Dave, Ed, and Tyr!
    In two short months I will have my dream horse, Cesar!

The best species for beginners is the syrian hamster(aka teddy bears). They can reach up to 8 inches long, but average is 6-7. Syrian Hamsters are solitary and must live alone.
    Males in general are calmer, but you will get the occasional female that is mellow too. Females go into heat every 4 days and have a bit of any odor.
    Food to feed is hamster food. The best food you can get on the pet market is called Hazel hamster. Most others contain loads of preservatives and random junk that is not needed.

Hamsters need large cages with lots of room to play (I reccomend aquariums or modified storage bins). Those commercial cages with all the pretty colours really are a waste of money. They fall apart, are to small, providing the hamster no room to play, and are just plain exspensive. They need a solid running wheel that is big enough for when they are fully grown.
    As for bedding, pine and cedar are toxic. I would recomend Carefresh, KAYTEE Soft Sorbent, or Aspen shavings.
    Average like span is about 1.5-3 years.

Oh... and lettuce (iceburg is very bad and can cause liver failure. Other lettuces, like romaine need to be fed in moderation)

In general, hamsters make great pets and are very easy to care for.

I will reccomend you check out these links:
    http://www.petwebsite.com/hamsters.asp
    http://www.geocities.com/calhamassoc/Newsletter.html
    Winterbell Hamstery
    Breeding quality Syrian hamsters in Virginia
    http://wwwfreewebs.com/jynxedhamstery

Make sure you absolutely want a hamster. Not all of them are friendly, most of them will bite you at one time or another, they are nocturnal, and particularly moody when you wake them up. I used to have hamsters, and now I much prefer mice, or rats. You can find a good hamster, but if at all possible go and talk to a smaller pet store where they might know the personality of the hamsters. Petsmart and Petco have fairly good quality hamsters, and are healthy too, but the employees don't really pay attention to how they are.

Ask the petstore what brand of food they feed. Try and get the same kind, and if you have your mind set on a particular brand, mix it so they don't get wettail. Wettail is a digestive thing with diarrhea, and they can die from it. If you see ANY of the hamsters on display with a wet looking bottom, run the other way. A good pet store will take the hamster out of there and treat it.

Oh, and if you don't want babies and you choose to get a female, make sure the petstore seperates the males and females.

Gerbils are less likely to bite than hamsters and are a little friendlier when it comes to temperment. The only downfall is they are FAST little suckers!!

facebook

I got my hamster Foxy last Christmas so i bet that you're really excited about getting a new pet!!! She is a syrian hamster, but previously i always kept roborovski hamsters. Even though robbys are the sweetest little things you have ever seen, growing to a maximum of 5cm, syrians are easier to handle and escape less easily! Syrians usually grow beteen 8 and 14cm long. I also believe that they are easier to tame and are more tolerant of handling by young children. I would recommend reading an informative book before you look for a hamster or find someone who is experienced in keeping them. So, you had hamsters in your science class? I've heard that it's quite common for schools in the states to have class pets but it seems to be virtually non-existant over here in england Still, good luck in the future with your hamster (or kitten!!!)

Zimbabwe 07/13

Ok, that answers like ALL of my questions i think...

I handeled the hamsters in our science room all the time. They were really cute and I would take them out when I went to class, I would get in trouble for it but i was like, they need attn. too! lol. Sometimes I would just carry one around school all morning. Scare the principal and stuff. It was awsome lol.

I hope I can get one!

well, Snick and Caramel were class pets...i was the class prez and i asked my teacher if we could have a vote to have a class pet. We wrote down all the problems we might have like allergies to ferrets and phobias to rabbits and i took the list hime and i read through it, glanced over at my skittish hamsters, and smiled. I called my teacher and my classmates becasue they have all met Snick and Caramel before, and My teacher ok'd it and so did all the kids and then i cleaned their cage, gave them baths, and the next day they were in school. Every weekend the other kids would have a chance to take Snickers home, and my teacher took Caramel home becasue her daughter was in love with her...and when my teacher told me her daughter like her*Merry Christmas* and then we had snickers as class pet. But before she came to class she was skittish and when i moved into 7th grade she was calm and loved to be held...it was really cool. Unfortunatley she died last month but she was 4! That was awesonme too...i mean i loved having her and Caramel, but when Caramel died last year snick was only 3! I had them 2 years before they became class pet! Oh...and one day Snickers was put in her ball during the daily edit like everyday. I was absent and snick needed a new ball because the lid was broken. So the sub let the kids put her in, i had a new ball for her but i had to be absent and she got out of the ball and about 2 weeks later the Janitor found her right outside the classroom scratching the door like a dog to get inside! He put her in the cage...it was pretty cool!
    Owned by Titus, Bob, Alice, Trixie, Honey, Chesterfield, Al, Oreo, Dave, Ed, and Tyr!
    In two short months I will have my dream horse, Cesar!

aw thats cute