Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever had a name chosen before they had the pet?

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Has anyone ever had a name chosen before they had the pet?

Well, the reason I'm asking is because I basically had Finn's name chosen before I even met him. I know, for the most part, I've always chosen pet names after I've had the pet for awhile. I think it took my ex and I a week or two to name our cat, Lock. But, with Finn, we'd actually been thinking of getting something more exotic, like a Pharoah Hound, and, I thought Phinneas was a good name. But, then, I met Finn, and, fell head over heels. But, immediately upon holding him in my arms, I knew that he was a Finn. And, I helped my roommate back in Washington (over ten years ago, now, WOW, I just thought of that!!) name his Siberian Husky before he arrived. He was in New York and had to be flown to Rick, and, we were trying to think of Russian names, and, settled on Nikolai. Anyway...I've been thinking a lot lately of when I'll be in a position to get another dog. And, the other night a name popped up, and, I think it's going to be the one I choose, as long as it's fits the dog, of course. Hopefully, this will all happen within the next six months...anyway...long story short, I just wondered if anyone else had ever had a name chosen. I know people do it all the time with human babies. Ok, going back to bed, now.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Definitely!
    Mark had picked out the name BON when we were thinking of getting another dog after Angus went to the bridge. Luckily I found the "Bon" we were looking for
    Many may not know, but Angus was named after Angus Young of AC/DC, so of course we had to stay with the memebers of the band. So Bon is named after Bon Scott

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Yes, I picked out the name Sassy for a dog because I have always wanted a Maltese. When I finally got her, I just named her Sassy. It's so cute because it fits her personality. And she already knew her nmae after 2 hours after she had it.

I had the name Lacey picked out for years before I got Lacey. When I got her, it didn't seem to fit her, but I went with it anyway. She quickly seemed to grow into the name! Mandy and Sassy were picked right after we got them, and Missy was already named so I kept her name. btw, I already have a name for my next pup, but I'll never tell.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

None as an adult. I'm a firm believer in meeting them first and then naming them based on their personality. It usually takes me a while to name them (though Pouncer came with the name and it couldn't have fit him better )

As a child, every cat we had in succession was Tiny. The original Tiny came around our house before I was born. Tiny II slept in my crib with me and he was such a gentleman with a little girl who loved to love him (that would be me ) Then came Tiny III when I was 10. No more Tiny's though maybe someday if I get a moo cow kitty I'll name him Tiny IV. But only if the name fit

Before we got Jack I really wanted to pick out the name, the rest of the dogs I didn't name and I really really wanted to name him...well I picked out a few names and my family didn't like any of them, my mom had her heart set on Blackjack, I was talking to my Aunt online and she didn't like the names I picked out either but suggested Jumpin Jack Splash, I had a week to think about names before he came home and the moment I saw him again I knew his name would be Jack...long story short, I guess we did sorta name him before he came home. I already have a name picked out for my next male dog...

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

I have said in the past, "The next cat I get I will name........" Then get the cat and it didn't fit so now I just wait and meet the new baby and see what fits.

The ONE time I had a name picked out backfired on me.. My then, husband was getting be a black persian kitten for my birthday, a female so I wanted something femine and pretty... Lace or Lacy wasn't feeling right with me so I thought and thought and thought about frilly Ruffles and decided on Ruffles for her, so Ruffles she was. The name was PURFECT for her but not because of it being femine and pretty... It was because she had her feathers ruffled so easy and would get upset over the simpliest things. (Hope you have heard that old saying "Don't get your feathers so ruffled!... meaning not to get so upset)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I didnt have any names picked out before we adopted my two. Kodie was named Bronco but we didnt like that at all..lol.We thought of Bo,boreguard(spll?) and a few other names,but i picked Kodie and thats what we went with.I also picked Lucys name,my mom added the Lou part..so LucyLou.

My husband wanted a cat. I said (after much debate) only if it was a female...eithr gray and white or calico...and named Edwina. While we lookd for the right cat he would "talk" to her. "Come here Edwina...you can get up here..."

Then one day at the shelter we found her....and the name suits her perfectly!

Oh, my mom did try to name Jasper before we got him. I told her that we were getting her a white female kitten for mothers day and she started thinking of names right away. She chose the name Paris before we even met "her" and after the cat came home she felt the name fit so Paris it was! After a trip to the vet we found out Paris was a boy so she had to start thinking of a different name and Jasper he became!

Ashley & Crossbone ("mini ACD")
    Living with my parent's: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTS)
    RIP Kyra: 07/11/04 - 11/3/12; Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    Anyway...I've been thinking a lot lately of when I'll be in a position to get another dog. And, the other night a name popped up, and, I think it's going to be the one I choose, as long as it's fits the dog, of course. Hopefully, this will all happen within the next six months...
    How exciting Kari! Finn would love a brother or sister!

No, we decided on names after they all came home (except for Cocoa, who came with her name).

But I have a long list of names I love, and I've kind of picked out a name for my future cat. ^_^ But I might decide on a totally different name once I get him! Who knows.

1 girl, 1 pup, 2 guinea piggies, 1 bunny & 1 turtle!

I guess because I got a specific breed with my 4, it was easier to pick a name beforehand. Some names just won't work. For example, I love the name, "AppleSauce" for a female Golden, but it wouldn't work at all for a Blue Merle Collie. So when I switched from getting a Golden to another Collie, "AppleSauce" changed to "Gulliver". I still got "AppleSauce" on my list, if I ever get a Golden one day.

The only time I had to change the original name I picked was for Maddie. I was going to name her McMuffin, to go with McMurphy, my male Cairn. After spending a short time with her, I knew it wasn't going to fit her. She was too regal for that name. A real Uptown Girl. So she became a Madison instead.

If I ever get another female Cairn or even a female Collie, I'm naming her "My Girl Friday". I love that, then I can call her "Fry" for short. I think it'll go with either breed too.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfie
    How exciting Kari! Finn would love a brother or sister!

I know, it'll be awhile, though, maybe even another year. But, you know I'll be posting like mad if I decide to start looking for another dog. And, the name I'm thinking of would be for a girl dog...I mean I've always had a few names that I liked...but, this one just popped into my head the other day, and, as long as it fits the girl dog (if I even get a girl dog!), it'll be the name I use, for sure. Some of the names I've always loved, though, and, there's a new person in here with an Akita that has one of them...Zero. I love that name, it's from The Nightmare Before Christmas! And, I love Bucket, I think that'd be a great name for a big ol' goofy lab boy, if I ever got Finn a brother. As in Charlie Bucket, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Sadie and Maggie got their names after we had them and Grant came with his name. I do however have a few names already lined up in the event we ever get another dog. It would be another female. I have a few names and one of them would be sure to fit her.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

I know this thread is mainly directed towards cat's and dogs but I came up with Riley's name a few weeks before I got him. I chose Rocky's name when we saw him. I have a few female names in mind for the dog I am hoping to get in the near future. I think it's hard to come up with names without seeing the animal first though.