Thread: Pet stores:(

Pet stores:(

Today I went to take a look in a petstore it really upset me when I see like 25 betta fish is tiny little cups the lady that worked there said''we only have boy fish''.I knew because the boys have the ''nicer finns and they are prettier'' but i dont think so i dont think they should even sell them !
    And I went to the back and i see little puppies lying down all dirty and there eyes looked so sad i cant beleive how they treat their animals!!!!I really HATE puppy mills!!!!!!All the animals I saw looked sad and unhappy

You know you can call your local humane society if the animals aren't being taken care of, right?

I hope something changes there soon.

I know some pet stores have no right to ever be called pet stores more like animal abuse centers

yes but sadly having bettas in those cups isnt considered cruel
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I thought about applying at our local Petstore. I can't remember what it's called but it is a chain. Anyway, they sell puppies and their cages are always FILTHY and you'll see the employees just standing around chatting. I'm like, "Woman! You have cages to clean!" I said something one time and they're like "it can wait, it falls through the floor so they're ok." Alright, number one, it's NOT ok. Number two, not that I approve of you selling puppies, but this is no way to present the dogs to your customers. Number 3, I work at a vet and even if it "falls through the grate" it still STINKS. CLEAN IT! Number 4, you suck

unfortuetly petstores have to keep the male bettas in small cups, because you cant generally place them into community tanks safely.
    Also bettas were bred to live in small rice fields, it is safe to assume that they dont mind smaller invironments. *these cups are only tempory* keep that in mind too, usually bettas sell pretty quickly, more so when there is a two for one fish day.. I dont think housing male bettas in a cup is really a bad thing, as long as you clean them by-daily, and make sure people dont get the bright idea of mixing the cups together (it happens).
    Because bettas come in shipments of around 20+ at a time, it is hard to have that amount of larger habitats available, especially if you are a small petstore retailer..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

They can survive being in a cup. They don't need oxygenated (?) water, they breathe air. Although I do think they do better in a larger environment. My manager at Petsmart was telling customers they can be kept in the cup you by them in..I didn't like that too much. It's not much money to buy a simple bowl or vase at walmart in the crafts section. And usually if they don't want to buy a bigger bowl, they won't want to clean the cup, and it will get dirty and the fish will die. And the rice paddies aren't 4 inch deep holes in the ground. These are rice paddies:

But the cups are the easiest ways to house them short term. The reptile/fish specialty a couple of towns over actually has these glass bowls with squiggly edges, they're at least 2 liters, they fit right on top of each other and still let air in-it's very nice to see a little bit of change. Of course they charge more, but at least its not just a cup.

I don't mean to hijack your post..but in addition, I thought about calling someone about our local "Pet Mart" in Tampa. Along with selling hatchling turtles, they have an African Grey in a portion of a cage I could barely house a Cockatiel in, and about 30 finches in a cage MAYBE 10 could live in. Their small animal/rodent section is entirely overfilled with animals, and it stinks. Their fish tanks arent the healthiest looking either, I don't think anyone gets in there and scrubs them.

I think the only thing they take care of is their water plants.

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    I don't mean to hijack your post..but in addition, I thought about calling someone about our local "Pet Mart" in Tampa. Along with selling hatchling turtles, they have an African Grey in a portion of a cage I could barely house a Cockatiel in, and about 30 finches in a cage MAYBE 10 could live in. Their small animal/rodent section is entirely overfilled with animals, and it stinks. Their fish tanks arent the healthiest looking either, I don't think anyone gets in there and scrubs them.

I think the only thing they take care of is their water plants.
    Its really horrible I saw like 3 coketeils in a cage fit for one! and the poor budgies can hardly fly aroud because there are SO many in one cage

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    They can survive being in a cup. They don't need oxygenated (?) water, they breathe air. Although I do think they do better in a larger environment. My manager at Petsmart was telling customers they can be kept in the cup you by them in..I didn't like that too much. It's not much money to buy a simple bowl or vase at walmart in the crafts section. And usually if they don't want to buy a bigger bowl, they won't want to clean the cup, and it will get dirty and the fish will die. And the rice paddies aren't 4 inch deep holes in the ground. These are rice paddies:

But the cups are the easiest ways to house them short term. The reptile/fish specialty a couple of towns over actually has these glass bowls with squiggly edges, they're at least 2 liters, they fit right on top of each other and still let air in-it's very nice to see a little bit of change. Of course they charge more, but at least its not just a cup.
    Thanks I never knew thatIts just in the petstore i felt sorry for them all beside each over in teeny weeny cup