Thread: Stupid people at our animal shelter!!

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

Stupid people at our animal shelter!!

Hey everyone,

Today we were taking our girls to the dog park and saw a dog without a leash or collar. We asked everyone around if she belonged to them, and then decided to take her to the animal shelter.

She was quite aggressive at first, and I almost said forget it and leave her there. I noticed, however, that her tail was tucked between her legs. She was being aggressive out of fear. I crouched down and put my hand out. She slowly approached, licked my hand, and then jumped up and licked my face.

She was SO sweet once I gained her trust. She wanted to play with me, and she leaned into my leg when I scratched her. She even flopped over and let me scratch her tummy.

I had Jason run her to the shelter (just down the block) while I stayed with our girls at the park. When he returned he got out of the car and said, "I have some bad news. She bit a lady at the shelter."

I, of course, wanted to know what had happened. She was SUCH a sweetie! Turns out the lady that Jason handed the dog over to had been dragging her across the floor because the dog had planted herself, and even said to Jason, "She's going back there whether she likes it or not!" Evidently, she freaked at the rough handling.

IMHO, it's HER DARN FAULT SHE GOT BITTEN! I would NEVER handle a dog like that, especially if it was a dog I didn't know.

Now the dog will most likely get PTS if not claimed. I completely understand putting down unsafe dogs, but this was NOT one of them. I definitely would not put her in a home with small children or inexperienced owners, but she could have made someone a wonderful dog.

Paul and Karen, feel free to move this to the dog house if you so choose. I didn't find this slightly controversial, but you might!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Well first off I don't believe they'd put her to sleep just for one accident. They'd have her go through a behavior/temperment test first and there they would notice she's fearful, NOT aggressive. That still doesn't improve her chances of being placed, but will let everyone know she did not bite out of aggression.

You're completely right though, you NEVER drag a scared animal by the collar and not expect something like that to happen! that lady seems like such a moron.

facebook

Aww poor girl. Mandy has fear aggression but it's moreso towards other dogs. I hope she finds a great home

That lady at the shelter should have KNOWN not to drag the poor girl like that but since she did and the dog bit her... that doomed her I am sure.. They'll quarantine her for 10 days for rabies then.......

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

sheesh, at the shelter I worked, the dogs were NEVER dragged like that. If the dog planted it feet, we used food, if that didn't work, a little tug with a long leash, if still no go, then the dog would be tied up, played with & attempted to be picked up. if that was still a no go, the rod came out & the dog would be lead & someone would push the back end making the move easier.. if the dog snapped or snarled, it would be muzzled & then carried.

Poor little girl. That was definitely a provoked attack. It's obvious the dog has been abused. You've got to take special care when handling a dog like that. Poor thing. I hope they try and work with her. She needs a loving, caring home, NOT to be pts.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!