Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yay for Kansas!

Yay for Kansas!

I heard on CNN this morning that Kansas has passed a law that now if schools teach the theroy of evolution, they must also teach the theroy of an intelligent creator too. They must give "both" views. They will not be teaching "religion" just that some believe the universe and world were created, not just an accident.

It's always puzzled me why some people want to believe they came from monkies anyway. Tomatoes and apples are both round and red and tomatoes were once known as "love apples", but they never evolved from each other.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

LOL. I don't know that I believe either, really. It bugs me sometimes that I don't know how we got here.

YAY! I think that's great. I never believed in evolution, always took the spiritual road. All schools should have to point out both views.

What about other ideas on the origin of the universe? Every religion has one. Should ALL of them be taught? Why just evolution and the Judeo/Christian ideas?

I think it’s essential that children are taught the different beliefs in school, so that they can form their own opinion. When I was in school in he 50ties, we learned about Christianity, but I also vaguely remember that someone mentioned we descend from the apes, but I don’t remember much info on science.

It’s interesting to see what people believe in different parts of the world, In USA and parts of Asia, it seems a lot more are religious, while in large parts of Europe, a bigger percentage of people are more interested in science.

I believe in science more than religion myself.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

ES, they are not teaching Genesis, they are teaching intelligent design. There's a big difference. Intelligent design is taught as someone/something designed and created the universe, not strictly the judeo christian concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    What about other ideas on the origin of the universe? Every religion has one. Should ALL of them be taught? Why just evolution and the Judeo/Christian ideas?
    I don't think they are actually teaching the Bible, just creation from a divine point of view.

Oops! Lady's Human - I think we posted at the same time

I hope they teach the constitution as well!

Fails to answer my question though! What if there is another theory? Say...unintelligent design. Must that be taught?

Here's one a very dear friend of mine sent me!

Intelligent Design

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Fails to answer my question though! What if there is another theory? Say...unintelligent design. Must that be taught?

Um...what exactly would that be?

EDIT: I think I misread your question - oops! I guess it's hard to say what would happen IF there was another theory, obviously they don't have to teach it since only evolution is taught in most public schools now. For such a loaded question such as where we come from, all credible theories should be taught and kids should be able to make up their own minds.

11. Sorry...I edited it into my reply above...

But seriously...unintelligent design....think of mosquitos....what is intelligent about the design of them????

Actually, it can be argued that Mosquitos are very intelligent design. They are efficient disease vectors, hence a built in curb on population.

I think leaving the debate in the schools at intelligent design vs. evolution would be sufficient. Two competing theories would be taught, leaving kids to figure out their own beliefs.

I have no problem with intelligent creation being taught in public schools as long as it is in a Religion class not a science class. In my mind there are no cold hard facts that this is the way the world was created, you have to take it on faith. While evolution may not be correct as we currently understand it, there are certainly more facts contributing to it veracity (fossils, skeletons, genetics, etc).

In my opinion (which does not coincide with Mr. Webster) a theory can be backed up with some form of verifiable fact.

A belief cannot be.

I have no issues with anyone who believes intelligent creation in whatever religious guise it falls under. I have a problem with teaching children something as a fact when it is more an article of faith. Intelligent design does have a place in public schools, but not in the science lab.
    The complete Knit-wit and occasional domestic diva.

Going to a church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Very well said Maresche and I completely agree.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

15. Intelligent design is not a scientific theory. It is a belief. It does not belong in a science curriculum. And you fail to answer the question. Why stop at two?