Thread: help a newbie, dog constantly wines and moans

help a newbie, dog constantly wines and moans

Hey, ive just got a new Yorkshire Terrier dog, from a previous owner, because she is having a baby and cannot cope with both.

Basically, the dog is well behaved, but when its on its own, or even when we are giving it some attention, it whines like its crying and lets out little soft barks. Is it just upset that it is not with its old family? because this sound goes RIGHT through all of us, and we are wondering if it will ever stop? its worse when my dad goes to work, and in between that and me getting up, it just sits their and wines, i try to ignore it but it always ends up with me getting up and petting it. it stops for a bit, but then as soon as i go it starts again.

So does anyone have any ideas how to stop this painful noise?
    thanks

How long have you had it? It should go away with time. When I got my 8 week old Akita pup, he cried a little bit every night when he was in his cage (for his crate training), so I would just pick him up and put him in the yard so he could go potty. He only did that for a couple days, eventually he would just go back to sleep ...I think your dog may just need time to adjust

today is its third day here. thanks for the advice

My pleasure, good luck with your little furry one

She might just need time to adjust to her new home. The constant whining and crying is not something you want to reinforce, make her comfortable give her toys and play with her. Do not however, give her any attention when she whines or cries.

Quote:
    "i try to ignore it but it always ends up with me getting up and petting it. it stops for a bit, but then as soon as i go it starts again. "

You are reinforcing the behavior whining and crying. Your dog thinks, if I whine long enough someone will give in and give me the attention I want. A good example is a slot machine, humans keep putting money in because you just never know when it might pay off, it might be a quick pay off or it might take a very long time. A dog thinks the same way, if they hold out long enough you will pay off (get up and pet, cuddle, or give her attention). My boyfriends 9 year old Golden Retriever whinned every time she greeted someone, he tired to break her of this but could not. I said whenever the dog whinned you ignored her, she became invisiable, as soon as she stopped whining you gave her tons of attention. I am happy to say within a few weeks the whinning had totally stopped. The most important thing is to never reinforce (or give) in the crying or whinning. Wait until she is quiet even if it for a second, lots of attention and praise, if she starts again, pull your hands away and turn your head. It's important that everyone in the family do this. It is possible to stop this behavior and you and the dog will be much happier in the long run.
    Good luck.

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.