Thread: ok what should i do

ok what should i do

how do i get molly to stop chewing on EVERYTHING we have tried to get her toys to chew on and they are gone in 5 minutes max. and she has chewed the stuffing out of my comforter and we have had to sew the pillows on the couch a few times. i just dont know what to do i love her dearly but she needs to stop chewing on everything.

How old is she? Is she teething? Soak a washcloth in chicken broth, twist it and freeze it, it'll be yummier than other things, and it's cheaper to replace than furniture.

Seriously, how old is she, how long have you had her, what breed is she, etc?

Go to your local pet store and purchase a product called "Bitter Apple Spray" or any other chewing deterrant. Its safe to spray on pretty much everythign -- plants, furniture, carpet, clothing, shoes, table legs, etc. It leaves a nasty taste in their mouth so chewing on them is not desireable any more.

SOME dogs aquire a taste for it though and actually LIKE the taste after awhile. I remember when my parents' dog was a puppy she would get into the trash a lot so they finally started putting tobasco sauce on the top of the trash and it only took her getting into it once or twice and she NEVER did it again.

facebook

molly

molly is almost 1 she will be 1 next month. she is golden retriever/heeler mix. although i think she has more in her than that. i have had some say she looks like she has pit in her and german shephard and lab. so i dont know exactly. shes a sweetie though.

Sounds like you'll have to get her chews & toys that are for strong
    chewers. Toys like kongs and maybe some strong chewable rawhide.
    Your dog at that age is really still very much puppy like.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I would definately make sure she is in a crate with a big fat bone or toy everytime you leave the house until she finishes teething. When you are home make sure to supervise her when out of the crate. When she starts misbehaving by chewing on your furniture again I would pick her up and put her in the crate again with a chew toy or bone. Maybe she will begin to understand what she can and can't chew on. Good luck!

Our new rescue, Chloe, will take our clothes or shoes and chew them. She has plenty of chew bones and toys, but either buries them or ignore them. I guess she only wants something that is ours (smell, etc.) She also unstuffs all of Mika's toys, and Mika is so good about never damaging her toys.

All the breeds you mention need tons of exercize she may be bored . Are you able to give her several hours of running and playing out side? I would also keep her in an area when your gone and provide lots of toys and chewys.
    I've been boo'dMerlin my angel

I agree with the others, well except for the reccomendation of rawhide.
    A rawhide should only be given to puppies/dogs that have already learned what they can & can not chew on. A rawhide teaches the dog to chew and chew and chew and then it will be yummy. So a puppy that eats rawhides will most likely be more apt to chew on other things, thinking that if she chews them long enough they too will become tasty.
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Quote Originally Posted by lv4dogs
    I agree with the others, well except for the reccomendation of rawhide.
    A rawhide should only be given to puppies/dogs that have already learned what they can & can not chew on. A rawhide teaches the dog to chew and chew and chew and then it will be yummy. So a puppy that eats rawhides will most likely be more apt to chew on other things, thinking that if she chews them long enough they too will become tasty.

Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this. During my dogs
    puppy stages I would give them anything safe to chew on (even rawhides)
    till they outgrew the puppy teething stage. Smokey was such a bad chewer
    that he would actually walk around the house with his mouth open. He looked
    like a crocodile on the hunt. Most dogs outgrow that stage of intense chewing.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I agree your dog might be bored and need some exercise. I don't agree about giving raw hide, it can be dangerous if your puppy swallows a piece it cannot be seen(they are transparent) with X-rays. With all chew toys you must always supervise your dog. Stuffed Kongs are good for chewers and boredem. Also plain white bones, the sterilized kind are good, they don't break off and ok for a dog when left alone. You might have to rub a little peanut butter inside to get your dog intrested. My 15 month old Golden Retriever puppy loves hers.

Thanks kittycats_delight for the great signature.

I would say that your dog needs a few things to help you conquer her chewing habits:

1) Forget the cute fuzzy toys, buy only the very tough and durable rubber toys. For instance, KONG created an Ultra KONG that is much harder to destroy and is for the destructive chewer. There are also tire biter products. I would also not consider edible bones a "toy" - they can be eaten too fast!

2) Being a Golden/Heeler mix means she has a good deal of energy and immaculate intelligence. You need to keep her busy everyday to relay some of that chewing as she is probably do it out of boredom also. Try enrolling her in some obedience classes or taking up agility with her. A romp in the yard or quick walk will not be enough for her.

3) Crate her when your gone. It's not mean - its safe. What I always tell students is wouldn't you rather come home to a living dog with more energy or a dog that has choked on something? You can also crate her when you can't keep an eye on her. This way you will be able to redirect any negative behavior positively.

Good luck.