Thread: litter box problems

litter box problems

we have a new bengal kitten, he is 13 weeks old ,and has been with us for two weeks, I can not get him litter trained, he loves to poop in the corners, and he has used my bed as a litter box twice, I send everything out to be cleaned ,so I am sure there is no smell left. just this morning I found pee in the mitten box , he does use the litter box occasionaly, and I praise him, I keep it as clean as possible scooping after each time it is used .When I see him pooping in the corner I let him finish ,than scoop him up and take him down stairs to his box . My husband wants me to give him a scut in the behind???????? I really don't want to . any ideas ??? I thought he was getting better , (haven't found any messes in two days). This morning I have found a new spot he is using, I cleaned it with windex with amonia in it, as it is a hardwood floor .I have never had this problem with a kitten before other than the litter box problems ,he is a spectacular new addition to my home and we love him dearly but I can't have my home smell like a litter box

At my wits end in New Brunswick

Hitting your kitten will NOT solve the problem. You need to isolate him in a room with his litterbox, food and water for 24-48 hours. He SHOULD get the idea.

When I brought my very first kitty Mollie Rose (now 12 years old) home, she kept pooping behind my livingroom chair. That's what the vet told me to do and it worked like a charm. If you have an upstairs and downstairs, you might want to get another litterbox and put it where he's going.

Has your kitten been to the vet yet?? Might also want to rule out any medical problems.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

No I have no intention of hitting Gamba, but when he is pooping in front of us do I stop him in the middle of it???? or do I let him finish and then correct him ??? Yes he has been to the vets and has a clean bill of health, he is still very young and maybe just a little confused, the house is quite large , but I really don't want to add another box,

Quote Originally Posted by chick from the squash
    but I really don't want to add another box,
    Might be worth the short term inconvenience if it solves kitty's problem
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

another box

I am sure it would not solve the problem ,as he has gone in six or seven different places now. Just last night he pooped on hubbys overalls, that were outside the door of the room where his box is. I put him in the room and closed the door for the night, but I also have another cat. so I got up at 4 am and opened the door and held Gamba for a bit. while the other cat came down and used his box. Gamba ran in the room and did the same, he has used it three times today. just when I think he has gotten the idea .he poops in the corner. maybe this is the last time (I hope ) Has anyone ever heard of the cat litter called pine bark pellets?? It is what the breeder was using and if I could find it it would probably solve my problem , I don't think he likes the litter,(scoop away )for multiple cats
    Last edited by chick from the squash; 11-08-2005 at 10:05 AM. Reason: have more to add

Well, DUH!!!! I didn't even THINK to ask you whether or not you change the litter. That is probably your problem. Cats don't like change. I use Feline Pine, which are pine pellets. If the cat is used to that, I'd find out where the breeder got it and go get some. I'll be you once he's back to his old litter, the whole thing will turn out well.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

every place I call here in New brunswick ,they have never heard of this litter. I have e-mailed the breeder to see if she can help, but she is in Ontario, i will keep searching, Thanks

I can relate

I have a 2-year-old kitty named Bonnie, and she has had a similar problem as your Bengel baby. She pees anywhere she likes. She did this when I brought her home at 6 weeks, and she has never stopped. Mind you, she has not done it everyday, but enough to call it 'frequently.'

For a while she stopped -- when I first began using 'Cat Attract' kitty litter. Then I agreed to foster a litter of 6 orphans (ugh!) and during that time she started again. I thought after the last kitty was adopted out she'd start behaving again, but she has not.

I called the vet just yesterday, and she said to start the re-training process, just as one of the previous responders suggested. She said one cat was so headstrong that it had to be boarded at the vet and it took a MONTH to get her squared away.

I am really distraught over this. No options are easy.

Cleaning with an ammonia based product just makes the problem worse. The ammonia attracts them to the spot for a repeat performance. Use vinegar or a product like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Simple solution makes a formula especially for cat urine & spray.

DrFosterSmith.com will ship to you wherever you are.

It would really help to add at least one more litter box. I have 7 cats and 8 litter boxes in the cat room alone. When I let the cats out at night, I add a litter box near the livingroom. And my house is very small.

I've been using Urine Off and it seems to be working. No urine smell; it removes it completely. Give a whirl.

Blessings,
    Mary

the problem is gone , he has gone in his box for the last three days, i think it just took him a while to catch on, afterall he is a baby, thanks to everyone for your input,
    candace

Litter

Are you using scented or unscented litter? When I got my cat as a kitten (he is now 8 years old), he wouldn't use the litterbox. I discovered that he wanted UNscented litter and he has been perfect ever since!
    Angela and Buttons

only pee in the litterbox

What can you do for a cat who will pee in the litterbox, but poops outside the box, next to it? I clean the litterbox nearly every day and have to pick the poop up off the floor. When I catch her beforehand, and tell her "no, use your litter box", she will poop in it. She seems to know what she is supposed to do, but doesn't seem to want to do it. Help! She is otherwise a perfect kitty.