Thread: Is this totally weird?

Hybrid View

Is this totally weird?

Levi, our one male cat who has given us a bit of a difficult time while we tried to get his idiopathic cystitis diagnosed, has now taken to peeing in the bathroom sink! He did it once yesterday, when my husband was using the bathroom, and once again today, while I was! Is this bizarre, or is it a kind of "patterning" behavior? He hasn't peed anywhere else inappropriate (e.g., nowhere outside his litter box) that we can tell, save the sink!

I'm of the mind that this is okay -- I'd much rather keep my beloved Levi and let him pee in the sink from time to time (easy enough to clean!), but my hubby worries that Levi has returned to his "flares" of just peeing "wherever."

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? Levi has been doing awesome on his meds -- no negative side effects whatsoever, and no inappropriate peeing whatsoever -- and has been just lovely company overall, so maybe he's just discovering a new "okay" place to pee and/or likes the company????

One of my friend's cats (Buffy) does this. It is the only non-litterbox place she goes. I always have pee-buddies (there are two boxes in the bathroom off my bedroom) and whenever I go, one of the cats is sure to join me in their box. If there is no other behavior change and no other non-litter peeing going on, I would not worry about it.... As you say it is easy enough to clean and I think the cats are just going as they perceive their humans are.

I have had a few cats over the years that have done the same thing, nothing to worry about really unless they start doing it elsewhere.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Pepper Pee Pod Pie pees in the kitchen sink every now and then. This is the only inappropriate place she goes. At first I thought it was a sign of a urinary tract infection, but she's been fine every time I took her to the vet. I figured she did it because she thinks her pee smells better than the garbage disposal. Please tell your husband that it's been 2 years now and this is the only inappropriate place she's ever peed. It hasn't gotten worse but we haven't managed to completely break her of this nasty habit.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

At least as you say,you can just turn on the Hot Water.
    Shemp the Siamese will pee elsewhere if his Litter Box,is not immaculate,I have to keep on top of that all the time.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS