Thread: Antivirus question

Antivirus question

I keep getting a popup on the bottom of my computer screen from Windows Security Center saying my virus defnitions are out of date. Odd, because my MacAfee supposedly automatically updates whenever a new update is available. So then I manually check for updates, it runs its little thing and MacAfee tells me my virus definaitions ARE up to date, that there are no updates to download. Now who do I believe? The Windows Sevcurity Center or my MacAfee? Why would one contradict the other?

Anyone else get this message? What do I do? I TRY to be proactive about viruses and spyware, so I do run a lot of scans and updates... so this is confusing me, and definately causing me some concern.

I use Norton Anti Virus (If MacAfee was the only anti virus out there I'd do without, hate that software). If you uninstall and re-install it should fix the problem, I've had it happen a couple times even with Norton. I personally think it was because something tried to hack my system.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Microsoft likes trying to take over everything on your computer. Sometimes it THINKS its helping when really its not. MAKE SURE you have McAfee set as your default virus program on your computer and that Windows knows that lol

To do so go to your control panel and then to the security center. You can turn off options there or even turn off options for windows to try to automatically update your virus program, especially if your virus program updates itself on its own.

facebook

It's possible you actually have a virus. I was getting a similar pop up (I also use McAfee) and when I would check my program, it was always disabled. I would go enable it and it would almost immediately disable again. I updated everything then did a complete virus scan and it found one. Only one, but it was in several places. It was actually a virus that disables your antivirus software. So try running the virus scan and see what it finds. Once I found the virus and cleaned it, I've had no problems with any popups.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Oh, and after re-reading your post, do what Jessika said and make sure you've told Windows that McAfee is your antivirus software of choice, but also be sure to check for any Windows updates. Windows is constantly sending out updates which are different from your McAfee updates, so maybe that's what it's trying to tell you.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Be careful. There are hackers out there that spoof the Windows anti-virus updates and will load a virus on your machine. To be safe, it's best to stick with McAfee and cross-reference for any other updates.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I tried what Jessika suggested, and it took me right back to the widow that was already open that said my virus protection was out of date.... I can't see anywhere here to set which is the default?

I'm lost on this one!

Attached is the pop-up that I got when I went to control panel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Could the McAfee anti-virus contract have expired? Maybe it means it's time to renew? This is really puzzling.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

If you haven't already, go to Microsoft's website and download Microsoft Anti Spyware and run it on your machine. IF, as someone above me suggested, it is spyware causing this to popup, Microsoft AntiSpyware may be able to detect it.

And while on the topic of good antivirus and spyware detecting programs, no computer should ever be without the following:

- SpyBot Search & Destroy
    - AdAware
    - Microsoft AntiSpyware

I have and run more than these three programs (if you'd like to know my whole setup, pm me ) but these three programs run every few days on your computer should help out immensly with the threat of malware
    Last edited by Jessika; 11-05-2005 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typos! :(

facebook

I have all three on my computer. I HATED the Microsoft one -- it was causing all sorts of issues with my design program for work. Considering I spent $2500 just for the design program, and Microsoft's free Beta program was making the program inoperable, I uninstalled it. Not only that, it never once found even one piece of spyware. The Adawre and spybot do a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    The Adawre and spybot do a great job.
    Oooh I agree there but sometimes people think "ohh its microsoft it MUST work/be good!!" so I recommend it just in case. Not to mention no one knows your OS better than Microsoft so *sometimes* it has its perks. But you're right I personally prefer Adware and Spybot ♥♥♥

facebook