Thread: Cleaning solvents toxic to cats!!

Cleaning solvents toxic to cats!!

I was trying to help King2005 find something on ammonia toxicity in cats. I read where Pine-Sol is toxic to cats. I feel bad because I just got through scrubbing the kitchen floor with Lemon scented Pine-Sol!!! MooShoo walked in as I was finishing and the floor was still wet. I DID wipe the floor down after cleaning it. But I made sure I also wiped his paws so he didn't ingest any. According to what I read, it can cause serious liver damage in cats. ANY cleaner containing Phenol is toxic to cats.

So, BEWARE!! Pine-Sol is toxic to cats if they walk through it and then lick their paws. Because Pine-Sol contains heavy amounts of pine oils, a cat's system cannot digest it and they can get very sick.
    Last edited by moosmom; 11-02-2005 at 06:14 PM. Reason: need to clarify

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

thanks for that info....

Another reason not to do house work!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Another reason not to do house work
    I'm all for that!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

Yup, I don't clean with Pine-Sol, but I do use Mr. Clean and I am paranoid of the cats coming into contact with it before I rinse and dry everything.

If You Don't Talk To Your Cat About Catnip, Who Will?
    I posted a while back in Cat Health about any cleaners with the "SOL" ending being hazardous. Lysol, Pine Sol.....I use them as well, but rinse well. Most of the time I use Clorox to wash floors though.
    ~*~ "None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed".
    Author Unknown ~*~

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~BRRR~ I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!~ BRRR~

The trouble being that when I start cleaning, at least a few of the 11 Found Cats will immediately run in the wet area,and then away again.
    And I use Lysol Pine,and hope that they get nothing on thier paws.
    I do a little area at a time,due to age,and Cats!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Wait a minute... Who has ever heard of CLEANING a FLOOR? I mean, that's where your feet go. It will just get dirty again...
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

Thanks for the info .... I am notorious for using Pine Cleaners ... love the clean smell. Of course, here lately I do the hands and knees thing, and wipe dry as I go. What I won't tell is how long in between cleanings I go!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Kim,

I HATE cleaning floors!!! But this floor was awful. I mean, it's a typical guys apartment complete with beer and mayonnaise in the fridge. They'd spill something and not wipe it up. I got down on my knees and scrubbed 2 rows of tiles at a time, wiping them clean as I went along. I did it in a 2 day stretch cuz it was FILTHY!!!! Now I don't mind going into the kitchen in my bare feet.