Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bird Adivice..???

how old

how old is she

about cokatials being shy about being held

i think its because it could be needing to be used to it and it will not be shy
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.NEC-D156618C862\My Documents\My Videos\My Pictures\redfire.gif

i'm not sure how old she is

we have been putting our hands in the cage everyday touching her "spikes" and she seems to like that, she didnt like it the first couple of days but now shes getting used to us, should we keep doing stuff like that so she gets used to use touching her?

this might sound stupid but...do females need males to lay eggs? or do they lay them and the male fertalizes them? i guess i never was told about birds and eggs.

no they don't need males

Keep petting spike and feeding her treats try to start teaching her the up(having her step up on your finger)maybe in a week or so go slow female tiels will sometimes lay eggs even when they have no mate,let them sit on the eggs for a week or so before takeing them away,they need a male to have eggs that will hatch into chicks,they can't be hatchable eggs inless she has a male to breed with which i don't think you want to do.Like i said birdtalkmagazine.com has good info and so does the magazine itself Cockatiels for dummies is a great book you can probable get it at a libery or pet store like petco

i just looked at her now and shes shaking, and its not even cold in here so i dont know whats wrong, and when i got home she was eating so she didnt want to talk to me, but when she was done i went over there and talked to her and she did say anything, ihope nothing is wrong.

what treats are the best? i got some "sesame crispies" but she doesnt seem to like them, unles they are too big for her.

shaking

is spike by the air duct? my that is why is is shaking or it could be you scared her(my tiel freaks when i am by her with something new like a stuffed bear)my tiel likes kaytee nutri-puffs(spicy flavor)and nutri berries(she loves them i feed her them as food along with zupreem pellets but they can be used as a treat too)you could also give her bits of apple,or a seedflower seed.

tiels

when my tiel eats she doesn't even look my way inless i am holding the food she is eating or wants,if they don't tweet at you nothing is wrong,emmy tweets usually when i get home,when she gets up,and when ever she thinks i should let her out of her cage

try diff.treats

try differnt treats tiels are like people just because mine like nutri-puffs don't mean spike will,i alwas try to get treats that say cockatiel or small hookbill on them

just awhile ago there was a loud sound upstairs that scared her, she flew around the cage, and now she seems scared of me, my boyfriend said that she might be scared because im wearing black, but i dont know. i just hope shes okay now from freaking out that bad.

teil

it is probably not because you are wearing black it was the noise i am 99.9 percent positve a loud bang on my tv scared emmy once intil she got used to the tv

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"

Spike may or may not be a Spikette!

All cockatiels look the same until they go through their first molt. Any reputable breeder will not even guess as to the sex of a tiel until the molt. So, if you have a baby, you can't be sure of the sex. The only way to find out is to either 1) call the place where Spike was purchased; or 2)Wait for Spike to molt.

Fruits and veggies may take dozens of exposures before your tiel will even try them. One of my birds' favorites is the tops of carrots. They love them!

A lot of nervous behavior at first is very normal. Spike is getting used to a new house with new sounds and smells, and new people, too. Give him/her time to adjust.

The only way to get a tiel to enjoy handling is by handling them. Don't be too forceful, but try to spend as much time with Spike as possible. At first you may want to spend time with Spike just near her cage, then putting your hand in, then taking Spike out.

Keep us updated with pictures and let us know how the two of you are doing!
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

spike has been quiet latley, just a little chirp now and then.

next wed we are leaving for Pheniox for 4 days, and we are having a neighbor watch spike, im sure she will be okay, ill get her another toy and treats for the nieghbor to feed her. the neighbor is comming over tomorrow to meet spike and get to know her so she is comferable around the neighbor.

here are some more pics i took of her...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	24677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled2.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	24678  

good idea

good idea to have you friend meet spike before you leave spike with her You don't to use this toy but i think spike will like it
    it's a toy by fetch-it-pets called a ZigZag it is small and made for a cockatiel it is about $5 at petsmart